Rossi Lever Actions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
I have taken 92s, 86s and 94 completely apart several times, mine. Not easy unless you do it all the time. They need a good cleaning once and awhile. I lay out all parts facing right. Then leave them there. Take a photo or photos. Each takes the better part of a full day from start to finish. Screws get messed up and need replaced after a few times.
How often do you do this ? I know it has a lot to do with the number of shots fired, so how many rounds do you shoot and or how much time goes by before doing this ? Just wondering.

How often do you do this ? I know it has a lot to do with the number of shots fired, so how many rounds do you shoot and or how much time goes by before doing this ? Just wondering.
The 94, 3 times in 30 years, the 86 2 times in 15 years, once was for repair and cleaned at same time. The 92 once when I bought it in 10 years. They get powder in the actions, the lube gets dried up, they just get dust in them from sitting for years. I don't have a number of rounds needed, I just do it if I have time and feel like it mostly. Few used guns I have bought which is many never get cleaned properly. I am betting the lever action rifles used in competition get tore down after most matches.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I know I can remove just the stock for most cleaning, but I'd run a bore snake thru the bore then clean patch with a light oil.

Jumping into this thread late. I have a stainless 16" bbl .454 casull model with the soft recoil pad and fiber optic sights, it loves the 300 gr hornadys. It's my go to nasty weather (snow,sleet, rain) deer gun.

I added the top mount peep and wanted to do the springs, etc. Have the kit with spring and steel follower.

My issue is that it is a stainless steel model and the stock is way too long for me. some are telling me to keep it stock to keep its value. replacement stock or just cut it?

1. my buddy says he can see that stainless steel across the mountain so I have it camo tape wrapped, but I'd like to get some sort of treatment. I like rust blue but since it's stainless that's not an option. Any thoughts on a duller finish?

2. Should I do the finish before I dig into it like you all are doing above?

If this post is appropriate here, I'd like to get you thoughts, if you feel I'm hijacking the OP's post let me know and I'll repost as new, just thought as long as you were all on the subject I post my questions here.
HiYa BisleyBuff,
I think your post is still on topic.
I originally planned to replace the wood with the tactical stocks on the Rossi website. But the stock fits me, and I don't want to lighten up the rifle. Plus the wood is sweet.

I was thinking of having the SS made into a matte finish and add a cerakote coating. Anyone have any experience doing that to a rifle?

I also want to add checkering to the forestock for a better grip surface.

Latest posts