new gun with scratches

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
As most on here know I have a new Mark 4 22/45, shot it today and the accuracy is fantastic, so much so that I may hunt with it. When I went to my cleaning room to clean it I found scratches where they put Ruger Mark IV logo on the side, they can be seen and felt but are very light not deep. It looks like when they made the logo that, they tipped the receiver a couple times because the scratches are across the logo some. The scratches are past the logo about 1/2 inch and they're three of them. Anyone else buy a new gun and find later it has scratches?, I was too excited I guess when I got to look it over good enough. They aren't deep like I said but can be felt slightly with a fingernail. Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Most likely,, as it was being assembled,, the workers trying to hurry got a little too quick & may not have realized they scratched it.
If it were a hard to find, rarer gun,, I'd be more concerned. But as a shooter & field gun,,, I'd not worry a lot.
Oh,, and I've used a Ruger semi-auto .22 for several decades as a hunting gun. Many small critters have felt the sting of a Ruger MK. I have a MKII Competition Target that's a daily companion.
Scratches,, it's got several, and it's a stainless gun!
Enjoy it for what it is!

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
here are the pics

Attachments

• 20220411_220445.jpg
    20220411_220445.jpg
    751.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 20220411_220448.jpg
    20220411_220448.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 20220411_220452.jpg
    20220411_220452.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 224

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I guess if it does bother you, send it back. As Contender said, it's a 'shooter not a looker' and if it were mine I'd be more concerned about the performance than the cosmetics.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I see what you mean.
As I mentioned,, most likely an assembler got in a hurry & did that.

What many folks fail to understand is the fact that nowadays,, with the mass production of huge numbers of guns,, all big makers use "parts assemblers" & NOT gunsmiths, or serious gun people.
I know,, I've visited a few plants.
Many of these parts assemblers have to meet a certain production demand,, and as such,, minor issues are often overlooked,, or heck, not even noticed by some of these people.
So,, as I said,, if it's a shooter & for use,, I'd not worry about it. But look at what Mobuck has said.
Apparently,, it shoots very well. (Not surprising.) Only you can decide if you want a perfect looking handgun & are willing to contact Ruger about it.
Ruger Customer Service is very good. Most likely,, if you did call them, they'd ask you to ship it back. And they'd likely supply a shipping label.
So,, you just need to decide what you prefer.

call them ,send them those same pictures and see just what they say, and offer,,,hard to tell if the scratches are UNDER the bluing or not.....they should repair, fix or replace it, we would have......:cool:;)

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I contacted Ruger, waiting for response. I don't worry about scratches if I do them while using the gun but I have ocd when it comes to something like this from factory or from doing it when not using it. thanks

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I just received an email from Ruger just before they were supposed to close, said the gun would have to be destroyed and replaced with a new one. They will talk with me further tomorrow, so I am happy that they are taking care of it. Do they send a label through the mail or have it picked up? I can't print anything as I don't have a printer but could go to library.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
They send a postage paid label. Recognize they'll have to send the replacement gun to your dealer for registering it since it has a different serial #. Depends on the state you live in, but if there's a waiting period you'll also likely have to wait it out before you can pick it up.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
They send a postage paid label. Recognize they'll have to send the replacement gun to your dealer for registering it since it has a different serial #. Depends on the state you live in, but if there's a waiting period you'll also likely have to wait it out before you can pick it up.
No wait, I live in Kentucky.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Ruger is having UPS pick up at my house because the nearest hub is over 100 miles away from me, I live in a rural area.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
My Ruger Mark IV 22/45 went off today UPS 2nd day air, how long is the wait for a response from Ruger that it's coming back home? thanks

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yep, Ruger has the fastest turn around by far of any gun manufaturers!

What was it sent back for?

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Yep, Ruger has the fastest turn around by far of any gun manufaturers!

What was it sent back for?
Real bad scratches where the Mark IV logo was, I have a post here with pics. I thought at first they were'nt to deep but a cleaning coth will snag and Ruger after seeing them wanted the gun back.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Ruger received it today, got an email a few minutes later. Said they would review the firearm and get back with me asap.