Mark IV- Feeding my new toy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zackary1

Bearcat
Am looking to purchase a new Mark IV Standard Ruger for my next birthday. I have 2 Rugers, a stainless Speed Six and a blue Security Six, both great handguns. Does the Mark IV digest most standatd 22lr ? I'm just going to use it for target shooting/plinking. Thankk you.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Seems the Mark IV like many .22lr semi auto handguns can be a little finicky with ammo. Look on the popular Rimfire forum, here, and elsewhere for discussion.

My MK III Target had very little issue with a variety of ammo--it was real shooter. But I sold that a long while back. My MK IV Hunter 5.5 blued has had issues. Mostly extraction of spent round issues. Now maybe I have not shot it enough yet. Still under 1000rds. Last time at the range, I only used CCI Mini Mags round nose. Had a few extraction issues with two magazines. Continued to use just these two magazines the rest of the firing session. Towards the end of the session I had no issues. I have installed a new extractor and I have tuned up 1/2 of my magazines. Of the two magazines used that I had issues one was tuned, one was not. Next range trip I'll be using the CCI's again. Will likely sand all edges of remaining un tuned magazines to deburr-smooth edges, including the follower channel.

Use cleaner more quality ammo for better performance is what I hear all the time.

More than likely it will shoot just about every brand of 22 ammo. But you will notice some brands are more accurate than others.

I'm not sure how experienced you are with guns, but I always have fun with different rimfire pistols and different brands of ammo and try to find the perfect combination.

It isn't easy, and then when you factor in weather, if you shoot outdoors, it becomes even more challenging.

Good luck!

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
I just bought a MKIV 22/45 but have not had it out yet. Hoping for tomorrow. My MK11 and MKIII 22/45 loved Federal Champion 40gr. Never an issue. I have one brick left of that and this past weekend could not find any at my LGS or Bass Pro or Sportsmans....they did have tons of Federal Auto Match 40gr. I've never used it but picked up a box to try. If it works like the Fed Champion I will load up. MK series pistols are fun but can be finicky. Mine never did well with anything Remington or Winchester. Fed and CCI no problem. Fed was the cheapest of all though.

My various 2 & 3 series 22/45's show very little favoritism ammo wise. We shoot a lot of Federal Auto Match, Federal HVHP, BLAZER, and Aguila HV w/o much difference in function or accuracy.
Even some ancient Remington white box CMP target ammo works most of the time.

redfernclan

Bearcat
I got a MK 4 stainless hunter last year. Kind of disappointed the first few hundred rounds. Turned to the forum experts and someone pointed me to a U tube video about tunning up the magazines. Basically deburring, sanding and polishing. Takes a little while but I have now put about 1000 through the gun with no issues. Definity worth the time.

Carver Speed

Bearcat
I got a MK 4 stainless hunter last year. Kind of disappointed the first few hundred rounds. Turned to the forum experts and someone pointed me to a U tube video about tunning up the magazines. Basically deburring, sanding and polishing. Takes a little while but I have now put about 1000 through the gun with no issues. Definity worth the time.
Same gun, same problem, thank you for the information, I'm off to YouTube to learn about Mags.

Haven't seen any real issues, use a lot of different ammo, bought back before the covid depression. I have had some issues with the Remington golden so only use them in revolvers. Best shooting was from CCI and Federal target.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
My Mark IVs love CCI Blazer. They just work amazingly well and are very accurate. I also shoot Norma Tac 22, CCI SV and Mini Mags depending on the weather. In winter I use the Mini Mags.

Tac 22s are self lubricating. There is so much lube on them that you don't have to put any oils on the gun, or at least I don't throughout a Steel Challenge match. When it's cold though Mini Maggs fill my bag.

It just doesn't seem to matter what I feed it so buy the cheap Blazers and be happy.

Last edited:
For "reliable" general purpose and accuracy, CCI Mini Mag for the win. IMHO of course ;)

C3F38F6A-89B8-40F5-A240-1936B1F0C502.jpeg

RSIno1

Hunter
Each gun seem they prefer a different diet. My Standard will eat anything with a jam every 100 or so on cheapo Thunderbolts. A friends MK2 won't go through 1 mag of them without a jam. Buy a box of each and see what it likes best. You'll also want to break it in with a few hundred rounds before you get too frustrated with any problems.

Each gun seem they prefer a different diet. My Standard will eat anything with a jam every 100 or so on cheapo Thunderbolts. A friends MK2 won't go through 1 mag of them without a jam. Buy a box of each and see what it likes best. You'll also want to break it in with a few hundred rounds before you get too frustrated with any problems.
Most my early Standards will pretty much eat anything as well.

Am looking to purchase a new Mark IV Standard Ruger for my next birthday. I have 2 Rugers, a stainless Speed Six and a blue Security Six, both great handguns. Does the Mark IV digest most standatd 22lr ? I'm just going to use it for target shooting/plinking. Thankk you.
I have a target version and it likes everything I feed her!