Shot my Ruger Mark IV for the first time today... My thumb bled like a stuck pig!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Maybe I'm just not holding them right, but with both my Mk II (35 years of use) and Mk IV (bought last year, no problems), my thumbs are nowhere near any moving part - they're near the trigger guard. The web of my hand is covered by the top back of the frame, above which the bolt cycles.

I hold some revolvers with my left thumb crossed over and behind the web of my right hand - if I were to do that with a semiauto, I'd get bit.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
SCWfpJv.jpg
Would You Like To Sell That ????

RUT

Single-Sixer
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Bad grip did the damage. I must have placed my left thumb over my right hand behind the bolt. When the bolt flew back it passed over my thumb and on its return journey it pulled the edge of my thumb in. I don't remember it hurting, just the blood.

After reading this thread. Most questions have been answered. But I don't see if the OP said what model Ruger Mark IV?

Not that it matters, just curious. And I agree with the above, someone said 3 jams out of 120 is pretty good for a rimfire. I would bet it's ammo related too, not the gun.

My thumbs mostly take a beating when loading the magazines. I have a couple of those loaders, but if I forget to bring them to the range, sometimes just a piece of duct tape folded over can help move the mag button down to help load. The tape saves my thumb at least.

I'm guessing you had the left thumb over the right one gripping the gun.....don't do that with autoloaders, they'll bite.
Took some family members to the range, sister-in-law decides to shoot her son's 9mm, he was supposed to be coaching her,
I saw her grip the gun with her thumb in that position and yelled at her to STOP!....nope. Fired, dropped the gun and made some
yowling noise, then went to get 5 stitches in the back of her thumb. My wife asked her why she shot after I yelled to stop....
" I never listen to him".
Second story , my brother-in -law went shooting with me, decides to shoot my .357 Security Six. Puts his left off hand finger pointing
straight ahead sticking out past the cylinder gap.....had a really nice burn and a bit of blood. At least he didn't drop the gun while cursing.
I was full of sympathy for him , asking what 10 plus years in the Marine Corps taught him about guns.

Garth69

Single-Sixer
Get a magazine loader and say goodbye to bloody thumbs.
The plastic loaders are inexpensive and will last about forever.
And, it is magazines, not clips.'

Enjoy your new Ruger they are great pistols.
I get so annoyed with people referring to magazines as clips......I guess I'm too critical.

Went to the range today. Shot 140 rounds, without any bolt injuries! What also makes me happy is there were no misfires. The first time out, I had 3. I hope it is the gun breaking in. All rounds this time and last were from the same purchase.

The hole in my thumb is almost a week old. Damn thing still looks about the same as a week ago but it finally stopped weeping blood. It sucks to get old. Everything heals slowly.

Maybe I'm just not holding them right, but with both my Mk II (35 years of use) and Mk IV (bought last year, no problems), my thumbs are nowhere near any moving part - they're near the trigger guard. The web of my hand is covered by the top back of the frame, above which the bolt cycles.

I hold some revolvers with my left thumb crossed over and behind the web of my right hand - if I were to do that with a semiauto, I'd get bit.
My prior experience with pistols has been 100% with revolvers. I think that is where I got the bad hand hold for the Mark IV. In any case, I have put a lot of rounds through the Mark IV, and other than the early lesson I learned, I have been laceration free!!!! My hand hold now naturally falls into a proper place with the gun.

Latest posts