Picked up a new South Sport American .17 HMR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I got a new Ruger American rimfire in .17 HMR yesterday. I had ordered it online, I hate to not buy locally, but no one could get this South Sport version with the green stock and 16 inch threaded barrel, and certainly not for what I paid for it. All the gun shops had the standard American .17 HMR and they were easily $75 to $100 more even with the shipping and transfer factored in. I was going to get a .22 Magnum but no one here can get .22 Magnum (this is one of those states where we have to buy from a dealer) but .17 HMR, heck they can't give it away, I can get Hornady ammo for $12-$13 for 50 rounds.
I got this for my fox gun, we have a lot of them hanging around and even though I live in the boonies, I have neighbors a couple hundred yards on either side and I plan on night hunting once deer season is over. I snagged the scope for $25 (normally about $50-$60) and got the rings today, hope to get it to the range next week.

Very nice. Mine is a standard American 17 and it shoots great. It likes the Hornady 17 grain best. The 20 grain Hornady actually shoots a tad better out to about 60 yards, but the 17's stay tighter out past that. I have an American 22 with the compact barrel and it is very accurate as well.
Look forward to a range report.