Lee Breech Lock presses: thoughts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Just window shopping...

I see Lee's added the Breech Lock feature from their latest Challenger press to the Classic Cast single stage.

Has anyone used one of these "new" presses yet? And, if you're familiar w/ Hornady's Lock 'n' Load system, too, any comparisons between the two?

Rick C

opos

Buckeye
I got one of the Anniversary kits and the Breeck Lock system for the dies is something I really like...yes I'm a newbie reloader (actually back after a 40 year layoff) and I wanted something to reload several handgun calibers...The way the bushings just screw on to the dies and then they easilly twist and lock into the press. I'm sure that it's all pretty unexciting to a loader with a multi station press but not knowing the difference and wanting something pretty simple..it's great. I've loaded 38 special, 45 ACP and am getting ready to load some 9mm. From my standpoint (of a new reloader) the simple nature of the breechlock system was really a pleasure...I bought several "sets" of 2 bushings on line for $8 so I'd have plenty of them for the die sets (I use 4 die Lee sets)...It really makes it easy not having to adjust dies or worry about them going out of adjustment. When I bought the kit I didn't even know it used the Breechlock system and wouldn't have known what it was anyway..it just all showed up and away I went. That's my 2 cents worth.

GP100man

Buckeye
Rick C

Ifin I was lookin for a new press & I really don`t fancy progressive I`d buy the lee 4hole classic cast turret , mount the dies use it as a single stage & when changin calibers your done in seconds !!!with another turret head of course !

The challenger press is alot heavier than the first 1 & the breech lock just speeds up changin dies .

The lee sys is fine locks where the Hornady sys uses big lugs .

Hope this helps even if a little

Bucks Owin

Hunter
GP100man said:
Rick C

Ifin I was lookin for a new press & I really don`t fancy progressive I`d buy the lee 4hole classic cast turret , mount the dies use it as a single stage & when changin calibers your done in seconds !!!with another turret head of course !

My plan exactly too... :wink:

Do I understand this correctly . . . with the various "breech lock" type arrangements you have to buy a set of the "locking adapters" for each set of dies you want to use?

opos

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Do I understand this correctly . . . with the various "breech lock" type arrangements you have to buy a set of the "locking adapters" for each set of dies you want to use?

You get 3 as I remember with the "anniversary kit"...for each 3 die set you need 3 more and for a 4 die set you need 4 more if you are going to set them up on the dies and leave them for a "quick change"...the bushings or adapters cost about $8 a pair on E bay so for each set of 4 dies you need to spend $16....I suppose some folks would just use them as "bushings" to the press and set the dies and figure some way to lock the dies other than the locking nuts...which, if not locked (like with a lock nut), could easilly move when you remove the dies....just easier for me to get a set for each set of dies and let it go at that...I load 3 calibers so I had to get 4 more sets (8 bushings) or a total of $32 and I was done with it.

That's what I thought. Pretty obvious that it would make very little sense to only buy one set, and then change out your dies each time.

This means getting the advantage of the "quick change" feature requires buying the extra bits and pieces for each die set. Not a huge expenditure, of course, but a consideration nevertheless.

opos

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
That's what I thought. Pretty obvious that it would make very little sense to only buy one set, and then change out your dies each time.

This means getting the advantage of the "quick change" feature requires buying the extra bits and pieces for each die set. Not a huge expenditure, of course, but a consideration nevertheless.

The press thread is not a standard thread that fit the dies...it only fits the bushing so unless you have one bushing that stays in the press and then buy other lock nuts to act as "jam nuts" on the dies...it takes one bushing per die. They do work well and are very positive so far.

All the standard dies I have seen come with a locking nut or ring to secure the adjustments.

When you buy LEE dies with one of these LEE Breech-Lock presses, do they not include a locking feature?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
All the standard dies I have seen come with a locking nut or ring to secure the adjustments.

When you buy LEE dies with one of these LEE Breech-Lock presses, do they not include a locking feature?
I'm pretty sure the dies still come with the locking ring with the rubber 'O' ring. How else would you be able to lock the die to the breech plug? I really don't see the point of the 'breech lock' as it only takes about five seconds to screw the dies into to old press and lock it down. I use a little witness mark, put on with a 'Sharpie', to make sure I always get it the die and the lock ring in the same place. I guess if you are readjusting each time you change a die it might be a convenience but heck a little mark with a pen does the same thing. :D :D

...Jimbo

Agreed with all that.

Just wanting to get all the facts out.

I use a 'chucker, and don't find the few seconds it takes to swap and adjust the dies to be any shortcoming.

To each his own.

:)

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Unscrewing and reseating the dies isn't terribly accurate. Oh, now's the time for someone to pipe up about how simply horrid Lee's rings are, utter junk, useless, etc, and by extrapolation all Lee gear, because the dies don't have a set screw. Get over it. You can buy RCBS rings for $3.50 a set. I still don't like having to change and check the adjustment of dies every time I want to do a caliber change on the press.

The LNL system is great, and I suspect the Lee system is pretty good, too. I used the multiple turret head trick on my Classic Turret before I got my LNL.

Yes, the LNL bushings drive the cost of a caliber conversion up, but it's still cheaper than doing one on their major competition (think "blue"). That was one of the major factors in my choosing the Hornady product, since I load for a half dozen calibers.

-- Sam

"Unscrewing and reseating the dies isn't terribly accurate."

I don't understand that comment. It's not at all difficult, nor really very "precise", to adjust the dies. Just takes seconds after you've done it a couple of times. Of course, I'm talking a single-stage setup.

I agree that any of the LNL-type arrangements can be a little quicker to work with, but it wouldn't make more than five or ten minutes worth of difference.

Whatever works for you.

opos

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
Ale-8(1) said:

I'm pretty sure the dies still come with the locking ring with the rubber 'O' ring. How else would you be able to lock the die to the breech plug? I really don't see the point of the 'breech lock' as it only takes about five seconds to screw the dies into to old press and lock it down. I use a little witness mark, put on with a 'Sharpie', to make sure I always get it the die and the lock ring in the same place. I guess if you are readjusting each time you change a die it might be a convenience but heck a little mark with a pen does the same thing. :D :D

...Jimbo

Hi, Jimbo....the Lee dies are a standard thread for dies but the press does not have a corresponding thread...it has the "lock thread" which won't accept a die without the bushing...If you want to change the die each time you would still have to have a bushing that stays in the press all the time...I found that the locking ring on the die has no way to lock it to the setting desired..no set screw, etc...I originally thought I'd just buy some nuts to act as jam nuts on the dies and their locking rings but found that they cost as much or more than the Lee adapters on E Bay...I don't know enough about other presses or dies so this seemed the simplest way for me to operate and so far it seems to work fine...

Other die manufacturers usually provide a set screw to "lock" their lock rings in place, but LEE doesn't, relying on a built-in O-ring to lock the ring. Some folks don't like this arrangement. I have both types and haven't had problems with either variety.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I really like the idea of the quick change. If you only load for a couple of calibers, not a big expenditure. If you focus on a few, put them in the sleeves, but have many sets for other non pet cartridges, just set them up "long hand" and no biggie.

The idea of using the classic cast as a single stage is a very good one for the budget minded, non bench rest shooting perfectionist. The last comment was a disclaimer to keep the trolls and haters at bay.

Personally, I have a .22 Hornet load, done on the older Lee three hole turret press (it ain't broke, it's paid for, the upgrade cash has never been alloted) that is more accurate than me on a good day, at 100 yards. Your results may vary, no fine print to follow.