Opinions on SP101 (KSP-321XL) as pocket weapon

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Harvey

Bearcat
Does anybody have experience and/or comments on using the hammerless SP101 as a pocket carry piece? I have been considering the LCR 5401. I prefer the steel piece, with less recoil. I would have the trigger pull reduced to about 8. I am concerned with weight (the lcr is about half the weight of the sp101) and obscuring the outline of the weapon while in my pocket. I usually wear jeans. I would use a pocket holster at all times. The retail price is about $100 more for the sp101. By "hammerless," I mean the covered hammer. Thanks.

eveled

Hawkeye
I have a DAO SP101 the hammer is bobbed, not covered just chopped off. It is too big/heavy for me to pocket carry. It is a great gun but needs a holster/gun belt. IMHO.

I pocket carry a S&W 442 daily. Much better for pocket carry IMHO. Ed

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I only wear my SP101 in a IWB Simply Rugged holster. I think it would be hard to pocket carry. I carry the LCR or LCP in my pocket.

RugerHound

Hunter
I personally prefer the SP101 to shoot, but the LCR/LCP became popular because they ARE so easy to carry. The SP would be tough to 'pocket' comfortably I think.

But what do I know? I carry an SR1911 on a belt holster! ;)

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I carry it tucked into my waistband and it carries great. An in the waistband holster would probably be better. Big coat pocket carry in winter works but pants pocket would be questionable. Love the gun though.

6gun

Hunter
I agree my SP101 is just to large and heavy to carry in pants pockets, works OK in a coat pocket but weights you down to one side, it carries best on your waist band with what ever style of holster you perfer, I perfer a paddle holster myself.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
I have a Spurless Sp101 and its way to heavy for pocket carry. I use both a On the belt and IWB when I carry it. But it is a heavy gun. Also over all big for pocket carry. For me anyway

Harvey

Bearcat
Thanks everybody. You have all confirmed what my thinking was. I guess that I was wishfully thinking that I could use the sp101. I plan to purchase an LCR.

pisgah

Buckeye
Personally, while I love the SP101 I find it just barely too big and heavy for everyday pocket carry. It will work in a big-enough pocket, but the various S&W J-frames, including the all-steel Model 36, are just enough smaller/lighter enough to have the advantage.

ronto

Hunter
I beg to differ, I've been carrying the 2 1/4" SP101 in a Mika holster in the front pocket of Levi jeans for years...heavy is a good thing when it comes to the felt recoil of full-house 357 loads...I'm so used to the "weight" that I have to pat my front pocket to be sure I didn't forget to take it.

Thel

Blackhawk
Whether it works or not is dependant upon your size and attire. I am 6' 0" and weigh about 225 lbs. In some of my jeans which do not fit tightly it can be carried due
to the looseness of the garment and size of the pocket. Others, it can't. It is slightly larger in dimensions than a J frame but people have carried 6 shot Colt Det.
Specials in the past which are larger than a J frame, too. Also, some of the J frames such as the Model 60 are only an oz. or 2 lighter than the SP.

Here are cyl. diameters of some guns: SP 1.348", J frame 1.306", K frame 1.446", Ruger 6 Series 1.501", Colt Det. Special 1.40".

Here is a comparison Stephen Camp made of the dimensions:

Ruger SP101 Comparison to S&W J & K-frame Revolvers
Measurement (in.) – Ruger SP101 – S&W K-frame – S&W J-frame
Cylinder Width - 1.349 – 1.47 – 1.34
Frame Width at bbl - 0.744 - 0.823 - 0.697
Top Strap Width - 0.602 - 0.654 - 0.546
Top Strap Thickness - 0.204 - 0.233 - 0.168
Forcing Cone Thickness - 0.086 - 0.086 - 0.066

Source: The Snubnose Files http://www.snubnose.info/docs/sp101-2.htm

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
An SP101 can be pocket carried but it is not easy. Mine will weigh down my pants too much and plain feels odd/uncomfortable. I prefer my LCR for the pocket and SP101 on my belt.

pisgah

Buckeye
RonT said:
I beg to differ, I've been carrying the 2 1/4" SP101 in a Mika holster in the front pocket of Levi jeans for years...heavy is a good thing when it comes to the felt recoil of full-house 357 loads...I'm so used to the "weight" that I have to pat my front pocket to be sure I didn't forget to take it.

That's why I said "Personally..." Clearly, some folks find it perfect for pocket carry, and I congratulate them for it -- they've got a good one. It just doesn't work for me in that role, even after extensive experimentation, and I am not alone.

Fred C Dobbs

Single-Sixer
Seems to me that two different purposes here. I'd get an occasionally shot light weight pocket gun for pocket and just shoot it enough to stay competent. (Also check into an Air Weight Smith) If it isn't comfortable and light, you won't carry it which defeats the purpose.
If I wanted a heavier gun to have some fun at the range with and to holster carry occasionally, I'd go for something like the SP101 or even a three inch fixed gp101 that I'd take to the range and have some fun with because of the shooting comfort. Just my thinking.
I just can't imagine someone regularly shooting a .357 LCR or even a .38 Plus P gun that much with comfort. Like hitting a flag pole with an aluminum bat. But then my hands are having troubles.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I think you will never regret going with the LCR. As others have noted, carrying comfort is highly subjective and varies widely from one individual to the next. But I side with those who find the SP a bit too heavy for pocket carry.

I don't carry a concealed gun often, but when I do, it's usually a S&W model 642. This is an airweight J-frame (just slightly smaller than an SP-101). I think it's about 16 ounces, plus the weight of five .38 special cartridges. In other words, it's about the same size and weight as an LCR. I'm a pretty slender fellow, and my preferred carry location is in the front pocket of my jeans.

A few more points: the 642 has a completely enclosed, internal hammer, like the LCR. This makes it great for pocket carry, as it's completely snag-free. Of course, an SP with a bobbed hammer would be about as smooth. Smith calls this their Centennial frame. The Bodyguard frame is a nice compromise, with rounded "ears" to conceal the hammer spur while still permitting single action operation.

chup

Bearcat
I have carried my SP101 in some pockets but, I normally carry it IWB and carry my LCR357 in my pocket as back up.

Latest posts