Help with progressive type presses?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

7p's

Single-Sixer
I've never owned a Dillion but I would think their powder measure is a good one.

The Hornady L-n-L has an exceptional powder measure IMHO, as in 10 drops I'll only be 0.2 to 0.4 off the mark and that's with BE, H110, N310, N320, N340, N350 and WW231. I use the RCBS 5-0-5 and 10/10 scale with test weights.

I haven't had a chance yet to throw N110, N120, WW296 or some of the rifle powders but I'm confident the Hornady will throw as good if not better than the Dillion with those powders.

The L-n-L is a top notch machine for the money. I think the 650 with feeders is probably a little faster and a little more money but it's top notch and their 1050 is faster than the ole Starr Progressive I had back in the late 60's and 70's when 2 of us could turn 950 an hour plus drink a beer in the process. I'd love to have a "need" for Dillion's 1050.

Dobetown

Bearcat
I have had a Dillion for going on 30 years. A 450, Square deal, and the current 550. I can run 300+ rounds of handgun in an hour. At my age I won't change but for some types of reloading the 5 station Hornaday would be interesting.
I have loaded 223 to 7REM mag and 38 to 45 colt, over 20,000 rds.
Just my experience.
My 550 is the last press I would let go of.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
I too am looking for a new press, been eyeing the Hornady L-N-L AP Reloading Package myself....under $450....seems good from what I have read.

JEFraze

Single-Sixer
I like the looks of the Hornady but the main problem I have with it is the Locking bushings that you have to use to mount your dies. I really like the ideal of a die plate or what ever you want to call it. It makes changeing claibers because your dies are set and you only change the plate instead of several dies. I am not sure which would be the most cost effective.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
I take it the Dillon has a great warranty and customer service....
Are they made in USA?
Will have to kick around the 650 or the LNL AP.....both seem kind of close in price.

Does it matter that I want to load not only pistol (9mm, 357) but rifle (30-30, 300wsm) with the same press?

Warthog

Bearcat
targetshootr said:
I use a 650. About a year ago the primer tube blew up but Dillon sent all new parts for free. Also have a rockchucker that I may get around to using as a bullet puller one of these days.

Targetshooter
Tell us what happened and how did it happen? I have a Dillon 650 and I've always wondered what a Mount Saint Dillons is like.
For those unfamilar with the 650, the is a vertical tube which holds 100 primers. A wheel with holes in it indexes each time the lever is pulled. The primers in the tube fit into these holes. About seven pulls of the lever moves a primer from the tube into position to be pressed into the case. If one primer explodes, it can cause a chain reaction of the other six primers until it reaches the tube. The tube is is armored so it doesn't burst, however the primers blow out the top. This is rare and probably from trying to pry out a stuck primer.
Warthog

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I used to make handgun ammo commercially.

I bought my Dillon XL650 because at the time CorBon had a room full of them.......

I suggest the XL650 for volume, or incredibly timely, ammo production.

Reload

Bearcat
I have a Dillon 550 and 2- 1050's. No complaints. I have many other presses as well, no Hornady's. I have heard a lot of nice things about the LNL, either way, you will be happy.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Been running a Dillon RL450B, the predecessor to the 550B, since 1984 without a single issue. Just recently I needed to replace a small part on my powder measure, they sent it to me free..
Dillon is a lot like Ruger, a great American company with dynamite products and awesome customer service.
Pick either the 550 or 650, whichever fits your needs and pocketbook the best. You'll never regret the purchase.
Sal

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
WESHOOT2 said:
(Back in the day it was common practice for me to make 5--8K per day on my 650.)
I am curious. Do you recall how long a run of 5,000 bullets took (this would give a realistic idea of what a reloader could expect for continuous output, incuding replenishing powder, primers brass and bullets)?

If you also could recall what your cyclic rate was, that would be extremely helpful.

With those two figures as a benchmark, a prospective 650 owner could actually begin to make sense of the press' capabilities.

Thanks.

Lost Sheep

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Using plated bullets, CCI500s, and once-fired clean cases (and about thirty primer tubes), a realistic hourly output was about 800-900 rds-per-hour. (When making cop-45 I could regularly do 1K per).
It took longer to inspect, box, and label. Fact.

I limited myself to a maximum output of 8K per day, so I could start the inspection/boxing/labeling.

Did I mention I've had one wrist and two elbow surgeries on my pumpin' arm?

ps bullets are made from lead. lead is heavy.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
WESHOOT2 said:
Using plated bullets, CCI500s, and once-fired clean cases (and about thirty primer tubes), a realistic hourly output was about 800-900 rds-per-hour. (When making cop-45 I could regularly do 1K per).

I limited myself to a maximum output of 8K per day, so I could start the inspection/boxing/labeling.

Thanks, Weshoot2

You point up the difficulty of comparing different people's experiences. The output figures I commonly quote include inspection and boxing, but not labelling. Also, your mention of the primer tubes begs the question, "Did you include filling the tubes in the elapsed time?". In my reloading practice, I include opening the primer box, flipping, and filling, but not throwing away the cardboard and plastic trays. I also don't (but probably should) include the intial setup and calibration of my powder measure. That process is too variable and would make nonsense of any attempt to compare my continuous rate to anyone else's, or even comparing me with me in different days.

All in all, the variety of loading styles and what each of us chooses to count in making the calculation of loading rate makes comparing Tom's, Dick's and Harry's throughput with yours or mine (or the potential capacity of a Dillon 650 to the 550 to the Hornady LnL to the Lee Loadmaster or Classic Turret) fraught with problems.

Thanks for responding. I will toss your information into my hopper, as imperfect as I am, it is useful. 800 to 1,000 rounds per hour. Impressive, whether or not you had the "running start" of pre-filled primer tubes.

But, I gotta ask. Did the loading cause the surgeries or were they just incidental? (teasing)

Sal1950

Blackhawk
WESHOOT2 said:

WESHOOT2,
You have to be the Jerry Miculek of reloaders :shock:

All I've got is a almost 30 year old Dillon RL450 and the best I've seen including filling the primer tubes, boxing and labeling: is about 200 rounds an hour. Works for me. :wink:
Sal

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
WESHOOT2,
You have to be the Jerry Miculek of reloaders Shocked

All I've got is a almost 30 year old Dillon RL450 and the best I've seen including filling the primer tubes, boxing and labeling: is about 200 rounds an hour. Works for me. Wink
Sal
900 rounds an hour is 4 seconds per round (and one round per handle stroke, of course). Even if you take 10 minutes out of every hour for replenishing components, three and a third seconds per round.

Does that sound unreasonable? (or can you find fault with my math - which sometimes has been found wanting, I admit.)

WESHOOT2

Hunter
When the stars align, the Dillon XL650 is capable of producing in excess of 1,000 high-quality rds-per-hr in certain chamberings.

Mostly there is no point. For most of us, myself (mostly) included, the real question becomes "How long will it take me to make ammo for tomorrow's match?", ay?

I can sit down at my 650, load two or three primer tubes, top off the powder measure (I still have nine toolheads with dies, powder measures and powder-check stations), gather my components, and churn out those two or three hundred handgun rds in under an hour.
Including gauge/box time.

And then I can stand up, swap the priming system, install a cartridge conversion including case-feeder plate, and be ready to start a different cartridge in under fifteen minutes.

In my travels I've been called on to help others solve production woes, from single-stagers through LEE junk to the L-N-L and the 550/650/1050.

I stand by my advice: If you want a progressive press buy a Dillon XL650 with roller handle and powder-check station.
If you want a progressive but the 650 doesn't take your desired cartridge get a 550.
If you want the press to work with crimped-primer cases get a 1050.
If you want some "free" bullets get a L-N-L.

And please, remember that MY single-stage powder measure is my beloved Hornady/Pacific, my case trimmer is from Hornady, and I have numerous Hornady dies.
It's not about 'brand', it's about what works best.....yeah.....