Progessive Presses

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chaneyd

Bearcat
Vecco":357cwxla said:
Yosemite Sam":357cwxla said:
Certainly not going to run out and get a new "tool head" at $250/pop for every caliber I want to load. No offense to the Boys in Blue, of course.

-- Sam

$24.95 for a tool head is not $250.00 just FYI

XL 650 Toolhead
Stock Number: 13863

TOTAL COST: $24.95
Price Breaks:
3 or more: $22.95 each

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... 0_Toolhead

It's a little cheaper than that. Conversion/dies/quick change head will run $200.00. Carbide dies with a no BS warranty. Best dies money can buy. A Volkswagen will suit most but a Cadillac will get you down the highway in style. Do you just want to get by or go with style?

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Look around for used Dillons. I picked up a Square Deal (that's right, before the 'B') from RonEgg on here a while ago, I think I paid him $150 or $200. I don't remember. It doesn't matter if you're the first owner or the 4 millionth, or how old your press is, or how many things are worn out/bent/broke, just call up Dillon and they'll fix it up. If they can't fix it, they'll replace it.

For what it's worth, this press sat unused in a box for probably 10 years or more before I bought it. I got it cleaned up with some Hoppe's and some elbow grease, ran it a little bit with no components to make sure it all functioned ok, and decided to make up a dummy round just to check the adjustments. Everything was perfect. All I had to do was fill the primer tubes, pour in some powder and adjust the charge, and I was in business. The little bracket that holds the used primer cup on the Square Deal was broken, I called them up expecting to hear that it was unavailable. I told the guy that I had a Square Deal, and the primer cup bracket was broken, he knew exactly what part I was talking about, and in 2 days I had a replacement in the mailbox.

If you can find a used Dillon, there's absolutely no reason to pass it up. It won't last long for sale, somebody that knows better is going to snatch it.

As far as all the expensive extras go, I thought I was gonna need to get them all in the beginning, but I've never bought any of em. I load 45acp on the Square Deal, and use the single stage for rifle and 45lc. I may ask for a caliber conversion kit for 45lc for christmas, but I shoot so much less of that than the 45acp that it doesn't matter one way or the other. You'll crank out a ton of rounds on a base model Square Deal compared to the single stage, once you get the hang of it, you'll love it. The 550 and 650 may be just a touch faster, but the Square Deal is still more than enough for the casual shooter.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I'm sitting here laughing, because I've been called in more than once to help out with L-N-L difficulties......

I am NOT bashing Hornady, as I use many of their tools, AND recommend them.

But when it comes to progressive presses the XL650 far out-peforms the L-N-L. Less swearing, too.....

revhigh

Hawkeye
WESHOOT2":32z2a6s0 said:
I'm sitting here laughing, because I've been called in more than once to help out with L-N-L difficulties......

Not exactly sure why that would cause laughing ... but OK ...

I've never sworn once at my Pro-jector or any LNL that friends own. The 650 SHOULD outperform the LNL ... it's almost DOUBLE the price, and far more than double once you buy all the 'niceties' that Dillon doesn't provide in their $550 'starting' price.

Everybody KNOWS that the XL650 is a great press, but it is by no means as vastly superior to other quality presses (no matter the color) as the blue fanatics try to make it out to be.

What exactly makes the 650 'far out-perform' the Hornady progressives ?? Please list specifics rather than hyperbole. I've used both and I don't see the 'far out-performing' part at all ...

Here's a very accurate summation in my opinion .... I've found these comments to be pretty much 'right on' ...

If you're comparing ... read the below link.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLee ... arison.pdf

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
WESHOOT2":1yam3br8 said:
It does, because you get what you pay for.......

It, for me, has zero to with brand; it's only about performance.

The above is kinda short on specifics, WESHOOT !!

Please check out the link in my previous post and see what you think. I think it's a pretty accurate summation, for all the presses involved.

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Pardon my ignorance of things Dillon. I thought the Super 1050 Quick-Change Toolhead Conversion
was the "tool head" being discussed, and it is indeed $256. I wondered why they expected me to buy a new powder measure with each new caliber... (That's a joke, son; They don't. Let's all cool our jets about brands wars for once, shall we?)

I'm unlikely to find a used Dillon in my area. I've had a WTB ad on Handloads.com for a few days now and haven't even had a nibble. Don't get to garage sales, and Craigslist is not giving up anything. I'm not one to sit around for 6mos to a year "hoping" that I stumble into a deal.

From my perspective, yes, a Cadillac is nice, but I don't drive that much, and not every item in my life has to be "the Cadillac" of whatever we're talking about. I shoot 1911s but don't have to own a Wilson or Ed Brown, don't own a Tony Bose pocket knife, or use MonteBlanc pens. All that would be nice, but I'm not terribly rich, and have to watch where I do spend my money - I can't have the nicest everything.

I will do some more price checking on some of this before I buy, so thanks for the additional info.

-- Sam

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Ok Dillon Dudes, what do I need to get started with a RL-650 other than the press with caliber conversion kit? I already have dies.

I'll probably pick up a powder check/lockout die regardless of the press I buy. Do I need any other pieces to start loading if I buy the press with the conversion kit?

To add a new caliber it looks like I need a new shellplate ($36) and dies, maybe the new $25 tool head if I don't want to reset dies each time. Am I missing anything? I'm not talking about "nice to have" features like a case feeder, I'm talking about what you need to start producing ammo on the thing.

The Dillon prices aren't as bad as I'd feared. If that truly is everything you need, except dies, then the price isn't that much worse than the Hornady. The Hornady does have the "1000 free bullets" offer, and that's attractive, as I probably would sell them, as I shoot lead primarily.

Local GS has an LNL in stock, though. Works out to about the same as one from Midway, with shipping.

-- Sam

Vecco

Single-Sixer
WyoGunner":zcwbd90l said:
Yosemite Sam":zcwbd90l said:
The Hornady does have the "1000 free bullets" offer, and that's attractive, as I probably would sell them, as I shoot lead primarily.
-- Sam

Bad news Sam, I just checked Hornady's website and now they are only giving away 500 bullets with the purchase of a LNL press.

http://www.hornady.com/promotions/get-loaded

If I remember you still have to pay shipping at there price. I remember it was not a very good deal in the past.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I went through this analysis some months ago. I read the reviews on Midway's site and other forums too. I bought the Hornady from Mid-South Shooters Supply and so far with just a few hundred loaded am quite pleased. Cost really was not a factor, just quality of the machine, the "no questions" warranty and the number of Dillon to Hornady converts I found. Interestingly, I did not find one Hornady to Dillion convert. That wrapped it for me.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Well, FWIW, I ended up going with the Hornady. My local GS had one in stock, and their price isn't too far off Midway's + shipping.

The link that Revhigh posted to the Lee/Hornady/Dillon comparison was pretty interesting.

I have about 9 calibers to load for, and it seems easier (and cheaper) to do caliber swaps on the LNL. I guess I'll find out. I've already got three shell plates and a bunch of bushings on the way.

-- Sam

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I think you will be very pleased. No doubt the blue machines are awesome, but the red ones rock too. The LNL bushing setup is the cat's a$$ for ease of switching calibers.

I also have the Hornady single stage that I use for my final factory crimping. Which reminds me of the only slightly negative thing that I have found with the LNL AP - the Lee factory crimp dies that I use in the last station interfere with the auto eject mechanism on the AP. Not a big deal as I could lift the ejector spring thingy and eject manually, but I choose to just do the factory crimping on a single stage as my final step.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Interesting. I'm finding various issues with each press that make it easier (or not) to use a certain type of die. I have both Lee (handgun) and RCBS (rifle) dies, and it sounds like both the Lee FCD and expander/powder die are less than optimal for the LNL-AP. We'll see. It's a big investment any way you go.

I'm not sure whether I'll keep my Rockchucker and convert it to use LNL bushings, or keep my Lee Classic Turret for load development, one-offs, and other things I may not want to set up the LNL-AP for. Then again, I hope to do all my loading on the LNL-AP; It doesn't appear that much harder to change calibers on than the Turret. Again, we'll see.

-- Sam

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Hmm, I haven't had any problems with the Lee expander/powder dies.

On the FCD, it really isn't necessary to do the operation on another press. The ejector wire can be pivoted up allowing the up-stroke to have enough travel, but my preference is to not to have to flick the finished round into the bin. I found it harder to get into a good rhythm...

Other factory crimp dies may work just fine with the ejector wire in place - I haven't tried any others.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'll have to see this in operation; I'm not getting a good mental picture of how the die can interfere with the ejector.

My "understanding" of the Lee expander/powder problem is that it doesn't work with the LNL powder measure, somehow. Again, not sure how all this stuff plays together. The LNL pm doesn't drop through the die, using the die takes up an extra station, something along those lines. I'll find out when I start setting it up. If it turns out I need another $18 powder die, big deal. I already need a $50 lockout die, and another $100 or so worth of shell plates and bushings to be fully outfitted for all my calibers.

-- Sam

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
You don't need a powder die at all. The LNL powder measure is case actuated and is the "die". You only use half of the expander/powder die - it only flares the case to get the bullet started.

I'll see if I can find a pic showing what I'm talking about with the FCD.