Research Shows Handguns Best Defense In Bear Attacks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I do not know anything about a Griz or Brown Bear attack. Other than video's which IMO show something incredible. Tremendous speed, unbelievable amount of thick fur, fat tissue and a skull 50 times harder than a human. Able to chase down a Bull Moose and destroy it etc. Doing a surprise attack at close range give the human prey about 1 second to get off one shot and then lights out.
So what firearm is best? I have no idea. Using bear spray? Think I will just stay out of his territory.
700NE would be minimally adequate.

You might look at this, if you haven't read it or for those who may be considering the 10mm. BTW: I use Underwood ammo whenever available in my caliber, although I use the 220 gr. hardcast. In my Blackhawk, I use 325 gr loaded to about 1100-1200 fps.

Personally I would go with the heaviest Lehigh XP's available loaded +P.

Best defense is whatever you have within reach(within reason). Meaning a suitable handgun. If your whompin boomer long gun is not within reach at the moment of need, it's worthless.

Exactly. If something is trying to eat you, and you've got a hatchet, hammer or knife within reach, I guess that's worth a go as well!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

mirglip

Single-Sixer
Best defense is whatever you have within reach(within reason). Meaning a suitable handgun. If your whompin boomer long gun is not within reach at the moment of need, it's worthless.
Sitting here at the keyboard, it's easy to think in terms of how a heavy cannon would be nice protection against bears but living day to day life in the backcountry, a gun so heavy on your belt that it pulls your pants down every other step becomes a big nuisance and you don't feel like holstering up every time you walk to the barn or outhouse. The lighter the gun, the less determination it takes to be armed.

Sitting here at the keyboard, it's easy to think in terms of how a heavy cannon would be nice protection against bears but living day to day life in the backcountry, a gun so heavy on your belt that it pulls your pants down every other step becomes a big nuisance and you don't feel like holstering up every time you walk to the barn or outhouse. The lighter the gun, the less determination it takes to be armed.

That's very true - and I think that's one of the reasons Glocks got so popular with law enforcement, so quickly.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
That's very true - and I think that's one of the reasons Glocks got so popular with law enforcement, so quickly.

One time while I was out in the boonies hunting firewood, I was unarmed and surprised a large black bear,about 25 yards away when we saw each other. I froze, and he started running, gratefully, AWAY from me.He was so fast,it would have been doubtful that I could have drawn and fired in the amount of time it took for him to cover that 25 yards,even if I had a handgun. Whew!

Bear Spray. Herrero found spray to be98% effective; handguns 62% effective. That was in statistically examined data of 300+ attacks in the US and Canada. He is recognized as one of the (if not, THE) expert on bear attacks. Subsequent studies bear his findings out!
I can actually see that. IF you give the Bear a proper face full of the spray it's senses would probably be thoroughly overwhelmed. Blinding Agony and barely able to breath would probably be more effective immediately than most bullets. Of course the operative thing is delivery. If someone panics and empties the spray or gun not directly where they need to be will be bear food.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
One time while I was out in the boonies hunting firewood, I was unarmed and surprised a large black bear,about 25 yards away when we saw each other. I froze, and he started running, gratefully, AWAY from me.He was so fast,it would have been doubtful that I could have drawn and fired in the amount of time it took for him to cover that 25 yards,even if I had a handgun. Whew!
People who have never faced either a bluff charge or a frightened bear running away do not realize just how FAST a bear can be. Remember they go through what you have to go around! I saw a video of two guys in a truck pacing a grizzly on a dirt road. They (and the bear) were doing 35 when the bear decided it had enough and completely smoked them behind!

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I can actually see that. IF you give the Bear a proper face full of the spray it's senses would probably be thoroughly overwhelmed. Blinding Agony and barely able to breath would probably be more effective immediately than most bullets. Of course the operative thing is delivery. If someone panics and empties the spray or gun not directly where they need to be will be bear food.
That also is a factor (likely an even greater factor) with any firearm or any other method of defense, be it a pistol, rifle, ax, canon, etc. The benefit of spray (or a shotgun) is the spread. You really just gotta be close (since we can't carry grenades!)

mirglip

Single-Sixer
With a handgun it doesn't matter if the bear is upwind. That Herrero ex-spurt guy claims the bear spray is 98% effective. What percentage of the time is the bear coming from the windward side? Less than 2%? A downwind bear is not going to be startled at close range, but an upwind bear just might.

I do not know anything about bear spray. However any firearm I would say to be at least as good a shot as Jerry Miculek. If not stay home. And you are talking about a HIT to a Vital area period. Not even sure that would actually keep you from getting killed. I would say practice a few thousand rounds Per week with a Moving Target that comes straight at you. And at different angles lo represent inclines/slopes etc.
It would seem, that Bear Spray even with a strong wind would work at close range. Hey, it will be close range FAST,

Last edited:
I do not know anything about bear spray. However any firearm I would say to be at least as good a shot as Jerry Miculek. If not stay home. And you are talking about a HIT to a Vital area period. Not even sure that would actually keep you from getting killed. I would say practice a few thousand rounds Per week with a Moving Target that comes straight at you. And at different angles lo represent inclines/slopes etc.
It would seem, that Bear Spray even with a strong wind would work at close range. Hey, it will be close range FAST,
Don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes!!!

My view of bear defense may have been influenced by an incident that occurred many years ago, about the time I hired on with the US Geological Survey. One of their geologists was working in a remote area; there is contradictory information as to whether or not she was allowed to carry a firearm, or simply refused to do so.

In any case, she had just been dropped off by a helicopter, when she was attacked by a black bear. As it chewed on one of her arms, she managed to reach a radio (she didn't have a gun) and call the helicopter, asking it to return. Before the helicopter crew could reach her, the bear switched to her other arm. Fortunately, she survived:

Might she have done better with a firearm? Quite possibly - which IMHO fits in rather well with KY Jim's rules of carry:

1) Any gun is better than no gun.
2) A reliable gun is better than an unreliable one.
3) A hole where you want it is better than a hole someplace else.
4) A bigger hole is a better hole.

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.

Last edited:

mirglip

Single-Sixer
Standard procedure for charging bears is aim for the nose. Low shots might hit front legs and slow it down, behind the nose is the heart, broken jaw means less mauling, forehead shot won't penetrate but might daze...etc.. Keep shooting as long as you are able.

I guess you could go to Bear Wrestling School and put it in a head lock.

Or wear a Maxine Waters mask and scare the Frigging hell out of it.

gWFqviQ.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts