Not that I'm sick of single actions but ......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
..... how about a little love for the more hard-to-find, odd or unique DOUBLE action Rugers?

Anybody out there ever see a "D" serial number double action? Or one with an "S" in the serial number?

Single actions had some "star" marked guns too but don't think they ever did that on a double action. :?:

Those "oddities" seem plentiful in the single action world but you hardly ever hear talk of them on double action Rugers.

6y9JqgTh.jpg

street

Hunter
Single Actions had a star stamped on the frame in front of the trigger guard to note that this particular New Model Super Single Six only came with a single .22 LR cylinder. As the New Models came with both cylinders the Star shows that it is a single cylinder gun. As the double action have a fixed cylinder they only come with a fixed non interchangeable cylinder. There would be no reason to stamp a star on the frame. This is the reason that there are no Star stamped Double-Actions.

CraigC

Hawkeye
One relative oddity that I thought about jumping on were the target gray GP's. Don't know if the older half lug 6" blued guns would be considered an oddity but melikey them too.

Ropers%20012b.jpg

I do prefer the Single actions myself, I don't know how rare this full lug 327 Federal is, but this was my only choice for a full length cylinder when I was in the market. Really wish Ruger would run a Bisley in a 6 shot, but till then this 7 shot 327 is the odd double action ruger I own,
140-grn-Sledghammer.jpg

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I have a Security-Six RDA-36 with an "S" in the serial number, and it letters, very rare. I also have the only known SDA-85H that was re-imported back to the USA from Canada with Importer stamp.

The early NYPD guns had a star that was applied by their armorer to the frame,,but that would not count because its not factory. :wink:

There are some very rare prototype -Six's and GP-100's out there also. WMG has at least one -Six that I'm aware of and I have a GP-100. These are a few off the top of my head.

Bottom line,,,keep looking you never know when something undiscovered will turn up. I hope WMG chimes in.

Terry

contender

Ruger Guru
For the OP,, I know it often seems like SA's garner all the attention. I guess it's because many of us are a bit older, and those guns remind us of an earlier time in our lives when things were a lot simpler, and reflects upon the many older westerns where good trumped evil always. If you look at the general collecting & shooting interests of most of us,, the SA's have the largest percentage.

Yet,, the DA's,, they too have a quiet following. And quite often, rarer, oddball, or just plain unique versions do seem to slip out & go un-noticed by many folks. Yet, there are some among us,, who do appreciate AND collect such fine guns. They quietly search, find, & swoon over those oddities,, and rarer ones just as much as those of us who chase the SA's. WMG, quietly has indulged in a passion for them,, and has managed to uncover many very good ones. Then there is Terry T,, who struggles with Ca.'s stupid laws & all but continues to dig up a wonderful collection of the DA's that make even the most ardent SA collector pause & admire in full respect. And then there is RoninPa,,, who as a newer guy here,, who PMed me with discussions on doing a display,,, as a novice collector of the -Six series guns. Having watched him go from a novice displayer to a seriously good advanced collector of them has been nothing but fun. To see & admire the different variations, as well as the odd ones that slip out w/o fanfare in general,, is what it's all about.

So, while it often seems that there is not a lot of love for the DA's,, know that even a diehard SA collector will easily admit to owning several of these good guns,, because he too knows how good they are.

And with the younger crowd of newer shooters & all,, where black & plastic seems to be the rage,, we often get a glimpse of them occasionally shifting their admiration when they are offered a chance to shoot & enjoy an old DA or even a SA. So,, to all, show & enjoy those nice DA's as we DO appreciate them too!

SATCOM

Blackhawk
T.A.WORKMAN

Regarding our Security-Six RDA-36 with an "S" that letters, it letters as a second? Or it letters as a RDA-36? If letters as a second any indication why it is a second?

Thanks.

SATCOM

My very first Ruger Security Six was a fixed sight SDA model with a "S" serial number.

The story goes...When I bought this revolver in 1974(?), my dealer was advertising a large batch of similar revolvers that were sent to gun writers, returned to Ruger, cleaned up, then re-sold by Ruger with the "S" added to the serial number.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
SATCOM said:
T.A.WORKMAN

Regarding our Security-Six RDA-36 with an "S" that letters, it letters as a second? Or it letters as a RDA-36? If letters as a second any indication why it is a second?

Thanks.

SATCOM

It letters as "S" gun,, Serial #150-60372S,,shipped November 1974. No idea how it became a second and as far as I know it is the only RDA-36 "low back" reported as an S gun.

Terry

hittman

Staff member
My "S" double action did letter as such.
I was surprised when a nice lady from Ruger called me to confirm I really meant to ask about the "S" at the end of the serial number.

She told me they didn't know why my gun was marked "S" as they didn't have records stating the reason for return. The story about gun writers returning them sounds logical to me.

My letter states that the "S" for "factory second" is correct and further that the "S" is a corporate designation and not actually part of the serial number as reported to the BATFE.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
So these "s" stamped revolvers aren't rare configurations but rather they are a common configuation with an extra "s" stamped on it?

And the "s" isn't even part of the actual BATF required unique serial number?

So it's not illegal for an owner to stamp their own "s" on their own revolver?

And some folks pay extra for a revolver with the extra "s" on it?

I heard some old Ruger boxes are selling for hundreds of dollars too. The box only, not with the gun in it.....

magnum314

Bearcat
hittman said:
..... how about a little love for the more hard-to-find, odd or unique DOUBLE action Rugers?

Anybody out there ever see a "D" serial number double action? Or one with an "S" in the serial number?

Single actions had some "star" marked guns too but don't think they ever did that on a double action. :?:

Those "oddities" seem plentiful in the single action world but you hardly ever hear talk of them on double action Rugers.

6y9JqgTh.jpg

That's VERY nice!

magnum314

Bearcat
hittman said:

6y9JqgTh.jpg

That's VERY nice!