Ruger PC Carbine range report (long)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I was finally able to get my new 9mm long gun to the range for more than a basic function test, do some load development, and determine if there was much shift in POI after breaking it down and reassembling. I had two other people shoot mine (one was my wife and it was her first time with this firearm, the other was my step-dad who has a model with the free-float handguard), and even swapped optics to another PCC to see what kind of difference there was, as well as seeing how well it remained zeroed when reinstalling it on mine.

My carbine is a Digital Cam model with standard forend. It has a Holosun 512 with a 2 MOA dot on the Pic rail. I was shooting off a front rest and rear bag, and distance to the target was exactly 30 yards from the muzzle. Ammunition consisted of handloads using 124 grain Kodiak plated HPs and Titegroup powder in mixed cases, and groups were five shots each. I was using Magpul G17 magazines. Reliability was 100%.

Groups: Much better than my first time out, when I used factory 115 grain FMJ ammo (Blazer Brass and Aguila). We did notice a consistent flier to the left with the first hand-chambered round, but as we kept shooting, that first shot got progressively closer to the main group until by the last go-'round it wasn't noticeable. When I give an overall group and then mention "...with four in...", that is discounting that left-hand first round. My wife's first group was 1.7" with 4 in .75". Her next group was .84" for all five. Her third was .69"! My step-dad had a group of .77" with 4 in .455". My groups were all under an inch with the exception of one where I had a little bump fire oopsie 😆. I will be mounting up a 3-9X40mm for my next range trip, because I truly believe this will shoot one ragged hole at 25 yards if I have a reticle that doesn't completely cover my aiming point.

POA vs. POI: I removed my Holosun and mounted it on my step-dad's PC Carbine and it grouped about 2 inches higher than mine, with windage dead-on. I'm guessing the different forend pressure on the barrels may be at play, but the fact that the windage was perfect implies that the machining of the receivers is top-notch resulting in a true barrel/receiver/Picatinny rail interface. I reattached the Holosun to my carbine after he fired several groups with his and the return to zero was magnificent. Then for what I thought might be a real test, I fired two rounds, removed and reinstalled the barrel/forend, and fired three more. The group was a gratifying .76".

Conclusion? I think this platform does everything I need it to for a reasonable price (mine was under $550 since it was a closeout). Accuracy is better than what I had been led to expect. Reliability during the first 100 rounds has been perfect, and in my experience, if a semi-auto is going to be glitchy, it is usually during the "break-in" period. The only thing I don't particularly like is the safety, but I will be installing an ambidextrous lever type soon, and that will take care of that complaint. If someone wants a 9mm pistol caliber carbine, there are worse guns out there for more money. This is far from "tacticool", and if you think the AR platform is the greatest thing since Hot Pockets 🤮 (HPs, not ARs), you will likely look elsewhere. But if you want a solid shooter that may not trigger the hopolophobes for not too much $$$, I think you can pick one of these up with confidence.

Oh, and FWIW, my step-dad's is a little less accurate than mine, buuuuuut it puts factory American Eagle 147 grain FMJ into groups only a little larger than those using my handloads.

Pics of some of the groups. No they are not centered up, but when I settle on a load, I'll adjust so POA/POI coincide.
pccr.jpeg

pccr1.jpeg

pccr2.jpeg

pccr3.jpeg

... If someone wants a 9mm pistol caliber carbine, there are worse guns out there for more money. This is far from "tacticool", and if you think the AR platform is the greatest thing since Hot Pockets 🤮 (HPs, not ARs), you will likely look elsewhere...

My approach was to have both a PCC and an AR in 9mm. Not sure which one I would keep if I had to get rid of one; I really enjoy shooting both of them, and they're equally accurate & reliable. (I like the PCC so much I was planning to get one in 40 caliber - and then Ruger stopped making them!) As you mentioned, the PCC is a more traditional design, which will likely remain legal in more places for far longer. But my 9mm AR is unique - it feeds from unmodified Uzi mags, using a one-of-a-kind adapter built around an actual Uzi mag well. Getting rid of one or the other would be a tough decision!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the review. I picked up one last weekend with the black plastic buttstock and the aluminum MLock forend.
I had wanted the AR style buttstock and pistolgrip but I couldn't find one, then I found this one for a good price and it felt just fine.

Hoping to find out how it shoots this coming afternoon.
The safety is fine for me as it is the same set-up and location they have used on 10-22s since they hit the market decades ago.

First round flyers are usually caused by a cold barrel. It's also why a lot of hunters miss. Most people sight when the barrel is warmed up and "fouled"which is fine for plinking but for hunting you should finish sighting with a cold/clean barrel. What I like to do is save the target with the first round flyer and use it to adjust the point of aim and then verify with a cold/clean shot.

Last edited:

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Shot my carbine today with 4 different brands of 115 FMJ. The last magazine load was steel cased.
All functioned fine. Mine is set up for Glock magazines. Tried 2 Glock 17 mags, 2 Magpul and 1 ETS, no problems.

Indoor range. targets right to the back (still a bit short} sights seemed ok as they were, no bench available.
Added an EOTech red dot that was gathering dust. Grouping much improved but the EOTech sets high enough I either have to raise the comb or go for a lower, more compact and lighter substitute. Probably buy another red dot, maybe.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
First round flyers are usually caused by a cold barrel. It's also why a lot of hunters miss. Most people sight when the barrel is warmed up and "fouled"which is fine for plinking but for hunting you should finish sighting with a cold/clean barrel. What I like to do is save the target with the first round flyer and use it to adjust the point of aim and then verify with a cold/clean shot.
This was consistently the first hand chambered round in a magazine even after the barrel was quite warm. Since my initial post, I've put 200 more through it, and the phenomenon is unnoticeable now. Action just needed to bed into itself. Last time out, I was getting 1/2" groups at 30 yards until they started to open due to fouling. So no accuracy loss until over 250 rounds of my (kinda' dirty) plated bullet handloads on this one. I can live with that!