Rossi Lever Actions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dude

Bearcat
I've had a Rossi Puma in .45 LC for years. I haven't shot it much lately though. It's always been accurate at ranges up to 100 yards and particularly at pistol ranges indoors.

I've reviewed it here --

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1450595/rifle_review_the_rossi_puma_m92_src.html?cat=7

The only problem is that little crack on the foregrip. However, I don't shoot the weapon enough to justify getting a replacement.

There have been all kinds of permutations in the "Puma" brand over the years. My current understanding it that the Rossi factory in Brazil is not the factory that makes current day Puma carbines which are sold by another company.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I was really interested in getting the new S&W stainless 44 with the plastic furniture for $1250. +/- (not the one with the wood furniture for$3400 +/-). Then I came across the Rossi R92 44 stainless 16" with nice wood stock, for $500 less, so at the Myrtle Beach Gun show today, I picked one up. Man unbelievably nice wood and IMO pretty high quality workmanship. Can't wait till I can get it to the armory to shoot it. However, nowhere in the manual does it say how to take it apart to clean it. Does anyone know where I can get the info on how to take it apart and clean it? Every time I buy a new or used gun I like to clean it before I shoot it, then after I shoot it clean it again.

... The only difference will be the safety, which honestly shouldn't be removed unless you intend to replace it.

I have a Rossi 92, and ended up replacing the safety with a bolt-mounted peep sight:

I subsequently replaced the factory Rossi rear sight on the barrel, with a spare "R"-marked Ruger 10/22 folding rear sight. I've found that I prefer the Rossi to multiple Marlins that I've owned in the past - the Winchester/Rossi 92 action seems much smoother to me.

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, I'm not a lawyer or a gunsmith, etc., etc.
:)

Johnnu2

Hunter
I was really interested in getting the new S&W stainless 44 with the plastic furniture for $1250. +/- (not the one with the wood furniture for$3400 +/-). Then I came across the Rossi R92 44 stainless 16" with nice wood stock, for $500 less, so at the Myrtle Beach Gun show today, I picked one up. Man unbelievably nice wood and IMO pretty high quality workmanship. Can't wait till I can get it to the armory to shoot it. However, nowhere in the manual does it say how to take it apart to clean it. Does anyone know where I can get the info on how to take it apart and clean it? Every time I buy a new or used gun I like to clean it before I shoot it, then after I shoot it clean it again.
StevesGunz.com

J.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I have a 20" octagon barrel 45 Colt. Color case finish. It cycles and shoots good. I installed a Marbles peep rear blade and love it. I have shot it enough to learn how to use the sight structure for longer range shots.
I have a 335gr gas check LBT hard cast over H110 load that shoots really good out to 200yds and dumps big energy on target but requires me using a slip over recoil pad on the curved steel butt plate as that load kicks like a 45/70 on my abused old man shoulder.
IMG_20200719_145016_8.jpg

larry8

Single-Sixer
Well, I have found several videos on "You Tube" on the disassembly, lube and reassembly of the Rossi R92. So I took it all apart and cleaned it, lubed it, then that d&%# gun fought me every way possible in getting it reassembled. It took me many hours getting it reassembled (the correct way each part is assembled). Finally done and yes it works as designed. I'm thinking about disassembling it again to smooth out all the machining tool marks, and possibly installing the reduced power spring kit. But it seems to work ok so I don't know if that $50 spring kit is worth it. Still waiting to go to the armory to shoot it.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Well, I have found several videos on "You Tube" on the disassembly, lube and reassembly of the Rossi R92. So I took it all apart and cleaned it, lubed it, then that d&%# gun fought me every way possible in getting it reassembled. It took me many hours getting it reassembled (the correct way each part is assembled). Finally done and yes it works as designed. I'm thinking about disassembling it again to smooth out all the machining tool marks, and possibly installing the reduced power spring kit. But it seems to work ok so I don't know if that $50 spring kit is worth it. Still waiting to go to the armory to shoot it.
Larry8, I would highly recommend this Palo Verde spring kit; I put it in my Rossi (did NOT use the lighter trigger spring) and was surprised at the smoothness it produced. I was going to "smooth out" the action, but after installing this kit, I didn't have to. Maybe I got lucky... As a side note, I'm not good at reading directions, but I used a DVD (I think) and had no problem (which is very unusual for me).

J

Last edited:

DGW1949

Hunter
Never mind that $50 spring kit. All you need to do is replace the factory hammer spring with one from a Ruger Blackhawk.

DGW

Hankus

Blackhawk
I recently purchased a stainless Rossi R92 in .454 Casull. Strangely enough the action cycled better with .45 Colt ammunition. The Buffalo Bore 360 grain rounds packed a kick though! and It comes with a recoil pad from the factory.

Last edited:

RSIno1

Hunter
Here's one you probably havent seen before.
357/44 Bain & Davis
Bain & Davis was the go to gun store for cops. Great discounts and stuff on the shelf. They even had a whole rack of new Ithica 37 parkerized LAPD spec guns for about $135 each. They sold out to Oscar's Gunworks around 2016 and now that too seems to have gone bellyup.

The .357/44 Bain & Davis is a centerfire pistol cartridge designed in 1964 by Keith Davis, a partner and pistolsmith of the Bain & Davis Gunshop of San Gabriel, California. The purpose was to give improved velocity over the .357 Magnum by using the larger .44 Magnum case necked down to hold a 0.357 diameter bullet.
Initially, Smith and Wesson Model 27 revolver cylinders were modified to accept the necked case. Two conditions were observed: The velocity produced at a moderate pressure was impressive, and the brass tended to set back if not scrupulously clean, tying up the action of the gun. As the cartridge was noticed by competitive silhouette shooters during the 1970s, Ruger Blackhawk revolvers were chambered for the round, and several barrels were made for the single shot Thompson/Center Contender Pistol. Rounds made for the Contender could utilize longer bullets seated further out than was possible with the revolvers.

Ethang

Blackhawk
before you replace anything or take it back down... pour yourself a nice bourbon... put an old Western on the TV.. make sure you have no ammo near you.. and cycle the living heck out of it.. a thousand or so cycles and you will have a super smooth lever gun.. just like the old ones..

before you replace anything or take it back down... pour yourself a nice bourbon... put an old Western on the TV.. make sure you have no ammo near you.. and cycle the living heck out of it.. a thousand or so cycles and you will have a super smooth lever gun.. just like the old ones..

That's exactly what I did (minus the bourbon ;^) - worked great!
:)