Revolver Recommendations for CCW

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mogtbiker

Bearcat
I own an SR9C, an LCP and other semi-automatic handguns. My married daughter asked me what my recommendations would be for a good revolver for CCW. I have no experience in that area; hence my request for recommendations and comments from those of you who know about revolvers. Thanks in advance for your advice, tips and recommendations.

hittman

Staff member
I have a Smith 37 Airweight and am looking for a LCR.

My son has a Taurus Airweight.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I got rid of all the lightweight revolvers and have settled in nicely with a 3" SP101 and a 1963 vintage S&W M36 for revolver carries. I'll never seek out another airweight or other lightweight revolver. The 637 (Airweight) beat mrs surv to death, but she loves the steel framed M36, and will even shoot a few rounds of full house .357's in the SP101... she wouldn't get past the first 5 shots of .38 spl target rounds in the 637 without complaining

GKC

Blackhawk
The best revolver for concealed carry that I have found is the LCR in .357 Mag, loaded with .38 Special. For one thing, it is 3 ounces heavier than the .38 special model, which doesn't make a real difference in felt weight for carry (or at least it didn't to me) but it does help with felt recoil (not that there is a lot with .38 Special.) The trigger on either LCR is very good, certainly better than any S&W 442/642, and you don't have to worry about the ILS in the side plate (although some 442s can be found without the lock.) The .357 LCR also has a stronger construction, so it's less susceptible to flame cutting.

Some may disagree, but I think .38 Special is still a viable round...especially in loads like Critical Defense. You could experiment with +P rounds to see what her comfort level is, or even full house .357 Mag rounds. That's the other plus of a .357 model...you have more ammo flexibility.

Joe S.

Hunter
Hard to beat the trigger on my LCR. If you havent looked at one, you owe it to yourself and your daughter to

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Sp101 is a good choice but might be heavier than she would like, and like others have said the LCR-357 is a great choice, it is so light that it is easy to forget it's there and with 38+P it is pleasant to shoot and still has plenty of stopping power, it also has a really good trigger so it is accurate to shoot. A small S&W like the model 36 Chiefs Special is a great little pistol too, but not so easy to find.

My wife has lots of arteritis and not lots of muscle. She couldn't pull the trigger on my Smith 642, so she took my LCR 38. The recoil was too much for her with the 38, even with lighter loads, so she ended up with my LCR 22. Not the best but at least she can shoot it, and enjoys practicing with it.

Cyclepath78

Bearcat
My vote is for the LCR .38; it is light enough to pocket carry comfortably in the right type of pockets and, it carries great on a belt. On a belt you hardly notice that its there. Recoil is snappy and I'm okay with that. This is a defensive carry revolver, not a range toy. I'm usually good for 50 rounds at the range then I'm ready to stick it back in the holster. For me and what this gun's role is, it is damn near perfect. My one and only gripe is that I wish that there were more aftermarket grip options. This grip is great for shooting but it is quite tacky in the sense that it sticks to my shirts whenever I move. I'm aware of the options out there but none so far fit the bill. I shot the S&W 642 and I really liked the way that gun felt in my hand but I shot the ruger more accurately due to its impressive cam trigger design. The trigger on the ruger is what sold me.

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
I love the SP101 with the spurless hammer (DAO) and now that Ruger has moved the "billboard" on the barrel to underneath (like they did on the new Vaquero)....might just have to get another!

My dream gun is to send one off to Gemini Customs for Marc's carry package!!

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Can I ask a question on the LCR compared to the sp101? I own the sp101 3 inch and think its a great gun. I often hear people talk about how great the trigger is on the lcr. I havent ever shot an lcr. What makes the lcr trigger better than the sp101? Did the use lighter springs or is it something else? I'm just really curious about the difference in the triggers.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Two carry revolver classics are the S&W Model 637 (or 642) and the Ruger SP101. I like the 2.25" over the 3" barrel Ruger for better packability; DAO or spur hammer doesn't matter to me. My current fave SP101 for carry is a first year 38 Special that I carry with full 38-44 S&W equivalent handloads based on Brian Pearce's article in Handloader. Don't use those in the S&W unless it is a 357 Mag chambered one though!!

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Everybody has a preference. Mine is the Smith & Wesson Model 60. It's the classic stainless steel J Frame 357.

Really any of the small revolvers Ruger LCR, J Frame Smith, SP101 will do just fine.

Even though I have a number of other firearms, the J Frame Model 60 is the one in my waistband 80% of the time.

Jeff

6gun

Hunter
SP101 357 mag. 2 1/4" barrel and a Forbus paddle holster, your all set up.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
I've IWB carried a SIG 229 & A Ruger 3" SP 101 for many years. Recently I have been carrying the 38 LCR IWB. Close to a pound difference in weight, what a pleasure it is to carry.

I vote LCR for me.

I just bought my daughter the LCR in 22lr. I know she will practice with it, and at 7 to 15 feet you could say she is deadly with it.

Cyclepath78

Bearcat
Kyhunt said:
Can I ask a question on the LCR compared to the sp101? I own the sp101 3 inch and think its a great gun. I often hear people talk about how great the trigger is on the lcr. I havent ever shot an lcr. What makes the lcr trigger better than the sp101? Did the use lighter springs or is it something else? I'm just really curious about the difference in the triggers.

I have never fired an SP101 so a comparison to the LCR would be difficult for me to make. What I can tell you as an LCR owner is that the trigger is DAO, smooth, non stacking, medium in weight and long(traits that in my opinion make this a good defensive carry option). This is acomplished by Ruger's cam trigger design that I believe is only offered in the LCR line of revolvers. Comparing this trigger to my WC GP100 they feel some what similar, the difference being the GP has a slightly heavier pull and possibly a slightly longer pull.

airwin

Bearcat
Hi mogtbiker, take even a look to a Taurus 85 on your short list. Since many years I have one in stainless and it is a very reliable little snubbie. But Taurus has a lot of lemons out there and you have to check the revolver very carefully before buying a Taurus. If the Taurus ist made well, then I can recommend it to you. I bought my Taurus in used condition and has fired more than 1000 rounds through it without any problem. With the little boot grip from Butler Creek it is very well suited for cc.

mogtbiker

Bearcat
I want to thank all of you for your valued inputs! I have looked into all of your suggestions and you have helped me learn so much. I told my daughter about this forum and my question and she has been/is reading your responses and comments. Please continue to provide suggestions and I will let you know what she decides...all of your responses are greatly appreciated!

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Like Airwin I liked the Taurus model 85 too. My son swiped the Taurus and i went to a Charter Arms bulldog in 44 special. Not that I recommend the 44 for your daughter, unless of course she likes it. But the nice thing is i also picked up a Charter Arms pathfinder in 22 with a 2 inch barrel. The grip is the same between the two guns but the 22 is smaller, but the 22 makes a great practice piece as they function the same. Charter Arms also makes a 327 and a 38 special that would have the same grip and feel of the 22. Course you could always go with the 357 lcr and the 22lr lcr and come up with the same combo. It nice to be able to practice with the lower cost 22lr ammo. Same could be said for the sp101.

RoverSig

Bearcat
Hard to beat the S&W Mdl 642 or 442. Not a lot of fun to shoot, but easy to carry, present, and use when needed.