P-85 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
berettapistols said:
I don't see how grease on the barrel could shrink groups but anything is possible.. One ragged Hole Huh?? Oh My!! Gonna Try It!!
Gary/bp

One ragged hole .... suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure .... LOL. All from a little grease ..... uh huh .....

REV

sargents1

Single-Sixer

A regular softball is 3.8" in diameter. That isnt far off your standard and I am talking rough numbers in terms of what my gun will group. When I shoot paper, I have had ten shot groups that were about 6in at 25(ish) yds. Plenty accurate for "social work" as Jeff Quinn calls it. I would hazard a guess that with a more determined shooter (and more patient) and some ammo experimentation you could get this gun to shoot tighter. I just shoot the cheapest ammo I can find and I typically concentrate on practical shooting: plate shoots, (which are usually at 10yds) 3-gun matches, and plinking.

The old Boat Anchor is soft shooting, accurate enough, and 100% reliable (in my experience).

revhigh

Hawkeye
sargents1 said:
A regular softball is 3.8" in diameter.

I generally say the the accuracy that I expect from my guns (and that I'm capable of) is about the size of a billiard ball or tennis ball offhand at 50 feet. That's about 2.25 - 2.7 inches.

When I read your post, I thought that there's no way a softball is 3.8 inches ... I would have guessed about 5 inches, and I'm betting that's what Cheese was thinking too. Even now that I've confirmed it, it still seems like it would be bigger than that.

Also, the difference between a 3.8 inch circle and a 2.8 inch circle is huge, so although it would seem that there's not much difference between the two descriptions, from a group point of view that's a very large difference.

Softball sized groups would not be acceptable to me either .... a gun that couldn't do better than that would be gone if it were mine.

REV

jrod

Bearcat
ok Rev,I understand the skepticism,I thought the same thing 'til my buddy showed me that trick when I was living in alaska. My P-90 was already a good shooter, But the grease trick showed what that P-90 could really do. I'm still amazed at how many shooters don't shoot past 7-15 yards. I think shooters need to revisit one handed NRA Bullseye shooting and master the basics. New shooters would be amazed at what can be done at 25 & 50 yards. Have a great weekend everyone,and get out to range and practice. :D

revhigh

Hawkeye
jrod said:
My P-90 was already a good shooter, But the grease trick showed what that P-90 could really do.

OK jrod ... the P90's ARE great guns, and my guess would be that you just had a better day of shooting than normal, and that the grease ... well ... did nothing ! But it's OK either way. :D

You gotta admit ... it WAS funny when Cheese called it 'accu-grease' ! LOL.

Have a great weekend yourself !!

REV

jrod

Bearcat
Yup that accu-grease cracked me up too! :D I knew I shouldn't have told anyone about it. I knew I would catch H--l about it! I'm gonna have to call 'ol Harvey in Fairbanks and tell him about the response to his P-90 secret.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
sargents1 said:
A regular softball is 3.8" in diameter.

I generally say the the accuracy that I expect from my guns (and that I'm capable of) is about the size of a billiard ball or tennis ball offhand at 50 feet. That's about 2.25 - 2.7 inches.

When I read your post, I thought that there's no way a softball is 3.8 inches ... I would have guessed about 5 inches, and I'm betting that's what Cheese was thinking too. Even now that I've confirmed it, it still seems like it would be bigger than that.

Also, the difference between a 3.8 inch circle and a 2.8 inch circle is huge, so although it would seem that there's not much difference between the two descriptions, from a group point of view that's a very large difference.

Softball sized groups would not be acceptable to me either .... a gun that couldn't do better than that would be gone if it were mine.

REV

The difference between a 3.8in and a 2.8in circle is exactly 1 inch. I wouldn't say that is huge. It certainly didn't make any difference to the raccoon I shot this morning. It took him all of a half a second to expire and flop out of the tree.

I get your point, (1-(2.8/3.8 ) )*100 = 26%. Meaning the gun that is shooting a 2.8in group is 26% more accurate than the one shooting 3.8in.

No doubt about it, that is measurably more accurate. If you are shooting targets in competition and group size counts, then it makes a difference. If you are using your handgun for self defense, or in Dog defense, as was the case this morning, well that 26% doesn't mean anything. Especially when the range is three yards.

Since I am already beating a dead horse, I would like to point out that anyone who can reliably hit a softball at 50ft, and do it quickly when under pressure, is one heck of a good shot and their handgun is plenty accurate.

BTW, is that term Accu-grease trademarked? If its not, someone should jump on that. I can see it now, all the mall-ninjas and internet commandos lining up to get a tube of Accu-grease to slob onto their Glocks. :D

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I agree..
Need to patten the Accu-Grease Name.. HaHa!!
Won't run drip or sag, stays were you put it..
The Greatest Find in the Firearms Industry in the last 100 years..
John Mosses Browning would have used it if it were around back then..

revhigh

Hawkeye
sargents1 said:
I get your point, (1-(2.8/3.8 ) )*100 = 26%. Meaning the gun that is shooting a 2.8in group is 26% more accurate than the one shooting 3.8in.

You're comparing the percentage difference in diameter only with your theorem above.

Actually, in terms if area, it's almost a 100% increase ... 6.154 square inches vs 11.33 square inches ..... from 2.8 to 3.8 where R - 1.4 - 1.9.

Area = Pie R squared.

It's a lot more than you'd think from a target perspective, but I agree, from a combat perspective, given a center of mass shot ... negligibly different in terms of result.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I love math or geometry or whatever, it's like really cool or something.

:D

Seriously, if a pistol can't shoot at 3" or smaller at 50', it isn't a fun gun for the range. I like fun guns. I owned a P85 for years, it was not very accurate, I have many others that are accurate or very accurate.