PC Carbine Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
jframe said:
Call it ugly if you want, but I personally like the appearance. All business with the fluted barrel and synthetic stock, and mine shoots great; made me look like I get a hell of a lot more practice than I actually do! It would have been perfect, except someone at Ruger forgot to include the Glock mag adapter with mine, so I had to call this morning first thing, and they are shooting (no pun intended) one out to me. 100 rounds thru mine yesterday, zero malfunctions, and my 48 year old eyes on those iron sights at 50 yards actually did pretty well.

I think the new carbine looks great, I am glad they didn't make it another AR derivative covered in Piccatinny rails. So, they are already in stores where you are at?

ironhead7544

Bearcat
I like the looks of this carbine. Like the AR-15, you will never be able to make a Beauty Queen out of it, but who cares? As long as it functions 100%, I think it will be a big hit.

With the right ammo, the 16" 9mm carbine approximates a 357 Magnum 4" revolver with 125 gr ammo. So, you have a 33 shot carbine that you can make head shots with easily at 25 yards. Good backup for a home defense pistol.

Whoopee for me! I finally found one of these at the local Cabelas today and bought it. The folks at the gun counter didn't know they actually had two of them. And this was the first any of them knew this gun even existed. :?

When the customer behind me saw what i was buying, he bought the other one. :mrgreen:

djw54

Single-Sixer
Cabelas doesn't even list it on their website that I could find.
Local Field and Stream has it, so I could handle it. I will have one, but not ready to spend the $599 they want.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
djw54 said:
Cabelas doesn't even list it on their website that I could find.
Local Field and Stream has it, so I could handle it. I will have one, but not ready to spend the $599 they want.
My local, not the cheapest, gun shop charged me $510 when they were first out and hard to find.

Hit the range with mine today for the first time.

I shot roughly a hundred rounds with perfect function, other than the first round in each magazine took a little bolt manipulation to get the round chambered. The case mouth was catching on the top of the feed ramp. I'm hoping this very abrupt edge will soften with some usage. Update two days later...The first rounds now enter the chamber effortlessly. :mrgreen:

I was shooting at and hitting chips of clay pigeons on the berm at 50 yards when I figured out the Kentucky windage. When I got home, I performed a sight adjustment for windage. I discovered the little tiny set screw requires a quality allen wrench to loosen it. The hex-bits in the cheap gun-tool sets were not up to it, including the Pachmayr brand bits. Not a big deal, but it's a tiny little internal hex, and it was tight. A good old fashioned American allen wrench finally did the trick. Compared to the tip of a ball point pen, you can see just how small this screw is. :mrgreen:

The peep sight, although not really a peep sight since it's a ghost ring mounted on the barrel, was very difficult for me to see. A true peep sight mounted to the receiver is a better choice for me. Not a criticism, but an observation. My original PC4 carbine, with the receiver mounted ghost ring, is far easier for me to shoot well.

I'm not a red-dot kind of person, but I did mount one to this gun after I was done at the range, for an experiment the next time out.

I also encountered some confusion when changing the mag insert from the SR9 insert to the Glock insert. The manual said to push the mag release while simultaneously pushing an internal plunger in the magwell. As soon as I pushed the mag release, the mag insert came out easily before I even pushed on the plunger. Further, it said pushing the plunger was not required with the Glock mag insert. No matter what it says, the change from the SR9 adapter to the Glock insert was effortless.

From the box, with two butt-spacers installed, the length of pull was 13-3/8", which I think is quite plenty for this kind of gun. There are two more spacers in the box, which when installed, would add nearly another inch to the length of pull. This is not a trap gun, and too long a length of pull would in my opinion, be a hindrance.

In my less than scientific test today, I shot bargain-basement 115 gr ball, 124 gr NATO, and 147 gr HST's. Didn't matter. The little gun handled them all the same.

In a nutshell, this is a very decent and effective little carbine, for what it's designed to be. In fact, it operated with perfect monotony.

WAYNO, I think you will like that Bushnell TRS-25. I have used them on 12 gauge slug / turkey guns and on a 45/70. They hold up well.

I have a PC9 Carbine waiting for me when I get home next week. I have two of the TRS-25 red dots on other guns and that's probably what will go on my carbine as well.

gc70

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
When I got home, I performed a sight adjustment for windage. I discovered the little tiny set screw requires a quality allen wrench to loosen it.

Three hex keys are included in the PCC9 box; one is the proper size for the sight.

6cU3grA.jpg

gc70 said:
Three hex keys are included in the PCC9 box; one is the proper size for the sight.

With all the stuff in the box, and there was a lot, I didn't even consider they supplied allen wrenches. Now when I sell this gun, I can tell the new buyer it comes with brand new allen wrenches. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

mac66

Single-Sixer
deadduck357 said:
mac66 said:
That thread is standard for 9mm. . Lots of 9 mm ARs out there. Any FH or brake that is rated for the 9 will fit on it

Incorrect. 1/2x36 TPI has always been the standard thread for 9mm. 1/2x28 has recently gained popularity because of the use of sound suppressors.

So, my apologies for assuming.

Rumrunner said:
WAYNO, I think you will like that Bushnell TRS-25. I have used them on 12 gauge slug / turkey guns and on a 45/70. They hold up well.

I have a PC9 Carbine waiting for me when I get home next week. I have two of the TRS-25 red dots on other guns and that's probably what will go on my carbine as well.

I apparently got the rear sight adjusted just right. It hits where I aim. :mrgreen:

And the TRS-25...You're right. Especially shooting at a black bullseye at 50 yards, the little red dot made the aiming point easily obvious. I might just keep it on there. 8)

daveb

Bearcat
Will be competing in IDPA with the Ruger 9c. Any ideas on mag holders?

lmaddox

Bearcat
I bought a Key Tec Sub 2000 a short while back and I quit trying to find the Ruger PC Carbine. As luck would have it a friend wanted on of my pistols more than i did and you know how it is when you have fun money. I called a store that if anyone had one they would. Well after giving them my card numbers to hold, i drove two hours to pick it up. I too was thinking about a muzzle brake because i put a buffer in the Kel Tec and expected similar recoil from the Ruger. After firing the Ruger you would think it was a 10 22 instead of a nine. We were at the range this morning giving a safety orientation to three new members, so after that the five of us all fired a few rounds each and everyone just stared at the rifle after they fired it. It fired perfectly and spending money on a brake would be a waste of money. BTW it's not ugly after you own one.

WAYNO said:
Rumrunner said:

I apparently got the rear sight adjusted just right. It hits where I aim. :mrgreen:

And the TRS-25...You're right. Especially shooting at a black bullseye at 50 yards, the little red dot made the aiming point easily obvious. I might just keep it on there. 8)

I too liked the sight on WAYNO's PC. I was very impressed with the trigger, lack of recoil and accuracy. Neat little package!

Dave

22/45 Fan

Hunter
mac66 said:
deadduck357 said:
mac66 said:
That thread is standard for 9mm. . Lots of 9 mm ARs out there. Any FH or brake that is rated for the 9 will fit on it

Incorrect. 1/2x36 TPI has always been the standard thread for 9mm. 1/2x28 has recently gained popularity because of the use of sound suppressors.

So, my apologies for assuming.
Which is exactly why I posted to be careful that any muzzle device you add to the PC Carbine is made for a 9 mm. Most 1/2-28 threaded devices are made for .22 bore size.

vireya

Bearcat
Just got back from Shoot-Straight, West Palm Beach, 3/13/18 who does have it in stock!! On the phone they said they wud price match. I hurried down there, and saw that it was listed at $649 and when I told them of other online shops that had sub500 prices, they dropped the price all the way down to....630. Thats what they call price match...even when I told them Ive bot a few guns there and never had such a tiny cut in price. The counter guy said thats why theyre not dropping it more...they gotta get even with me.
Think I will wait a bit, til others get them and the price drops.
I was surprised at the weight, however. With the composite stock I figured it wud be a liteweight...not so
Then went to W PLM BCH gun show 3/18 where there was 2 for sale, $649 and $600; firm price.
Today, 3/20 early this AM, got an email from KYGUNS saying it was available for $510, so bot that instead of waiting for Lanbo $467 or Centerfire $479 to refill their shelves
WATCH OUT FOR WAYNE'S BELOW "COOL AND CHEAP" POST!!!!

PROLLY HAS A VIRUS ATTACHED, CUZ THE LINK IS SUSPICIOUS

EXCLAMATION POINT BEFORE THE HTTP REVEALS MY SUSPICION

waynem

Bearcat
cool and cheap !https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2x28-FXC-1-Short-Compact-Muzzle-Brake-Compensator-9mm-version-Crush-Washer/273012915049?hash=item3f90d67b69:g:kxQAAOSw-RFaUAYH

vireya

Bearcat
WATCH OUT FOR WAYNE'S ABOVE "COOL AND CHEAP" POST!!!!

waynem

Bearcat
vireya said:

its just a link to e-bay of the comp i bought. did not know i was going to start a panic. i just bought a new model ruger pcc carbine and trying to be helpful , but i will just go ahead and leave group. :roll:

VinnieBoomBah

Bearcat
vireya said:

Or, and this is just a thought, he hit the space bar after "cheep" than hit the "!" and than DIDN'T hit the space bar before he hit Cntl V :roll:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2x28-FXC-1-Short-Compact-Muzzle-Brake-Compensator-9mm-version-Crush-Washer/273012915049?hash=item3f90d67b69:g:kxQAAOSw-RFaUAYH

Latest posts