New battery mount

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I use a Ruger SR-762 (.308) to hunt pigs at night. The best way to hunt them is with a thermal scope, but the batteries in most thermals don't last very long, so many people use an externally mounted larger lithium battery that will last all night. Mounting these batteries can be a bit of a pain, but I discovered the company Dark Night Outdoors that makes a great mount. The old method was to strap it to the stock with stretchy cords. I never like that method. Another way is to mount it directly to the Picatinny rail on the bottom or side. The bottom rail mount gets in the way if you're shooting off a rest (which is most of the time), and the side mount has to be mounted too far forward. Dark Night Outdoors makes the mount shown below. It is called the 90 degree offset mount. It has a quick connect mount for the top rail just under the scope and takes a 90 degree turn to hold it close to the gun. I've taken many feral pigs with the gun, but just got this new mount and will look forward to using it soon.
tempImageplBMo9.png
tempImagebITmRx.png

Last edited:
Looks like a good solution.
Do you have problems getting close enough to the scope with it set that far forward? We had our 'starlight' scopes set much further back on the m-14's.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
Looks like a good solution.
Do you have problems getting close enough to the scope with it set that far forward? We had our 'starlight' scopes set much further back on the m-14's.
It lines up with my eye okay. I suppose I could try moving it back to see how that feels, but then I'd have to sight it in again. The M-14s below have their scopes mounted farther forward than mine, although admittedly, as optical scopes they have longer eye relief than my Trijicon thermal. I wouldn't be able to get it back much farther without removing my rear sight, and I don't want to do that. If I have a scope failure, at least I can detach it with the quick release mount and use the iron sights.

330.jpg
9102d50efcb236cd64cec917f453ceae.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts