Max 9 first range trip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went to the range today with my new max nine. Ran some range (mm through it, some Corbon 115 +p JHP, and some Liberty 60 grain JHP. The Liberty and range ammo was undiscernible. The +p wow! big difference. My first gun of this size though. I noticed when dry firing the trigger locked up twice. My fault, but in a bad situation no one cares who fault, If I decide to replace the gun I use for carry I plan a trigger upgrade. Also will find a red dot. Any max 9 owners out there?

When you say it was your fault the trigger locked up and it was your fault, what happened and how did you cause it?

I have a Max 9 and this hasn't happened.

How do you think a trigger upgrade would solve the problem? I've seen those different triggers available for the Max 9 and Glocks. Basically those guns with the safety in the trigger. I've wondered about them. If they are an improvement or just something different.

The safety on the trigger would move to one side (my not pulling straight back) and then lock. I called Ruger customer service and was told I was not the first to call about that, but there were no plans to fix the issue. If I decide to carry this I was going to put one of these in it. By Galloway Precision.
1700143695789.png

If the safety is set so it won't catch on the side of the trigger, that would prevent the hang up. My stock trigger's safety sticks out from the trigger the trigger above does noy appear to have that. I have found that while engaging yhe trigger my finger hits the safetey from the side and locks it.

That's interesting. I just got my Max 9 out and I see what you mean.

This hasn't happened to me while shooting, and I have to really press sideways on the trigger to get it to lock. It will lock up though.

More like a hang up. Because if I reset my finger the trigger moves back to its correct position.

This has happened to you while shooting? I wonder what year your Max 9 was made. Bet like I said I really have to put some sideways pressure on mine to get it to happen. Not how I would shoot at all.

Tommyhof

Bearcat
Same here, picked up a Max 9 yesterday and went to the range today. 100+ rounds and no issues. I've seen quite a bit of internet talk and a couple utube where it did hang up. I was concerned about this but again had no issues.

That's interesting. I just got my Max 9 out and I see what you mean.

This hasn't happened to me while shooting, and I have to really press sideways on the trigger to get it to lock. It will lock up though.

More like a hang up. Because if I reset my finger the trigger moves back to its correct position.

This has happened to you while shooting? I wonder what year your Max 9 was made. Bet like I said I really have to put some sideways pressure on mine to get it to happen. Not how I would shoot at all.
Never while shooting. Maybe I am subconsciously more careful of finger placement. I was thinking if it was carry gun and something happening in the rush of the moment if the finger hit like that it would be a real problem.

maxfam

Bearcat
The Ruger MAX 9 trigger is sloppy, the aftermarket Galloway trigger is better. Ruger should have redesign/tighten up their trigger. I installed a Galloway trigger in mine, big improvement, are you listening Ruger?

Same here, picked up a Max 9 yesterday and went to the range today. 100+ rounds and no issues. I've seen quite a bit of internet talk and a couple utube where it did hang up. I was concerned about this but again had no issues.
I just emailed Ruger customer service. I asked if I could get the fix before the problem came up. If not, I will probably look for another carry gun. I have seen videos where the max nine after the fix does quite well.
Also I think I got 2 10 round magazines. They are the same size. How is yours?
Never mind. It was a California gun. Arrrrrgh.

Last edited:
I have a Max9 and really like it. Depending on what I'm doing and or wearing I either carry it or my LCPII everyday. I
I have the Ruger Ready Dot on my Max. So far works fine. When I mention to people that it has a 15 MOA dot they cringe and say that is way too big. Once they try it they change their story. Thats 7.5 MOA at 50 yards, and under 4 MOA at 25 yards. At realistic defense distances, the dot is easy to put on target and fast. No batteries either.

Tommyhof

Bearcat
I just emailed Ruger customer service. I asked if I could get the fix before the problem came up. If not, I will probably look for another carry gun. I have seen videos where the max nine after the fix does quite well.
Also I think I got 2 10 round magazines. They are the same size. How is yours?
Never mind. It was a California gun. Arrrrrgh.
Was/is there a fix? Did ruger respond? I've had no issues with mine, granted I don't like the trigger, might update might not.

Was/is there a fix? Did ruger respond? I've had no issues with mine, granted I don't like the trigger, might update might not.
Sorry, Spoke to customer service they said no fix on the trigger. They said they had heard a few comments but no fix. The mags, no can do. So I bought 2 twelve round mags for $43

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I don't get this. I have had my Max 9 since they first came out and it has been 110%. Not a single malfunction.

After reading this I tried to make the trigger hang up. The only way it would was if I used 2 hands and deliberately pushed it sideways. That's not the way WE hold a gun.

The normal hand hold (1 or 2 hands) simply made the trigger perform as usual.

Certainly, Ruger does NOT need to have a "fix", because nothing is broken. Maybe a firearms training class is in order.

I don't get this. I have had my Max 9 since they first came out and it has been 110%. Not a single malfunction.

After reading this I tried to make the trigger hang up. The only way it would was if I used 2 hands and deliberately pushed it sideways. That's not the way WE hold a gun.

The normal hand hold (1 or 2 hands) simply made the trigger perform as usual.

Certainly, Ruger does NOT need to have a "fix", because nothing is broken. Maybe a firearms training class is in order.
Ruger has heard that complaint before I called. Also, I said my fault. I realized what I was doing. Nothing is broken, a design issue, maybe. I have read of issues with slide locking back while firing. They do have a fix for that. Thank you for relating your good experience. I like the gun and tend to shoot it well. After I put another 200 -300 rounds through it and all goes well it will replace my Smith 908 s as a carry price.

I agree, I had to press sideways as well. Which is not normal when shooting. In fact, this hasn't happened to me when shooting either.

But! I'm now intrigued about a new trigger, if it would feel any different; (better?)

Latest posts