dillon presses

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Most measures of that type are fairly good with ball powders. I use a customized LEE 4 hole turret w/maunaully operated measure to load 223 using ball powder and check weigh every 15-20 rounds. Finished loads are placed in a loading tray so if a problem does arise, I know exactly how far back to go to the last check weigh.
Consistency in operation is the key when working with automatic type measures since an increase/decrease in vibration will affect the powder measure fill.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I have two Dillon presses, and haven't had a single problem with their powder measures. One is set up right now for .223, using H322 powder and has loaded hundreds of rounds so far with no problem.

loaded round

Hunter
I run a Dillon 550 and a Dillon 650 and over the years havw put together 6 tool heads complete with Dillon powder measure. I load both rifle and pistol on both (rifle on the 550) and have yet to have any measure not weigh within +/- 1/2 gr with the large (riflle) bar. That's good enough for me.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
It depends on how finicky your rifles are. I have a .222Rem that will amaze you, IF the load is precise. If not, the groups open up by over and inch and one-half. Flip side of that coin is my .270. Any where within a half grain and it does very well, you don't see any degradation until it is about a full grain off.

Depends on your guns/loads. :D

mattsbox99

Hunter
The Dillon slide measure is excellent with ball, flake, and small extruded grain powders. Where it lacks is with the big extruded granules in many popular slow burning rifle powders.

You can convert any Dillon press to use a drum measure like the RCBS Uniflow or Hornady measure easily.

Another thing I don't care for on the Dillon measure is that there is no way to tell how much you've changed the drop. I do like my Dillon presses a lot, and their overall function beats out the minor problems associated with their measure.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Go ahead and use the Dillon. As mentioned above, heavy extruded powders are not it's forte, but it doesn't look like that's what you're doing anyway. My particular measure doesn't meter Varget well, but it's not a problem since I never use it anyway. I tend to load the big stuff on my single stage Redding, and use an elderly Hornady drum type measure for this.

Maybe I'm just too picky but I wouldn't tolerate 1/2 grain of variation.
I use an el cheapo LEE manual measure that holds within 1/10 grain with Xterminator. The reason I use a manual is this: the metering chamber is empty until I operate the lever. If the chamber is in the fill position during the clickety clack and vibration of the turret rotating, the fill will be less precise. I don't load max loads using the automatic measures on anything.

sc1911cwp

Single-Sixer
There is an aftermarket micrometer gauge for the powder measure available as seen in "Handloader" magazine. This may help with repeatability and adjusting powder drop.

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
I use a Dillon 550B for my reloading (actually two of them, small and large primer setup). They do have some quirks, but they are easy to deal with. Dillon's warranty is awesome, as is their tech support. If you want precision, a single stage is the way to go, but it will be slower. As others have said extruded powders are not Dillon's forte, but they can be used if you do your part and don't mind the spread. I weight about every 3-5 rounds and discard the extremes back into the hopper. This works well for 'plinking'. For accuracy I use the single stage and weight each charge.