New Member Introduction and SR-9 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gryz

Bearcat
Hi all! I'm Gryz from Pennsylvania. Fresh out of college and getting ready for the real world. I've been shooting since I was very young, my grandfather took me hunting and to the range all the time so I am very familiar with rifles and shotguns. When he passed about 4 years ago I inherited his Colt .38 Revolver. It's pretty old but still a lot of fun and that was my first experience with a pistol really.

So now I became interested in buying a semi-auto for the range and protection especially if I end up working in a big city. I decided on the SR-9 and was pleased with all the reviews I read. I took it to the range for the first time and even after a good initial cleaning, it was jamming on every 3 or so shots. It was like it wasn't ejecting the spents quick enough before the bolt came back....it was kind of embarassing.

So I read about possible issues with WWB ammo, the low grain and such which I was using and also a possible limp wrist.

I am hoping the result is due to it being a brand new gun and needing broken in, but just thought I would ask and see if any of you found a pin-point remedy for this issue.

Thanks!

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Gryz,

Clean it really good, including the striker channel (?), hold that baby nice and tight when you fire it next time, and let us know what happens.

Rumor has it that the striker channel/groove is always full of gunk and shavings from Ruger.

REV

Gryz

Bearcat
Thanks for the quick reply Rev! Any chance I could get a pic or description of the striker channel on this? I can field strip it no problem, but not used to the terminology used on semis.

Thanks!

Gryz

Bearcat
Figured it out from the Sticky Tutorials. And yeah, you were right, there was a ton of shaving up there. I cleaned it out and didn't oil it, as I thought I read somewhere not to... But anyway, I hope that solved some of the problem, but either way, it's nice to get those shavings out!

But to oil or not to oil?

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
So I read about possible issues with WWB ammo, the low grain and such which I was using

Thats probably the problem. Its what was causing FTE on my new SR9c. Lock the slide back and leave it like that over night, then run 100 or more 124 gr through it first next time out. 115 gr works fine with 0 ftes now since locking the slide back and using some heavier stuff got things loosened up.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh":2mwcccuw said:
Gizmo42":2mwcccuw said:
So I read about possible issues with WWB ammo, the low grain and such which I was using

Thats probably the problem.

I thought people here swore by the WWB ammo.

I mostly have sworn at it. :lol:

Gizmo is right, maybe not about locking back the slide but is damn sure right about heavier bullets when breaking in a gun.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Texasgunner":2p2xeku9 said:
revhigh":2p2xeku9 said:
Gizmo42":2p2xeku9 said:

Thats probably the problem.

I thought people here swore by the WWB ammo.

I swear by the price 8)
Seriously i've had REAL good luck with it 8)

TG, my problem with WWB has to do with differing powder charges, lot to lot, box to box, sometimes even round to round out of the same box. I've never had a real issue with it firing or even cycling the gun, for the most part but I would think it should shoot about the same all the time and it doesn't.

Gryz

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the replies! So I'll let the slide back tonight and get some heavier grain rounds as well.

Any advice on whether or not to oil the striker chamber which I just cleaned?

raw6464

Bearcat
Gryz":2q32yvv4 said:
Thanks everyone for the replies! So I'll let the slide back tonight and get some heavier grain rounds as well.

Don't oil the striker chamber, it will only collect residue and gum up.

Gryz

Bearcat
Thanks for the help everyone, I hope to get out to the range on Sunday again! I'll let you know what happens then!

john16443

Single-Sixer
Gryz":3m772ae4 said:

Gryz - you may want to follow the advice from Ruger on the cleaning and lubrication of the SR9. Here's a link to their video's

http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html# go to the tech tips tab and scroll down to the SR9 area.

Short answer, YES it should be cleaned and lightly lubed. There is a difference between properly lubing and overlubing. Raw's indication of gunking up would certainly be applicable to over doing it.

John

Gryz

Bearcat
Thanks again, it's all oiled up and ready to go.

I did have a question though regarding the slide stop. Now, I've only fired maybe 50 rounds through it, but is it unusual for the slide stop to be very hard to release when the gun is new?

I can put all my force on that slide stop and no matter what I can't get it to release....I always have to pull back a little on the slide and do it that way....

flyers76

Bearcat
Gryz":1cgwjvbg said:
Thanks again, it's all oiled up and ready to go.

I did have a question though regarding the slide stop. Now, I've only fired maybe 50 rounds through it, but is it unusual for the slide stop to be very hard to release when the gun is new?

I can put all my force on that slide stop and no matter what I can't get it to release....I always have to pull back a little on the slide and do it that way....

Slide stop is very tough until recoil spring breaks in a little. Just keep shooting, should get looser after couple hundred rounds.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
Does the SR9 slide stop work like the one on the compact? With mag in and rounds in it, pull back the slide and its spring loaded to drop down. With the mag in empty its spring loaded to push up and lock the slide. With no mag in it pulls down again when you pull back the slide. I rarely even touch the slide stop on mine.

As far as my last comment on WWB, its not really the brand of ammo I was talking about but the fact it was 115 grain. I had to run some 124 grain through mine for a while to loosen things up a bit before the 115 grain could fully cycle the slide. Now it works perfectly every time with 115 grain.

Gryz

Bearcat
Well put another 90 rounds through it today. 50 147gr with the first ten going flawlessly, but then after that, a jam usually on the last round. I dropped it down to some 124gr and about the same result. Then finished off some 115gr with far less jams than the first time I took it out.

I think as you all say, it just needs broken in. The slide stop is now loosened up and I can finally pull it to bring the slide forward. I hope that the 115 soon shoot with it, as the other ammo here is pretty expensive!