Help with progressive type presses?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Capn27

Single-Sixer
I've been using a 550B Dillon for the last twenty years or so. (When I can't remember how long I've had something, I always say "20 years". Keeps my brain from hurting.)

With a purchase of a Hawkeye last week, I'm ready to try reforming .357 cases into .256 Win Mag cases. I bought some Redding dies (real nice, BTW) and set up the Dillon for .256 WM. My first try at reforming the cases resulted in screwing up 3 out of ten cases.

I called Dillon an hour ago and the tech told me to measure the play in the handle. I did it like he said and came close to their wear limit. He said that's likely it and they are sending me a rebuild kit along with alignment tools, FREE OF CHARGE! After 20 years of use!

Would I buy another brand? Not a chance.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Capn27 said:
Would I buy another brand? Not a chance.

I'm with you on that one, but surprised even that someone at Dillon didn't mention that reforming brass takes a lot of pressure and probably a job left to a single stage press. I you intend on doing a lot of this kind of thing you can probably pick up a used single stage press for next to nothing.
Sal

Capn27

Single-Sixer
Sal ..... I thought about getting a used single press but after forming a few. 256 cases, it looks like I'll be able to crank out what I need on the 550. 200 shoud do the job for a single shot pistol.

Sure wish i had my old Herter's press back, though!

CookE

Bearcat
I know this will most likely make some individuals angry, but it's like JACK NICHOLSON said, "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH". There is only one progressive loader out there that is worth buying and that of course is a DILLON. I bought my front DILLON back in 1973 when they were made out of solid STAINLESS STEEL. I paid $2300 for it, in 1973. Some of you remember how much money that was in 1973. Then through the years I've bought 4 DILLON 1050's and 1 DILLON 450 and converted it about 3 or 4 times to bring it up to date, AT NO COST TO ME. When I had my 1050's they still had the LIFETIME WARRANTY ON THEM, WHICH THEY DON'T HAVE NOW. Back in 1999 I sold all my reloading equipment. In 2010, I bought 2 DILLON 1050's again. SINCE MY FIRST RELOADING PIECE OF EQUIPMENT I HAVE LOADED RIGHT AT 3 MILLON ROUNDS WITH THE "DILLONS". THEY JUST CAN'T BE BEAT. THEY HAVE THE FRIENDLIEST AND MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE STAFF AROUND. They even have an easy phone number to remember*****1-800-223-4570. I know there are some people out there that won't agree with me, but that's LIFE..................CookE..

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
CookE said:
SINCE MY FIRST RELOADING PIECE OF EQUIPMENT I HAVE LOADED RIGHT AT 3 MILLON ROUNDS WITH THE "DILLONS". THEY JUST CAN'T BE BEAT.

Hi,

That's a pretty respectable "test" of the brand, isn't it?

Just curious, CookE, were you loading commercially (maybe like a friend's Dad, who used to load for local PDs, as has our own Weshoot2), or just shooting a lot, perhaps competition or like another friend who, w/ his brother in law, loaded for about six folks who shot together all the time?

If the latter, how many and what kinds of guns did y'all wear out in that many rounds?

Rick C