Uncovered a group of rare Ruger double actions!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
In 1978 D.K. Hummel, a well respected Ruger collector and FFL holder, worked with 1st Sgt. Karl Krueger of Company #2 of the State Police of Crawford & Erie Counties in Pa. to order 12 stainless, fixed sight, double action revolvers WITH OUT THE 'WARNING' on the barrels. These unique guns have the pre-warning barrel markings on the left side of the barrel in place of the then standard 'warning'.

The only way to identify these unique (and previously unknown) guns is by serial number. :shock:

Even more interesting to me is who the State Police of Crawford & Erie Counties were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Police_of_Crawford_and_Erie_Counties

In other words, in the spirit of American 'Vigilantism', shall we say, a group of volunteers formed to fight crime (horse and cattle thieves) in the absence of an adequate official police presence. They managed to obtain a charter from the Pa. state legislature in 1872 giving the members full arrest powers and the right to carry firearms! So, in one sense they really were a full, official policing body.
In their later years they became more of an auxiliary or supplemental agency filling in for other law enforcement with traffic and crowd control at events such as county fairs, parades, and large church socials.
Their charter was not revoked until 2005 when the actual Pa. State Police began to be concerned that folks could be confused by their name, not to mention that they had out lived their usefulness as a full law enforcement agency.

The state charter required that this be a volunteer organization and that the members approved new members. By 1973 they were logging in the neighborhood of 19,000 hours of volunteer service in a year. By 2005, membership had dwindled to about 200 members from a high of 4,000 in the early 1940s at the height of WW II.

I know where 2 of these 12 are. :D
I'm guessing that there are 10 more loose out there to be found by collectors! :shock:

Chad: Do these State Police of Crawford & Erie Counties guns rate a new paragraph in your next edition? :shock:
Terry T

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Neat order! I find it interesting that they ordered 6 pairs of different models. Not exactly standardizing an issue sidearm. The GS-32's are consecutive. The Warning started in 1978, so these guns would be indistinguishable from similar guns made earlier that year, so they could only be identified by the SN.

rugerstainless

Bearcat
Terry,

I'm glad you are enjoying your new "find". 30 some years have passed since then.....

The Crawford State Police has a Facebook page, maybe you could start there to track them down. A few members showed up in 98' to my grandfather's funeral (I recall the uniform), but that was prior to the organization being disbanded. I would guess that they would have ordered automatics at some point in the 90's to replace the six-guns.

Terry T

Buckeye
I think a couple of things were at play in this purchase order.

1) This was a volunteer organization and members provided their own firearms.
By 1978, they were primarily engaged in traffic control and were no longer tracking down horse thieves. I would speculate that the revolvers were more a symbol of their authority than actually used for potential hard core criminal shoot outs.

2) D.K. Hummel was known for his Stainless Ruger collection. I speculate that he very cleverly figured that he could 'slip one past' Ruger if he stuck to Ruger's more common 'police' models. That they were all stainless and not blued tips D.K.'s hand. :shock:
As an FFL, D.K. obtained an inventory of acceptable guns for re-sale to members.

All of which begs a couple of the questions: Did they begin to transition to semi- autos in the later years, after 1978, along with other police organizations? And, were all of the currently unaccounted for guns on this purchase order actually sold to members of the State Police of Crawford and Erie Counties?

The Facebook web site for S. P. of Crawford and Erie Counties appears to be a computer manufactured page pulled from the wikipedia listing. It does not appear to me to be an active site.

"rugerstainless", do you have any photos of members of the S.P. of Crawford and Erie Counties in uniform? Love to see one, especially if they are armed.

I suppose my definition of 'find' and 'previously unknown' is if it's not in Chad's book. Obviously, some folks have known about these right along. :oops:
Terry T

rugerstainless

Bearcat
Terry,

I think I may even have a picture of DK in his uniform. Let me take a look with my uncle when I am in PA over Thanksgiving and I'll see what I can come up with.

I would think I could state with fair certainty that all the guns went to members of the unit, other than the two that were placed in the collection.

I'll try and get you that patch as well ;-)

Thanks. JON

chet15

Hawkeye
There are two memories I have of D.K. when we attended the Ruger collector theme shows in Pennsylvania in the early to mid 1980's.
First is the drawing of the Mauser broomhandle he made for the restaurant waitress who was asking him gun questions while we were at the awards banquet on Saturday evening, a drawing in pen and on one of their nice cloth napkins :lol:
Second was when I was discussing the guns on his display with him, we came onto the topic that he was able to order any Ruger without the warning address on them, and as I remember, preferred doing so. Guess the document that is shown goes right along with that.
I think D.K. had a LE license and I'm very sure he had a class 3 license, so he was probably able to get warningless guns pretty easy, if requested.

Terry T.....yes, special ordered as such without the rollmark will get those 8 revolvers another paragraph in the reference.
Chet15

rugerstainless

Bearcat
Chet,

You are quite correct on both licenses.

Please see my post re: the Alabama Sheriff Gun that I am about to post here.....

Terry T

Buckeye
Chad,
Thanks for the special consideration in The Reference. :D
Minor point but there are 12 (not 8) guns listed in the above purchase order. Each of the 12 is identified by model number and by Serial Number. :shock:
Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
Terry T said:
Chad,
Thanks for the special consideration in The Reference. :D
Minor point but there are 12 (not 8) guns listed in the above purchase order. Each of the 12 is identified by model number and by Serial Number. :shock:
Terry T

Thanks Terry T....my gaffe...sometimes my fingers type way faster than my thinking.
Chet15

street

Hunter
chet15 said:
There are two memories I have of D.K. when we attended the Ruger collector theme shows in Pennsylvania in the early to mid 1980's.
First is the drawing of the Mauser broomhandle he made for the restaurant waitress who was asking him gun questions while we were at the awards banquet on Saturday evening, a drawing in pen and on one of their nice cloth napkins :lol:
Second was when I was discussing the guns on his display with him, we came onto the topic that he was able to order any Ruger without the warning address on them, and as I remember, preferred doing so. Guess the document that is shown goes right along with that.
I think D.K. had a LE license and I'm very sure he had a class 3 license, so he was probably able to get warningless guns pretty easy, if requested.

Terry T.....yes, special ordered as such without the rollmark will get those 8 revolvers another paragraph in the reference.
Chet15
Chad! I too was at that restaurant that D. K. was drawing on the cloth napkin, and both me and my wife laughed about it years after that. Only my wife says it was on the cloth tablecloth that he was drawing on instead of the napkin. :lol: :lol: :lol: It seems that he needed a much bigger easel then the napkin. :lol: :lol: A lot of good memories of those RCA Monroeville shows.

Latest posts