New Scout rifle.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrwickwire

Bearcat
Leucoandro said:
Oh it also appears that the trigger guard/mag well unit might be made by accurate mag as well.

http://www.accurate-mag.com/Bottom_Metals.html

Charlie

I wish it were, but I think the Scout bottom metal is in-house. The ruger website states that it is made from glass reinforced nylon. I am not sure I like that. I wonder how it will hold up to repeated insertion of a metal magazine.

This might be a deal breaker for me. But, it is one fine rifle.

I might buy it in .308 but I would be happier if they would also make a version of "Thumper." As I remember, Cooper liked the .350 Remington Magnum and so do I. But I'll take .358 Winchester! Or one of the new short .338's. Etc. If it is going to have a short barrel then I want a larger caliber.

Gregg

Blut und eisen

Bearcat
Just after reaching the conclusion that I don't need to buy anymore firearms, now this! Why fight it. I will wait until the dust settles along with the price and then pick up a couple.

Blut und eisen

Bearcat
mrwickwire said:
Leucoandro said:
Oh it also appears that the trigger guard/mag well unit might be made by accurate mag as well.

Charlie

I wish it were, but I think the Scout bottom metal is in-house. The ruger website states that it is made from glass reinforced nylon. I am not sure I like that. I wonder how it will hold up to repeated insertion of a metal magazine.

Just read that too. I might have to agree. This just might be one of those instances where I'll hide and watch for a while.

Snake45

Hawkeye
mrwickwire said:
Leucoandro said:

Charlie

I wonder if a standard M77 metal floorplate will bolt on (or better yet, be an available offerring from the factory). Would make this even more attractive to those who don't need/want/care about their "general purpose" rifle doing double-duty as a Main Battle Rifle. :?

mrwickwire

Bearcat
Whatever happens, I think the release of a new factory scout rifle will further invigorate the scout rifle market. You will probably see a lot of sales of other factory scout type rifles, and I think those custom shops will see a lot of scout rifle orders too.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
anybody got a price on this thing yet????
a real world price, not the MSRP.

i have been looking for a bolt action with iron sights for quite a while, especially a quick handling one.
my only other option has been Savage scout...

i do say, i like the way the Ruger looks better but Savage has that Accutrigger.
i am betting the Ruger will have better sights though...
cant wait to get my hands on one

mattsbox99

Hunter
I wouldn't worry much about the bottom plastic having a problem with metal mags, its not like an AR where people would be slamming mags into it all day, nor is it partricularly weak. Pistols have been made of the stuff for a long time now and they don't wear out like that.

mrwickwire

Bearcat
mattsbox99 said:
I wouldn't worry much about the bottom plastic having a problem with metal mags, its not like an AR where people would be slamming mags into it all day, nor is it particularly weak. Pistols have been made of the stuff for a long time now and they don't wear out like that.

Although it is true that plastic pistols have been around a while and there have been no problems, they usually come with plastic mags (coated at least). Plastic on plastic should not be a problem. I am worried about metal on plastic.

However, I do agree with you in that it is not like an AR and I won't be slamming mags into it all day. I hope at least the mag catch is metal.

I will be calling my dealer today.

mrwickwire

Bearcat
I just spoke with someone at Ruger. A few of these rifles have shipped already. The rest should go out next week. I really like how they announce a new product and ship shortly thereafter. Unlike everybody else who does not seem to be able to ship until months if not years after they announce a product.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
mrwickwire said:
I just spoke with someone at Ruger. A few of these rifles have shipped already. The rest should go out next week. I really like how they announce a new product and ship shortly thereafter. Unlike everybody else who does not seem to be able to ship until months if not years after they announce a product.
They learned their lesson with the Gold Label shotgun... :D

I agree with you, though. Nothing worse than getting you all worked up for a product, then having it not available for 6 months.

-- Sam

bronco45

Single-Sixer
I will buy one as soon as they hit the stores. Been waiting for this rifle for a couple of decades. Finally a scout rifle at an affordable price by a reputable manufacturer.

Smokngun

Single-Sixer
My FFL is looking into for me. I am supposed to get a call back tonight. Here is hoping!!!!!

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Looks like a great rifle to me. I may pick one up next year. This looks to be about the best Scout on the market right now. I don't have any use for bipods or that sort of thing so this is perfect for me.

JJ_Miller_480

Bearcat
Well I don't see any reason for anything more than a single shot rifle for anything.....tactical this....hi-cap that.....bah humbug...............JJ

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
For some reason I can't get this gun out of my mind. I don't need one. I don't hunt, and I don't really care for a short barreled .308 at the target range. However, I can't stop thinking about it. Weird. Must be the winter weather.

-- Sam

EVR

Single-Sixer
I want one for when I'm here...

yotehunt2aa.jpg