Gonna order a new Mark IV tomorrow

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bear007

Bearcat
I've never shot any of the Ruger Mark pistols but have heard some good things about some older Mark versions. I'm probably going with a Mark IV 22/45 5.5" bull barrel or the Mark IV 22/45 Aluminum LITE 4.4" barrel model. I've not shot either but the 22/45 grip angle just looks more ergonomic to me than the standard Mark IV grip.

Just looking to hear any thoughts or considerations you might have before picking and ordering a new pistol tomorrow.

Thanks

hittman

Staff member
No wrong answers here.
I never cared for the 22/45 but also not a 1911 guy.
My favorite is the MKII series and I never had the need to take one apart.
They just always worked.
Every time.
Without fail.
Before the MKIV came out, I know some folks would gladly pay more for a USED MKII than they would not a NEW MKIII.
Don't know if that holds true today but I doubt it.

bear007

Bearcat
I know the MK II is the most loved. And I know the MK II shoots everytime ... whether you clean it or not lol. My BIL bought an MK II with about a 7" blued barrel around 1985. He lives on his own little 12 acre piece of mountain property. He has carried and shot that pistol over all these years at all kinds of critters as he puts it and never had it apart. I cleaned it 2 years ago. It was very difficult to get apart and packed full inside. Only little channels existed where the moving parts traveled. MK II is an amazing and durable handgun. I hope the MK IV turns out the same though I do clean my guns lol.

bear007

Bearcat
I guess the only real question is ... do you think the Target model 5.5" bull barrel is significantly more accurate than the stainless 4.4" barrel in the Aluminum LITE model?

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I guess the only real question is ... do you think the Target model 5.5" bull barrel is significantly more accurate than the stainless 4.4" barrel in the Aluminum LITE model?
5.5" model has a 25% increase in sight radius; to me that's significant in aiming. Inherent accuracy if they were shot from a vice? Maybe not. But extra length - especially from short barrels - gives extra velocity that may help if you're hunting.

But I'm biased: my MK II is 6-7/8" and my MK IV is 10".

bear007

Bearcat
I'll be doing some target shooting but looking to do the steel target shoots at my club. So I think running the course with a 10" bull barrel might be a little much.

I should probably just get the Target 5.5" bull barrel model and quit looking at the Aluminum LITE, but that LITE looks pretty nice with the gold trigger and gold barrel under the shroud.

RUT

Single-Sixer
I know I like my Lite!

Attachments

• MK4.jpg
    MK4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 57

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
If you are planning on mostly shooting steel go with the 22/45 Lite. It tracks much faster between targets and you are not loosing anything do to the shooter sight radius.

I bought mine when they first came out and it's been a shooter ever since with total reliability after breaking it in. I suggest you shoot CCI Mini Mags for the first few hundred rounds. Once it settles in it will be 100 % reliable.

mjh

Single-Sixer
I had a 22/45 MK III Target---it was very accurate. Slightly muzzle heavy. Sold it to buy a SP 101 in .22lr when the 8 rd model came out.
Didn't have any problems with the takedown-cleaning-reassembly. Used it on the range and in the field small game hunting.

Last year or so I bought a MK IV Hunter blued with the 5.5inch barrel. So far only range use.

I'm ok with either grip configuration. Neither is perfect for me but both are acceptable.

If I was buying a new 22/45 I might very well go with the lite---I like the one you are thinking about as well.

Latest posts