Rossi Lever Actions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DerekR

Bearcat
I have a Rossi 92 I bought back in the 90s. I love that gun. I fire mostly .38 Special, but I have hunted with it with 357. Mine is pre-safety, but I drilled/tapped and mounted a Williams receiver sight on mine. There is only one thing I would like to change on it. I'm tall and the carbine
butt plate on it is a tad too short. I have considered getting a custome leather butt-cover for it. Or, trading the carbine stock in on a rifle stock with the curved butt plate. By the way, with hot 357, that little carbine jumps pretty good. lol It will surprise you.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I too, would like to have a butt plate foam cushion for my 92. Anybody have one or can tell me where to get one?

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
I bought a brand new Rossi 357 Stainless at a gun show from a dealer last month. The action feels like butter believe it or not. It cycles like it has been worked over by a pro. BTW it was NIB. Got robbed on the price. Had to pay 750 OTD.
My last three 92 Rossi 92s were that smooth. All were made in the last several years.

My dealer ordered in my last Rossi .357 SS, Trapper for me. I had just purchased a Henry Brass .357 (no side gate). I traded him even up (after paying $1,100 for the Henry). The Henry was so heavy it was a joke.

(My dealer did not come up with that deal, it was my idea. I was happy to move that Henry.)

I also just purchased a Winchester/Miroku .357 SRC which I plan on keeping but the Rossi is a better gun.

Trooper Joe

I too, would like to have a butt plate foam cushion for my 92. Anybody have one or can tell me where to get one?
It's not currently in stock, but the Rossi store offers the buttstock for the .454 Casull which matches the current finish on most of the new guns and has a recoil pad installed for $60.

I should not be asking this but of course the lever action handgun caliber rifles appeal to me even though I don't need them. A local auction house is having an estate auction and one that caught my eye was a Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum. What might be a good auction price on one of these. Now, this auction has 56 guns, probably 50 are rifles. Anywhere from Sako's, Winchesters (including lever actions), Brownings, Remingtons, Berettas, Mossbergs, J.C. Higgns, Ithaca, and others. I'm thinking that with this eclectic collection, the Rossi go at a decent price but I don't know the value of it. I'll be checking GB completed to see but I thought I'd ask the group to see what y'all think.

I should not be asking this but of course the lever action handgun caliber rifles appeal to me even though I don't need them. A local auction house is having an estate auction and one that caught my eye was a Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum. What might be a good auction price on one of these. Now, this auction has 56 guns, probably 50 are rifles. Anywhere from Sako's, Winchesters (including lever actions), Brownings, Remingtons, Berettas, Mossbergs, J.C. Higgns, Ithaca, and others. I'm thinking that with this eclectic collection, the Rossi go at a decent price but I don't know the value of it. I'll be checking GB completed to see but I thought I'd ask the group to see what y'all think.
A brand new one in stainless is $619 on Egunco. A blue 16" is $580. I would think $400‐450 would be a decent price for a used one without knowing it's history. From what I've read on various forums, there have been past editions that are not as reliable as the newer models. I currently have 3 and they have all been reliable and accurate.

DGW1949

Hunter
That's interesting. How did you find out that the Blackhawk spring is compatible with the Rossi?
I had one in my parts collection. It looked like it was less stiff and better made than the Rossi spring so I tried it...That was almost 20 years ago and I've used Blackhawk springs in several Rossi's since.

DGW

larry8

Single-Sixer
That's interesting, although I do not have any Ruger SA guns or parts. I do have a modest amount of S&W parts but they are mostly for tricking them up to lower the trigger pull and make them work a little smoother. I have a few springs but they are not anywhere near what I could use on the Rossi. I haven't yet received he spring set that I ordered for the Rossi, but when I get it hopefully it will make it a little smoother. When I took the Rossi apart, I coated the internal parts with a Teflon-like slick material and that made the operation quite a bit smoother too.

larry8

Single-Sixer
It's not currently in stock, but the Rossi store offers the buttstock for the .454 Casull which matches the current finish on most of the new guns and has a recoil pad installed for $60.

shoprossi.com

Rossi R92 .454 Casull Stock Assembly

Factory replacement part Rossi R92.
shoprossi.com
shoprossi.com

My butt plate is like an angle plate (goes over the top of the wood) so I couldn't use the Casull type butt plate. I may have to get one of the rubber ones that just slip over the end.

My last three 92 Rossi 92s were that smooth. All were made in the last several years.

My dealer ordered in my last Rossi .357 SS, Trapper for me. I had just purchased a Henry Brass .357 (no side gate). I traded him even up (after paying $1,100 for the Henry). The Henry was so heavy it was a joke.

(My dealer did not come up with that deal, it was my idea. I was happy to move that Henry.)

I also just purchased a Winchester/Miroku .357 SRC which I plan on keeping but the Rossi is a better gun.

Trooper Joe
I'm in a similar situation. I have a gorgeous Henry Big Boy Silver with the 20" octagonal barrel. Weighs a ton. It's almost new- I put a tube of .38's through it and that was it. It's too pretty and too heavy to really enjoy. I was at my local shop yesterday and they had a couple of Rossi's there. I played with the .357 a bit. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it cycles and how nice the fit and finish was. I may see if he wants to do a trade deal.

shoprossi.com

Rossi R92 .454 Casull Stock Assembly

Factory replacement part Rossi R92.
shoprossi.com
shoprossi.com

My butt plate is like an angle plate (goes over the top of the wood) so I couldn't use the Casull type butt plate. I may have to get one of the rubber ones that just slip over the end.
On that one, you would replace the entire buttstock. It's a little longer length of pull, too.

Years ago, I got a recoil pad to extend the length of pull on my old mini 14. It was made just like the butt plate but extended the buttstock 1 inch longer. It would most likely work on the Rossi stock as it is made similarly with the curved buttplate that has a screw in the top of the stock.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I ordered a rubber butt "plate" (really a shock absorber) from Amazon that seems like it would fit. I'll see when it arrives. In case anyone knows how to install a rubber one, You just boil it for 5-10 minutes in clean water and it will expand enough to install it reasonably easy. when it cools it will shrink down to it's normal size.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Believe me; the recoil pad was a good idea for the .454 Casull, especially with the Buffalo Bore 360 grain rounds. I had no shoulder pain after a few rounds but there was some serious muzzle rise. I have a sling on it now to help with control.

Cholo

Staff member
I went to a big Atlanta gun store to look at lever action .357's. I liked the 16" Rossi but also wanted to see the Miroku .357.

In what way is the Rossi a better rifle than the Miroku?

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
I went to a big Atlanta gun store to look at lever action .357's. I liked the 16" Rossi but also wanted to see the Miroku .357.

In what way is the Rossi a better rifle than the Miroku?
The wood on the Winchester/Miroku is very proud. Sent it toWinchester repair and they said it was normal.

The Winchester/Miroku rebound hammer is not near as nice as the Rossi hammer/trigger system.

And finally there is that tang mounted safety on the Miroku. The Rossi also has that top mounted safety but, it is easily replaced with a plug.

Trooper Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0885.jpeg
    IMG_0885.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 48

Cholo

Staff member
The wood on the Winchester/Miroku is very proud. Sent it toWinchester repair and they said it was normal.
I did some reading about the Miroku last night and there were complaints about proud wood. Zooming in on your pics I have to admit it's ridiculous! Thanks for sharing that, and your other observations!

g5m

Blackhawk

The Winchester/Miroku rebound hammer is not near as nice as the Rossi hammer/trigger system.

And finally there is that tang mounted safety on the Miroku. The Rossi also has that top mounted safety but, it is easily replaced with a plug.

Trooper Joe
All I can say about that is that I have never seen a fit like that on a real Winchester rifle-- back when it was Winchester.

larry8

Single-Sixer
Just got the rubber butt plate and it was a bear to put on but it fits nicely and I think it will help with reducing the recoil.

Latest posts