New SR40c owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

m00se

Bearcat
I got to shoot my new SR40c for the first time this past weekend. I LIKE it! The sights are close out of the box and recoil was much less than I expected. I also shot my cousin's Glock 22C. The SR40c felt like it had less recoil and was not as loud shooting the same ammo.

WayneJessie

Bearcat
m00se said:
I got to shoot my new SR40c for the first time this past weekend. I LIKE it! The sights are close out of the box and recoil was much less than I expected. I also shot my cousin's Glock 22C. The SR40c felt like it had less recoil and was not as loud shooting the same ammo.
My opinion is that Ruger really hit a homerun with the SR line of pistols. For the money they offer alot and are better than some more expensive units.

m00se

Bearcat
I forgot to mention that I also liked the trigger better on my SR40c than the Glock.

My cousin's wife shot both pistols. She did pretty well with the Ruger, but couldn't hit anything with the Glock. :D

Boomerang

Bearcat
This last weekend I also shot the same Ruger as well as Springfields 4" 9mm and 40cal. I bought the Ruger.

jammer

Single-Sixer
mine has no issues with reliability in either the 9 rnd or the 2 15 rounders that came with it. so far.. the 15 rounders are a pain to load the last couple rounds without a loader and need some break in to get them easier to load unload in the gun.. other than that, mine are good to go. chris

flyfishny

Bearcat
Sorry to hijack the thread but to respond to RKBA4CA's question:

I hand load 155 grain SWC for my SR40. I've had one failure to feed in 700 rounds due to a small amount of wax built up on the outside of one case. I do experience leading with the SWC's. I purchase cast bullets from a commercial vendor.

--RC

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Welcome M00se, I'm glad to hear your having a good go round with the 40c. Many have said it has less felt recoil but I can't say that I've had personal experience with either the 22 or 23 Glock. I'd love to try them out though, I think they are great guns as well. The Glock 23 I always thought would be my gun if I ever had a Glock. Maybe I'll rent one on the next trip to the range for comparison. I know they have one there, I've just never grabbed it.

And Boomerang I've never tried the xd if that's the 9mm and .40 cal your talking about. I honestly think they are all probably good guns. But I'm happy with my .40c.

RKBA4CA

Single-Sixer
Received funny 10 round magazines with SR40. Must be a Canadian thing.
I thought they would include 15 rounders pinned to 10 and once our stupid laws changed, I could un-pin them. :evil:

They looked like SR40C mags with an extension, but after visiting ShopRuger.com it seems that these are specifically SR40 10 round mags. What's the point? Instead of making floor plate with a notch blocking mag to 10, they made a special 10 round body. Doh...

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
RKBA4CA said:
I thought they would include 15 rounders pinned to 10 and once our stupid laws changed, I could un-pin them. :evil:

They looked like SR40C mags with an extension, but after visiting ShopRuger.com it seems that these are specifically SR40 10 round mags. What's the point? Instead of making floor plate with a notch blocking mag to 10, they made a special 10 round body. Doh...

I do not know the law in Canada, but the ten round magazines are what we have to have here in the People's Democrat Republic of California. This is the home of Senator-for-Life Diane Feinstein, so what do you expect?

hawkshot

Bearcat
I'm a new to Ruger, and back in the shooting world with the SR40c. I love it. Just getting a few rounds thru it- about 250 rnds thru it already. I purchased a couple extra 15 rnd magazines to make range shooting less about reloading and more shooting. I've shot Remington FMJ thru it and didn't have any failures. Just bought a box of PMC, but didn't shoot them yet.

I had a slightly difficult time finding any 40c in stock, and just happened to get lucky one day and got the display case model from Gander Mtn. It was on sale for $449, and I was thrilled. Just can't seem to decide on a decent case, range bag, or other carry method to get to the range.

Hoping to learn a few things here from the collective

RKBA4CA

Single-Sixer
RedlegM109A1 said:
RKBA4CA said:
I do not know the law in Canada, but the ten round magazines are what we have to have here in the People's Democrat Republic of California. This is the home of Senator-for-Life Diane Feinstein, so what do you expect?

Canadian mag blocking law enforced by federal police is pretty lax in that sense that it allows almost any method of blocking and as long as mag is blocked and requires tools to un-block, it's legal. Thus most semi-autos come with full size blocked mags, like CZ 858 30/5 or Beretta CX4 15/10 mags. The CZ mags I have are riveted along the back side and the Beretta mags have indents along the edge.

Our importation rules, enforced by customs, are different though. They got a wonderful idea that metal of the magazine must match metal of the rivet with the exception of plastic mags where they allow aluminum rivets. Now that's a PITA.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
RKBA4CA said:

My suspicion is that the gun you purchased was originally manufactured and packaged with the intent that it was to be for one sale in one of the states that have legislated a 10 round capacity limit on magazines. I have a good friend that recently purchased an SR9 and it came with two 10 round magazines instead of two 17 round magazines ... but he lives in a state that has no 10 round limit on magazine capacity!! Both the mags appear as you described. With the gun shortage being what it is the dealers are taking anything they can get from anyplace they can find it. So what the customer ends up with is whatever the dealer could find.

RKBA4CA

Single-Sixer
Yeah, that state is called Canada. 10 round limit for s/a handguns and 5 round limit for s/a rifles and shotguns. Just like Kommifornia.
:)
or actually
:evil: