P-85 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

copen

Bearcat
This may seem something akin to putting Michelins on a VW beetle.
Are there any ways to accurize an old P-85 MK11? I don't really have any complaints about it,very reliable,i'm just cruious.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Other than a trigger job or custom aftermarket barrel I can't think of any great improvements that could be made to the P-Series..
There beefy & the parts are robust..
A good set of Hogue grips might be the best thing you could do to one to make it shoot better..
Others may chime in with a better answer..
I built a P-89 up from scratch about a week ago & haven't been to the range with it YET!!
I also put a modified P-95 Trigger in it which I really like..
Good Luck copen!!
Gary/bp

copen

Bearcat
Thanks Gary.
This isn't a project near the top of my to do list. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of accessories available for improvements.
Guess it's a silk purse out of a sow's ear type thing. Just curious if anyone had made any significant improvements on their P-85's.
Thanks again.

9isFine

Bearcat
You can polish the barrel and the trigger pivots. Dont polish the left side of the breach (side without the proof mark) as this is the lockup side. You can also polish the tab that inserts into the trigger bar. but really "it is what it is"

sargents1

Single-Sixer
This is what I have found to be very effective in making my P85 more accurate. When I am at the range standing on the 25yd line, I take four or five long steps (and I have long legs at 6ft6in tall) towards the target. This simple technique easily shrinks my groups by two inches!

No, as others have stated a P85 or P89 sort of "is what it is". Still, I know that I would be very interested if you find some tricks to slick yours up, post some pictures and share.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
btrumanj said:
Cheesewhiz said:
btrumanj said:
A set of adjustable sights might help some shooters a bit. :)

....or maybe "smart bullets", where's Anthony when you need him?

Old Anthony don't worry about better accuracy in a P85, he just throws 'em in the lake. :lol:

His gun has been 'drowneded'.
You should know, I had a ball with mine but not very accurate.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
MY P5 was/is no target pistol but as long as I can keep most of my shots inside of a saucer at 7 to 15 yds I'm happy with it. In all truth, some other brands won't do a heckuva lot better. :)
BT

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
btrumanj said:
MY P5 was/is no target pistol but as long as I can keep most of my shots inside of a saucer at 7 to 15 yds I'm happy with it. In all truth, some other brands won't do a heckuva lot better. :)
BT

I agree with that, I know of and have shot a couple or more premium priced, so called top of the line pistols that kinda, well they sucked actually.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
btrumanj said:
BT

I agree with that, I know of and have shot a couple or more premium priced, so called top of the line pistols that kinda, well they sucked actually.

How big of a saucer are you talking about here? My P85 isnt a target gun, but I can keep 'em all on a paper plate at 25yds. If I really work at it I can do a little better. At 7-15yds I could probably keep 'em inside of a softball.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
jrod said:
The grease is kinda like installing a match grade bushing.It takes all the play out.

All these years of getting or putting together accurate pistols and all I needed was some accu-grease. I'm such a dummy.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
sargents1 said:
Cheesewhiz said:
btrumanj said:
BT

How big of a saucer are you talking about here? My P85 isnt a target gun, but I can keep 'em all on a paper plate at 25yds. If I really work at it I can do a little better. At 7-15yds I could probably keep 'em inside of a softball.

A softball sized group at less than 50' doesn't make me very happy at all. I like 3" or better groups at 50'.