Range Report: New Marlin 1894 .44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
My son and I gave it a workout yesterday with aprox. 150 full power 44 magnum loads, several 210 grains and the rest 240 grains, all JHP's. We both just loved the sights. Neither of us has shot a CF rifle in over 20 years, and that was off a bench. This session was all offhand. It's just a combination of the right weight, ergonomics, and sights that made hitting tin cans at ranges of 40-65 yds. a cinch. I think both of us were just having a really good day, too, but this rifle made it easy. The recoil wasn't bad, but you will feel it. 300 grainers would be a different story.

I did notice that after I'd shot about 80 rounds my misses were more common. No matter what I'm shooting I do the best at first and then it tapers down and that's when I stop. I told my son I doubted we'd shoot all 250 rounds I brought being that our shoulders would tell us when to stop LOL

All was not a bed of roses with the Marlin :( We had constant jams with the round not being pushed all the way into the carrier. No failures to chamber, just not getting fully into the carrier. It's either a bad spring and/or follower in the magazine tube. Burrs? At home it was easy to see what was happening. Sometimes a new round doesn't even get pushed part of the way because the assemble is bound up. Several times it wouldn't even push a cartridge down to the loading gate. Great! How wonderful would that be to have 8 cartridges stuck in the magazine tube, but it has to be sent back? FWIW, it was actually worse at home with a cold barrel.

This could be dangerous. At home each time I'd load either 5 or 10 rounds and work the action. Then I would count the ejected rounds and I'd only have 7 with none showing whatsoever in the bore or in front of the loading gate. Then "click" and there's a round in front of the loading gate.

I'm sure Marlin is like Ruger shutting down for the holidays. I'll shoot them, no pun intended, an email. I'm not taking a new rifle apart. I havn't read of anyone having a problem with these new Marlins. Something's screwy with mine, though.

Anyway, even with this problem it didn't ruin the enjoyment we got from shooting it.

I'm looking forward to benching it. 1894's aren't noted for being tack drivers so we'll see what happens once it's fixed.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Did you field strip, clean, and lube the rifle prior to shooting it? I have had more than a few guns that came new from the factory with machining oil and debris left in them, or loaded up with preservative grease (which don't actually lube anything). Any of that is enough to cause the tightly fitting mag follower to stick.

Ethang

Blackhawk
might be something. Maybe take the stock off and spray down the action with gun scrubber or cough... non-chlorinated brake cleaner... I did this with my Rossi when I first got it and had a bunch of nastiness come out of the action. Might also just need some working of the action to break it in. Do you have dummy rounds or reloads without primers you can run through?

Cholo

Staff member
I've sent Marlin a Contact Us form explaining the problem. I also filled out the warranty card online.

I thoroughly cleaned the rifle using non chlorinated brake cleaner and oiled it per the manual. The problem is in the magazine tube which is hard to access without removing it.

I just checked my email and Ruger, not Marlin, responded within one hour! How cool is that! They want the rifle back. The only rub is that I won't send the stock back with the gun because it has exceptional walnut and I don't want any mishaps. Don't even ask about the "mishaps" I've recently had with a high $ gun maker :mad: A few on the Forum know who I'm talking about because I showed them the pics. :poop: happens, but not to this stock!

I'm sure it was a canned response, but I will call them on Monday.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Cholo,
Many of the SASS shooters change out the feed spring and the plastic Follower that is attached to it due to feed problems. I have not had any in my 94s but I have had the Marlin Jam due to bad/worn Carriers. Before sending it back I would take of the Tube Plug on the mag tube and check the spring and the inside of the tube. It is very easy to do. I have done it many times at a match when getting the "Marlin Jam" and need to unload all of the unfired rounds.
Except for the Winchester 1873 the Marlin 1894-95s are about the easiest lever rifle to take apart. They only have about 4 moving parts.
I hope you can figure out what I'm trying to explain. I'm not at home so I can't look at one of my Rifles or manual to talk you thru this.
By the way I don't think you will be doing any shipping on Monday since it's Christmas Day. :) SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Marry Christmas

Last edited:

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Wise decision regarding not sending the stock back. I had to send my Mayodan 10th anniversary LCP back for an extractor issue. It had a nice silver finish and (coveted?) double-struck caliber marking on the barrel. Got it back with a new barrel and slide. Can't complain about function, as it's 100% reliable since I got it back, but the slide looks like they spray-painted a regular blued one silver.

Cholo

Staff member
By the way I don't think you will be doing any shipping on Monday since it's Christmas Day. :) SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Marry Christmas
Jim, I looked at a video on how to repair it, but since it's a brand new rifle I'll let Ruger do it.

I'm off a few days on Christmas day LOL We celebrated it today so the entire family could be here for it. Merry Christmas to you and your family, too.

Thanks for sharing the range report. Good luck with the warranty work. I'm wondering if an older Marlin would experience the same issues.
Yes, they do. It's a really long spring with a cheap plastic follower, at least in some of the pre Ruger Marlins.

robertb

Bearcat
I too have the same exact new model Marlin 1894 Classic in .44 Mag. I ALSO have the same exact issue that you are seeing. I've put 150 rds through mine and it was doing what you described quite a bit the first time out. I took it back out the second time and it did it twice within the 50 rounds shot. Maybe it's wearing in, I don't know. Either way, it's frustrating to spend ~$1,000 on a rifle and have to troubleshoot. I didn't have this issue with my Rossi 92 or my Henry Big Boy.