PC Carbine Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
Just got back from the range shooting the PC Carbine. It was a rainy, nasty day, although it's much warmer than it's been. So, I didn't really get to shoot it at a decent distance, most of my shooting was at 25 yards or less. It was right on with the iron sights straight out of the box. So, I put a cheap Tasco Pro Point red dot on it, and only had to adjust it just a very little and it was dead on. Proceeded to shoot 8 magazines full, 17 rounds each, all my lead reloads, and one mag full of jacketed. Zero malfunctions. I think I may reverse the mag release, I think I will prefer to have it on the right side. And, I installed all the spacers, which made it a tad long at the bench (although it was fine standing up), so I think I may remove one of those. All in all, I am very satisfied with it, although it is ugly as home made soap! Oh yeah, I installed a muzzle break to help tame the bone crushing recoil of the 9mm!

DGW1949

Hunter
Sounds like a fun time to me, nasty day or not.
I love it when a gun does what it's supposed to do right out of the gate, and as far as 'ugly' goes...pretty is as pretty does, eh?

DGW

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Nice report Gunman, looking forward to more. Sounds like a winner. A 9mm rifle that we can all be proud of, again. :D

mac66

Single-Sixer
gunman42782 said:
Just got back from the range shooting the PC Carbine. It was a rainy, nasty day, although it's much warmer than it's been. So, I didn't really get to shoot it at a decent distance, most of my shooting was at 25 yards or less. It was right on with the iron sights straight out of the box. So, I put a cheap Tasco Pro Point red dot on it, and only had to adjust it just a very little and it was dead on. Proceeded to shoot 8 magazines full, 17 rounds each, all my lead reloads, and one mag full of jacketed. Zero malfunctions. I think I may reverse the mag release, I think I will prefer to have it on the right side. And, I installed all the spacers, which made it a tad long at the bench (although it was fine standing up), so I think I may remove one of those. All in all, I am very satisfied with it, although it is ugly as home made soap! Oh yeah, I installed a muzzle break to help tame the bone crushing recoil of the 9mm!

Just out of curiosity, look at the trigger group and see if it is the same size/dimensions as the 10/22. I know the bolt release is different but if you have a 10/22 look and see what the difference is.

gunman42782

Hunter
Just out of curiosity, look at the trigger group and see if it is the same size/dimensions as the 10/22. I know the bolt release is different but if you have a 10/22 look and see what the difference is.[/quote]

They look almost the same, the 10/22 has the mag release in it, while the PC does not, as it's farther forward in the mag well. And of course, as you mentioned, the bolt hold open is different as well. It's plastic, like the new 10/22s. Size wise, they look the same to me.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Another question, what muzzle brake did you fit? Ruger says the barrel threads are 1/2-28 which is the standard for .22 rimfire and .223/5.56 centerfire brakes but those brakes will have a hole too small for a 9 mm bullet. Where did you get a 1/2-28 threaded brake with a 9 mm bullet channel?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
Another question, what muzzle brake did you fit? Ruger says the barrel threads are 1/2-28 which is the standard for .22 rimfire and .223/5.56 centerfire brakes but those brakes will have a hole too small for a 9 mm bullet. Where did you get a 1/2-28 threaded brake with a 9 mm bullet channel?

22/45-
I just had one of these delivered. It should be fine. https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=922040

gunman42782

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/777716/ar-stoner-tactical-flash-hider-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-9mm-luger-matte

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Rei40c, that should work and Lone Wolf lists several models intended for 9 mm barrels. Good to know.

gunman42782, that's a flash hider, not a muzzle brake, but it is designed for 9 mm barrels with the 1/2-28 thread.

rangerbob

Buckeye
While I am waiting on my Carbine, I took a spare A1 flash hider and bored it out with a 3/8" bit, which of course, is .375". 9mm bullets fall through it. Other than to look cool and tactical, I don't think a flash hider is necessary seeing how a 16" barrel will burn up all the powder one can put in a 9mm case. Bob!! :mrgreen:

gunman42782

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
gunman42782, that's a flash hider, not a muzzle brake, but it is designed for 9 mm barrels with the 1/2-28 thread.

Well, excuse me, I had a brain fart!

mpalm

Single-Sixer
The original Pc9 was much prettier to look at but this new one is affordable and the old PC9's are super expensive right now.
She might be ugly, but it looks like she will be popular ! LoL

22/45 Fan

Hunter
mpalm said:
The original Pc9 was much prettier to look at but this new one is affordable and the old PC9's are super expensive right now.
She might be ugly, but it looks like she will be popular ! LoL
The new one is also far more versatile since it takes a much wider variety of magazine including the ubiquitous Glocks. The potential for adapters for other makes of magazine (Sig, Beretta, etc.) could make it even more versatile.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
gunman42782 said:

Where did you get yours? My local fun store has them on order, he thinks they will arrive toward the end of the month.

mac66

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:

That thread is standard for 9mm. . Lots of 9 mm ARs out there. Any FH or brake that is rated for the 9 will fit on it

rangerbob

Buckeye
mac 66, most of the 9mm AR barrels are threaded 1/2x36, not 1/2 x 28, so I suggest that there is no "standard thread" for 9mm barrels. That's why I rebored a standard A1 flash hider to accept the larger diameter bullet and therefore use on the PC Carbine. Bob!! :wink:

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
mac66 said:
That thread is standard for 9mm. . Lots of 9 mm ARs out there. Any FH or brake that is rated for the 9 will fit on it

Incorrect. 1/2x36 TPI has always been the standard thread for 9mm. 1/2x28 has recently gained popularity because of the use of sound suppressors.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I really want Ruger to make the same flash hider for the new carbine as is used on the Mini 14 and AR-556. I've always thought it was the coolest looking one out there. Yes, looking cool is important!

jframe

Bearcat
Call it ugly if you want, but I personally like the appearance. All business with the fluted barrel and synthetic stock, and mine shoots great; made me look like I get a hell of a lot more practice than I actually do! It would have been perfect, except someone at Ruger forgot to include the Glock mag adapter with mine, so I had to call this morning first thing, and they are shooting (no pun intended) one out to me. 100 rounds thru mine yesterday, zero malfunctions, and my 48 year old eyes on those iron sights at 50 yards actually did pretty well.

Latest posts