A young man's bear; Update, Picture

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Some of y'all may recall about a year ago,, I was helping a young man just starting out in reloading. He'd scored a Ruger .357 Maxi,, and knew very little about them. Well, I helped him find some reloading equipment, and started him on his path of reloading. He mentioned he'd like to take a deer or a bear with his Maxi. And especially the Bradshaw/Martin cast bullet.

I spoke with him last week and he was out hunting in earnest for bear.

Yesterday,, he scored a bear. However,, he used his 30-30 rifle,, one shot at about 40 yds. He said his bear run about 30 or so yards before crashing down & giving it's death roar a few times.
They were able to get the bear out of the woods before it got dark, and put it on the scales before gutting it. 321 lbs of male black. A good solid bear for a guy hunting alone, not with dogs or anything here.

He came to see me today,, to show me pictures & all. Including the one of it on the scales.

I kinda teased him about NOT using the Maxi,, but he said he was shaking too much to use it,, and even was shaky with his rifle.
But it was a great day to hear from him on this.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Nick is as happy as a bug in a rug over this bear. he offered me some meat,, but knowing his family can use it more than I,, I politely declined. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it,, because I do enjoy good bear meat.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I've never killed bear myself but also assisted a budding young hunter in bagging one many years ago when I lived in New Mexico. Loaded his ammo for him, and we'd gone hunting together several times. We were attempting to call them up with a predator call. One afternoon he came by the house wanting to go hunting but I had obligations and couldn't go that day. A couple hours after dark he's back at my house with a bear. Had a couple of roasts off that bear, which I thought were quite good.

Latest posts