New Scout rifle.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
The rifles uses a steel ten-round single-column magazine, as is used by Accuracy International and others. it is a very good design. It is not a 20-round mag blocked to ten rounds.

The rifle is easy to handle, balances very well, and is fun to shoot. Most likely will sell for around half the price of the Steyr. The Steyr is a good weapon. I personally do not like the bolt handle on the Steyr, but that is a personal. However, the Ruger is American made, and backed by Ruger service. They perform well, and are already threaded for my Tactical Solutions can!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
W.E.G said:
Has Ruger really imposed another artificial magazine capacity limit on this gun so that a 20-round mag only holds 10 rounds?
W.E.G said:
Looks somewhat different than the photo on the Ruger web site, and definitely different than the HK-looking diagram, but external proportions are close enough to give the benefit of the doubt.

Jeff Quinn said:
The rifles uses a steel ten-round single-column magazine, as is used by Accuracy International and others. it is a very good design. It is not a 20-round mag blocked to ten rounds.

Sometimes it's best to give that benefit of the doubt rather than jumping to conclusions, assuming or "blocking" things from what they really are. ;)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Otony said:
Does anyone else think the receiver sight looks as though it mounts in the scope base cuts? If so, I am in for one, it could be used on ANY Ruger with integral bases.

NECG has been making sights that use the scallop cuts for years.

Vod Kanockers

Bearcat
Well, I have said I would never buy another 308 bolt gun, but I might have lied to myself.
I am a lefty, and having a LH action would be nice, but I can adapt with the use of a scout scope.
The fact it is threaded and will take my 7.2SD can is a huge advantage.....

I will check one out and fondle it first, but at first glance I like it

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Vod Kanockers said:
Well, I have said I would never buy another 308 bolt gun, but I might have lied to myself.
I am a lefty, and having a LH action would be nice, but I can adapt with the use of a scout scope.
The fact it is threaded and will take my 7.2SD can is a huge advantage.....

I will check one out and fondle it first, but at first glance I like it

They tell me that a LH version is on the way for me and you! That is the only thing that kept me from buying the one that I fired at Gunsite.

Jeff

Con

Bearcat
Jeff Quinn said:
The rifles uses a steel ten-round single-column magazine ....

Have the rails been redesigned to make this rifle an inline feeder?
Cheers...
Con

Vod Kanockers

Bearcat
Jeff, if they offer us "correct handed" folks, then I 'spect I will have to have one....that's good news, thanks for the update

Snake45

Hawkeye
I_Like_Pie said:
If the price is right this gun will appeal to all types of people....hunters, police, compound dwellers, ranchers, etc.
You forgot mall ninjas... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snake45

Hawkeye
ian03 said:
6803.jpg
It looks...interesting. :?

It's like the gun equivalent of a jacked-up, hot-rodded, blower-through-the-hood, Cragar-magged, L60-tired, flame-painted...'65 Buick Riviera. :?

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Con said:
Jeff Quinn said:
The rifles uses a steel ten-round single-column magazine ....

Have the rails been redesigned to make this rifle an inline feeder?
Cheers...
Con

It feeds straight from the center. Of all the twenty or so rifles at Gunsite, all fed perfectly, as far as I know. I had no feed issues at all with mine, and heard of none from other shooters.

Jeff

Neat-looking rifle.

Hope a 20-round mag will be offered eventually . . . by somebody.

IMHO it's a travesty that they are calling it the Scout Rifle, but that's just me.

:)

Snake45

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:
This rifle does NOT make the maximum weight of the Scout concept (6.6 lbs with scope), does not appear to have allowance to mount a bipod, does not have a back-up magazine fitted to the stock, and does not have the third sling swivel to mount the Ching Sling, etc.
Great post. A great many guns called "scout rifle" are no such thing. A forward-mounted scope does not a "scout rifle" make (and there is no such thing as a handgun "ghost ring" sight).

I was prepared to jump into this debate on your side, then took a quick look at the specs. It appears to make lengh (1 meter). Ruger calls it 7 pounds, naked. Various "official" scout weights I've seen published include the 6.6 pounds you cite, 7 pounds, and "up to a max of 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds)." Oh, "all accessories included." Does "accessories" include the scope and its rings? If so, and if scoped, this rifle probably isn't going to make it. If the scope weight is excluded from the "accessories," OR if the rifle will be used with irons only (and Cooper stated that a scope wasn't a necessary, defining condition of a scout), then I think it would be close enough to specs to please El Jefe.

A third sling point is no big deal. Bipod, detachable mag, and butt stowage for more ammo are all optional features of a scout, if I understand the concept, not required. Not sure how Cooper would like the mini-flash hider. I suspect he wouldn't.

I don't like the looks of the extended mag, nor understand its need for 99.99 percent of the use this rifle would see, and I think it would interfere with handy carrying. But it's nice to have available, I suppose, and a flush lower-cap mag for everyday use shouldn't be a big deal at all.

Overall, this is one of the more interesting, handsome, and true "scout-ish" rifles I've seen.

I'd like to compare it to Snake's Projekt PMS (Poor Man's Scout), the frankenrifle I created from a horribly bubba-ed No. 5 (Jungle Carbine) Enfield. It hits the scales at 7 pounds exactly and handles, to use a cliche' that I loathe, "like a dream." Its .303 chambering is functionally comparable to .308/7.62, and it too has a 10-round mag (removed for the pic because it too is ugly). Cost: Yard sale bubba Enfield, $75; new (surp) #2 bolt head (the rifle came with none), $25; Used ATI Enfield stock, gun show, $35; Lyman micrometer-click peep sight, came mounted on the bubba rifle, FREE; Sling swivels, Walmart, $7; Sling, spare parts box, FREE; Total $142. Will the new Ruger outshoot Projekt PMS at 200, 300, 400 yards or more? Absolutely, no question about it. But I'll bet I can give it a run for its money on any practical target at 100, and on out to somewhere close to the 200 yard line. :wink:

EnfieldNo502.jpg

Con

Bearcat
Another point ... if Ruger is supplying their regular mounts ... the peep needs to be removed to use the mounts, risking loss of the peep. Or will they be supplying mounts to fit the Weaver style Picatinny?
Cheers...
Con

mattsbox99

Hunter
Good one Snake, why don't you mass produce that and see if it'll sell. I'm sure there are plenty of people that want a beat up clunker, bubba'd 2x, but not me.

Con, I'm not sure which mounts Ruger supplies with the rifle, although I bet its the standard ones and not ones for a picatinny rail. They are pretty easy to find though. I have a JPoint with a pictatinny mount that would work great on the rifle, and at 1 oz, it would be pretty light.

Brad, owning this gun or any other gun isn't about killing people...

Snake45

Hawkeye
mattsbox99 said:
Good one Snake, why don't you mass produce that and see if it'll sell.
If I could find $75 Enfields with Lyman or Redfield peeps already mounted all day long, I have no doubt I could pimp 'em out and turn 'em for $200 at least, how's that for a 30% profit margin? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I know there are lotsa guys like you that won't be satisfied with anything less than the newest and shiniest, even if it costs seven times as much as something that will perform the same function. :wink: Is this a great country or what? :wink: