Ruger 3 screw Blackhawks.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteveSt

Bearcat
Hello Ruger Fans.

I have fallen in love with Old model, 3 screw, Ruger Blackhawks and have acquired 4 so far.

Top to bottom.
357 mag.
41 mag
44 mag
45 Colt.

The 45 Colt has the ejector missing from it due to a broken screw. Repairs are "planned soon"
The 44 has a Vent Barrel attachment on it. It helps find the sight and I like it.

IMG_3072.JPG

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Nice bunch of Old Models you have there. Here's a little info for you about them.

The .357 is an honest good looking shooter,, and was likely made in 1966.

The .41 mag was made in 1970,, and someone added a rifle front sight to it. The .41's are what many serious handgunners call the best sleeper caliber.

The .44 mag Super Blackhawk was likely made in 1972. Someone added an aftermarket vent rib, which is easily removed is desired. They used a "sticky tape" to attach those if I recall correctly. And again, if my memory is correct,, Pachmyer made them. No longer available. It's also wearing the Pachmyer "baby buggy bumper" grips (as our esteemed & respected past owner here who has joined the Rugers & other shooters in heaven liked to call the grips.) Someone also added the red insert on the front sight.

The .45 Colt,, is hard to tell when it was made but either in 1972 or 1973. The serial number isn't easily read. BUT.... those OM's were made in a little less quantity than the .44 Flattops of the early years. Very desirable. Make sure you get the repairs done RIGHT. There are specific parts that are necessary to fix it correctly. A broken screw needs to be carefully extracted,, and then the proper screw, ejector, and housing can be replaced.

A nice bunch of shooters for sure. While (2) of them have modifications that would require a re-blueing (the .41 & the 44,) due to the way the front sights have been done, they are still good ones to have!

If you think of those items above the barrel as "antlers" instead of front sights or vent ribs, it makes it seem more Christmas-like.
That makes these guns kinda like presents, and who doesn't like presents? Shoot them every chance you get, especially that .41!

Oldhand

Bearcat
I have a flat top three screw 357 made in 1959, and a 45 Colt three screw made in 1972. The 45 had oversize chambers that slightly bulged the cases. I sent it back to Ruger who replaced the cylinder at no charge but updated the safety. No choice they wouldn't touch it unless I agreed.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have a flat top three screw 357 made in 1959, and a 45 Colt three screw made in 1972. The 45 had oversize chambers that slightly bulged the cases. I sent it back to Ruger who replaced the cylinder at no charge but updated the safety. No choice they wouldn't touch it unless I agreed.
DID THEY RETURN THE ORIGINAL PARTS?
lOOK UNDER THE FOLDED-OVER FLAP IN THE RETURN BOX (TOP PORTION)

j.

Oldhand

Bearcat
Johnnu2, yes they did. I have no complaint, they replaced the cylinder at no cost. Aligns and has tight chambers. I miss the four clicks but can now carry six safly.

contender

Ruger Guru
Oldhand,, you can easily reverse the conversion Ruger did and make it a sweet 4-click action again. You have your parts,, and it's just a matter of swapping them back in. When the conversion is done,, there is no modification to the gun itself.
So, swap them back, then load one, skip one, load four, fully cock & lower the hammer on an empty chamber.

Oldhand

Bearcat
Thanks, I know the procedure as I have owned this three screw for 30 years. Also have the 357 unmolested flat top. Just don't feel comfortable taken her apart. Shoots fine as is. Could take her to a gun Smith friend of mine. We will see.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Johnnu2, yes they did. I have no complaint, they replaced the cylinder at no cost. Aligns and has tight chambers. I miss the four clicks but can now carry six safly.
Oldhand......... just FYI, your old parts are easily worth $125-$150 to those of us who keep them in our "stash" so we can convert-back guns we find that have been "safety" converted. If you decide to sell, you can put them in our Classifieds section (you may need to attain a certain "post rate" before you can do that (?). Personally, I would keep them to enhance the value of your gun if you decide to re-sell it.
J.

I have a 3 screw from '68 that I bought at gunshow and it had been "updated" with transfer bar, etc. I wanted to take it back to original and the folks on this forum helped me get that done. Great resources here.

Oldhand

Bearcat
Thanks for the info guys, but I could never sell this gun. You see it was made March of 1972. Same month and year we were married. She has passed on after 50 years of marriage. It was our anniversary gun in our thoughts. She bought the Ivory grips in the avatar for another anniversary. I might reverse the safety back at a later date.

contender

Ruger Guru
Oldhand,, good to know you understand the OM's and loading & all. I hope you weren't offended by my post. You being new,, (here) we try to assist with good info. And many of us can appreciate the sentiment attached to the gun! Keep it and the parts together.
As for swapping out the parts,, it's actually very easy as compared to many other guns. In fact,, the OM's are VERY enjoyable to work on because they are so simple. Even easier than the New Model Rugers. An owners manual, several online videos, and other resources are out there. My single best advice part is to use PROPERLY fitting screwdrivers. If you don't have those,, then your gunsmith friend will have them.
Heck,, search around here,, I'm sure there's an old post with the simple procedure on how to take one apart, and re-assemble it. Truly,, it's not a hard thing to do.

Oldhand

Bearcat
Contender, I have the needed screw driver set gotten from Midwayusa many moons ago. No offence on this end. Thanks for the help.

firefiterjohn

Bearcat
Thanks for the info guys, but I could never sell this gun. You see it was made March of 1972. Same month and year we were married. She has passed on after 50 years of marriage. It was our anniversary gun in our thoughts. She bought the Ivory grips in the avatar for another anniversary. I might reverse the safety back at a later date.
Oldhand, I'm sorry for your loss; 50 years together is a milestone. May you always retain fond memories every time you hold it. Hopefully you have someone to pass it down to as well.

Latest posts