Permitless Carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Paul B

Hunter
I guess I may be breaking a rule about asking people to see other sites but in this case I think it may help. If you go to, "The Firing Line" site there is a segment (room) called, "Law and Civil Rights." You can see some interesting stuff there, and right now there is a discussion in that guy who got busted for displaying a firearm in front of is house which was across the street from a school. Most of the participants are either lawyers or know quite a bit about law and some interesting conclusion so far. Point is they the quote law and how they think it should be interpreted. Some interesting opinions based on legal experience. They run a tight ship over there, sometimes I think too tight but there are few squabbles there.
Paul B.

But back to the original concept of permitless carry. Those who want training requirements, education about the law, etc. are really saying that they do not believe in the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2nd Amendment. When parts of our country tried to set standards for who could vote, it was decried as racist and made illegal. If you grant the government the right to set standards on who can carry a gun, you end up with a situation such as what NY lived with for the past hundred years or so. "Shall not be infringed" means just that. Everyone not otherwise banned from owning a firearm has the right to carry a firearm, and if they abuse or misuse that firearm they are subject to appropriate punishment. That is the risk we take in return for the right to be free citizens.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
So here's a question. If you have a driver's licenses from Maine it's acceptable in all 50 states and territories & protectorates of the US. So why aren't conealed carry permits the same.
Not ragging on you, but that's a really bad analogy that I'm tired of hearing, just like fire in a theater BS. Shouldn't need a permission slip to exercise a Right to start with, and over 1/2 the country is finally understanding that.

Mike J

Hunter
But back to the original concept of permitless carry. Those who want training requirements, education about the law, etc. are really saying that they do not believe in the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2nd Amendment. When parts of our country tried to set standards for who could vote, it was decried as racist and made illegal. If you grant the government the right to set standards on who can carry a gun, you end up with a situation such as what NY lived with for the past hundred years or so. "Shall not be infringed" means just that. Everyone not otherwise banned from owning a firearm has the right to carry a firearm, and if they abuse or misuse that firearm they are subject to appropriate punishment. That is the risk we take in return for the right to be free citizens.

I agree.

rotor

Single-Sixer
So here's a question. If you have a driver's licenses from Maine it's acceptable in all 50 states and territories & protectorates of the US. So why aren't conealed carry permits the same.
When I was 16 I had an Illinois drivers license that was NOT valid in New York City. So, your point is not accurate. I agree though that a right is a right and should be honored everywhere whereas driving is not a right.

pyth0n

Buckeye
So you are an ATF mole? The States will not stand for what you say is a "Federal Law". Non-enforcement is the same as non-existent.
This is interesting;

Also, as best as I can find out, FEDERAL LAW says a person must have a permit to carry in the school zone. No permit, no carry (See the exception's in the act). So there's been no other info on the permit less carry states, I suppose because it's already addressed in the Fed Law.
Just my $.02, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
This is interesting;

Also, as best as I can find out, FEDERAL LAW says a person must have a permit to carry in the school zone. No permit, no carry (See the exception's in the act). So there's been no other info on the permit less carry states, I suppose because it's already addressed in the Fed Law.
Just my $.02, for what it's worth.

Massive incompetence by the legal system in Billings.

I share a property line with the local K-12 school, but my house is approx 1/4mile from the school property thru dense forest that I own. I've shot and hunted on my property for 23 years, and not a soul has complained, including the deputy or the retired sheriff who have property near mine. I have a lot more guns than just one shotgun. I wear a sidearm every time I walk out the door, which means I'm well within that stupid GFSZ law just taking the garbage out or picking up the mail.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Massive incompetence by the legal system in Billings.

I share a property line with the local K-12 school, but my house is approx 1/4mile from the school property thru dense forest that I own. I've shot and hunted on my property for 23 years, and not a soul has complained, including the deputy or the retired sheriff who have property near mine. I have a lot more guns than just one shotgun. I wear a sidearm every time I walk out the door, which means I'm well within that stupid GFSZ law just taking the garbage out or picking up the mail.
You just never know whose woke feathers are ruffled any more. I worked in a Guns store/range in AZ that was across the street from a private school. Never heard a word about it. Also dealt with 3 LGS within walking distance of each other & all within the 1000 feet. Never was a problem.

In about 1970 a group of parents decided to build a private school in the county I grew up in... some people in the community did not like this and there was a rumor that the new school would be burned down one night... I remember my father putting his holster on with his S&W 38 and also taking a 12 gage shotgun to stand watch at night with some other parents.

IMHO, some locations 'approve' permitless carry with the express intent to build a case file of incidents that will later become the impetus for increased gun control. What better way to accumulate an assortment of 'gun oops' incidents?
I'm not saying that 'having training' is imperative to carrying a SD firearm but at least some knowledge of how/when/where the use of that firearm is legal and appropriate. A simple written test (like a drivers' test) to determine knowledge of legalities seems acceptable w/o being too onerous.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
IMHO, some locations 'approve' permitless carry with the express intent to build a case file of incidents that will later become the impetus for increased gun control. What better way to accumulate an assortment of 'gun oops' incidents?
I'm not saying that 'having training' is imperative to carrying a SD firearm but at least some knowledge of how/when/where the use of that firearm is legal and appropriate. A simple written test (like a drivers' test) to determine knowledge of legalities seems acceptable w/o being too onerous.
Might be acceptable to you. A test such as you mention, is not acceptable to me. Failing such a test, and therefore being disqualified would infringe on a Right. And if there is no pass/fail criteria, then of what possible use is such a test? Would everyone get unlimited do-overs? Again, what would be the point?