Pictures Added Three Screw 357 to 44 Special Advise Please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Last March I was able to acquire a Gallagher 3 screw 357 to 44 special plowhandle. The 44 special looked unfired after the conversion as it looked new with no turn line or powder in the barrel. I feel like John Gallagher probably fired the 44 after the conversion for test purposes but I don't know for sure. All of the single action Rugers in my safe are Bisley gripframes except for my son's stainless 4&5/8 45 Colt Blackhawk and my daughters 22LR/22MAG plowhandles. I did a post for the gripframe change to Bisley and got a lot of good advice. I contacted Mr. Clements and purchased the Bisley hammer and trigger he makes for the 3 screw models. I scored a new Bisley gripframe from Chuck100 and sent it all back to Mr Gallagher. Mr Gallagher fitted the Bisley hammer, trigger, and gripframe to the 44 special. He then set the timing and refinished the revolver so everything would match. The finish is a deep black. A set of walnut grips made by Chuck100 fit it perfectly but I also scored Ruger simulated ivory grips. The ivory grips fit like they were built on the 44 special and the color contrast between grips and revolver floats my boat. I have fondled and caressed it and looked at it for ten days now and I just can't pull the trigger yet.
The 44 special has not had the factory safety conversion. My brother dropped an unconverted old model in his home 20 years ago and shot a hole in the ceiling. I am not familiar nor have I ever shot an unconverted 3 screw.
1) If the hammer is pulled back 1 click is it safe to carry a live round under the hammer? I have been told that is safe but I figured I could get the best advice from the good folks on this forum.

2) If I understand correctly the cylinder is bored out from 357 magnum to 44 special. Does this weaken the cylinder so you have to shoot lighter loads?

3) Is the old 3 screw 357 a smaller frame in that you can't shoot Ruger only or heavier loads?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
GA Cracker

PICTURES ADDED

Hondo44

Hawkeye
GA,

Sounds like a beautiful gun. I have also converted a 3 screw 357 to 44 spl and it's one of my favorites.

Three good questions and I believe my answers will be shared by most if not all.

1. NO! Never rely on the safety cock notch. It was never a safe design since its inception on the 1873 Colt SAA. The only infallible safety procedure is to never carry it with a loaded round under the hammer. You can load all six if you intend to shoot them all immediately like at the range. Any other time, only load 5.

2. No. Any standard off the shelf factory loads are safe. But no 'super hot' 44 Spl loads.

3. Yes the old model 357s were built on the Ruger mid-size frame, just slightly larger than the Colt SAA (cyl is .020" larger in diameter than the Colt). It is the same size as the only 44 Spl SAs Ruger has ever made, the New Vaq and the new model Flat Top Blackhawk.

Therefore there really aren't any "Ruger Only" 44 Spl loads because Ruger never made the 44 Spl on the large 44 Mag or 'Ruger-only-load' frames. However, any New Model Blackhawk 357 or 41 Mag, both of which are built on the large frame (Not New Vaq or flat top BH) that are converted to 44 Spl could be considered a 'Ruger loads only' gun that any super hot loaded 44 Spl (within reason) could be safely fired in.

Kanook

Buckeye
Half cock, Load 1, Skip 1, Load the remaining 4, Verify visually next hole empty, Full cock on empty hole, Gently bring hammer down on empty while keeping trigger pulled/squeezed.

I, m betting you know this, but just in case.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Thank you all for the advice and thoroughly answering my questions. I have gathered all I need to start casting and loading on my own. While I don't need hot loads I would like to load as "safely hot" as possible. I do have a manual and I understand I need to start lower and work up. I have a few pounds of Unique, 2400, and 8lb jug of 4227. I mostly will cast 240 grain flatnose but I have some cast 180 grain cast target bullets I found on the forum. John Gallagher told me 44 special is more accurate loading 240 grains and larger and to push 180 to 200 grain at higher velocity to obtain greater accuracy. Could some of you recommend some pet 44 special loads that you really like? I will start lower and work up. Please let me say all advice is appreciated,

The edit was due to finding 180 grain cast bullets and not fully loaded 180 grain ammo as I originally posted. Any suggestions on a recommendation for a cast 180 grain round nosed lubed load?

CraigC

Hawkeye
1. It is not safe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Five beans in the wheel is the rule, load one, skip one, load four, bring the hammer to full cock and lower it.

Which brings me to another point, your sixgun is probably perfectly timed. If you never lower the hammer from half cock, always bring it to full cock before lowering, it will never ring the cylinder.

2/3. A converted Old Model .357 is safe for a lifetime of the old Skeeter load (250gr Keith over 7.5gr Unique for 950fps) and is perfectly suitable for the 1200fps Keith load....although most would recommend using it sparingly.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
GA Cracker said:
Could some of you recommend some pet 44 special loads that you really like? I will start lower and work up. Please let me say all advice is appreciated,

GA,

You can't hardly beat the old Skeeter load mentioned above for accuracy and all-purpose load; 7.5 grs Unique, 250 gr lead SWC, preferably Kieth's original design with wide front band and sq cut grease grooves available from some suppliers and moulds from RCBS, etc.

A 240 gr SWC works almost as well. Unique is the 'natural' powder made by Alliant, for 44 Spl. Skeeter's load above is a little brisk for some to shoot all the time, so try 5 grs, 5.5, 6, 6.5 etc. See which your gun likes for a more docile plinking and paper punching load. You should load 44 Colt cases or even 44 Russian cases for consistent performance and burning rate efficiency with the lighter loads.

Slug your barrel and measure cyl throats to match you bullet sizing to, or .001" over.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Pics for Ga Cracker.

CAM00925_zpse1b74b45.jpg

CAM00928_zps84cf2581.jpg

flexjr

Bearcat
om bisley does my heart good to see. one more peice of advice. if using heavy 44 special for hunting or any time shooting it, and by heavy i mean 250s close to 1200 fps, be sure to have an empty case in your empty chamber. i use 240 xtps at 1191 out of my Harton conversion, and it will pull the loading gate if there is not a case under it to support it.this can lead to breaking the loading gate.there is a good reason ruger made counterbored cylinders on their large frame blackhawks in the old model days

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Coite, Nice looking rig there friend.
I agree, load five and stay safe. I find myself keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber even when shooting my NM`s. A habit I picked up shooting CAS.The heaviest loads listed for 4227 are usually mild in pressure compared to Lil Gun or H110 and will get the job done in fine manor.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Wow! That's a beauty of a gun!
I hadn't known such a conversion / modification existed. I haven't any experience with a Bisley-type grip-framed pistol... now, I want one!

RugerHound

Hunter
The only time I've put 6 in a Revolver was when I had to go to Long Beach during the 'Rotney King' riots. I carried Maggie (my avatar) with me loaded with a full cyl 158 gr hollow points with 18 more in the belt. ;) I wasn't about to be at a disadvantage!

Gorgeous guns! Man oh man!

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Ga Cracker,

That's a nice looking .44 Special.

What is the maker's name on the knife behind your revolver in the pic with the faux ivory grips?

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Leonard Howell that lives near Columbus, GA on the Alabama side in Opelika, AL made the damascus bowie for me. Mr Howell is a true southern gentleman that does quality work. He is a true old fashioned blacksmith that puts fit and finish in his blades, handles, and leather work. I gave him a pattern and he made this one for me in damascus. The knife handle is Sambar stag. He used 7 pieces of 1095 steel and 6 pieces of 15N20 folding it on his forge 4 times and that comes out to 208 layers. I have another damascus and a tomahawk he made for me. I also bought some he made from scratch for gifts that were not damascus. Mr Howell takes pride in his work. He doesn't like to do forge work in hot weather. I spoke with him not long ago. PM me if you want his contact info.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Leonard Howell 334-749-1942
550 Lee Rd 169
Opelika, AL 36804
Mr Howell made the damascus bowie from a pattern knife I sent to him. I will try to do another post with pictures of three knives and a tomahawk Mr Howell did for me.
I got the case made of mink from Mr Howell but the bottom knife was not made by Mr Howell. I was told the bottom knife is a 1909 US Military Bolo. The knife is marked US MOD 191 and I can't make out the last digit on the right side. The date of 1918 marked on the knife's left side with some writing I can't make out and PHILA is on the left side. The Bolo was flat on one side of the blade and carried an angle edge on the other side. I was told this was a military field amputation tool but I can't verify that. Anyhoo I worked an edge on both sides and put an edge on the top end of the blade and I like it as a Bowie knife. Some may say I ruined it but I like it the way I fixed it.