Make racking slide easier?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I have a bone to pick with you guys LOL…………
After your comments and I had nothing going on I went ahead and changed it again to the one piece.
I do like it much better. The other way was easier.

It came out good accept for that line up 1/2 round hole on the slide for the slide release when you are taking it apart or putting it back together. It's just a hair big and not worth redoing it again.
The S/N side gave me a hard time when I cut around the ejection port a hair to low so I remade that piece. I used the one I cut to low and just moved that part up not even a 1/8". Getting in a hurry which usually ends up taking more time when you screw it up and have to redo it.
That's it I'm done messing with it.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
Keep a close eye on the gun from time to time. I put grip tape on the grip areas of my competition guns... sometimes the glue walks out from under the tape or the tape itself starts to move. What I would be most concerned about with how much you put on your slide is that you might have issues with function if / when it starts to drift.

The reality is that you really only need a dime sized circle in the back area of the slide where the serrations are located. When you have tiny guns like this one, you have to be careful how you place your hand when racking the slide. You want to keep it well away from the ejection port because this can cause malfunctions / double feeds if the brass or round gets caught when manipulating the slide. Not something you want.

Practice drawing from that holster. As I mentioned earlier, that grip tape is going to grab hold of the inside of the holster. Add some tension from the inside of your pocket and I'd be concerned that it wouldn't draw when you need it... or the holster would come out of the pocket along with the gun.

daka

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk
Nice job, you know you can make yourself crazy with this stuff.....OK, good enough ... or is it <vbg>
I'm just going to make a small area to grab....
This is going on a gun, or 2, that never get holstered...range guns..I don't have a problem with the LCP...besides it only gets fired about every month or so just to keep it going...

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
tacticalreload said:
Keep a close eye on the gun from time to time. I put grip tape on the grip areas of my competition guns... sometimes the glue walks out from under the tape or the tape itself starts to move. What I would be most concerned about with how much you put on your slide is that you might have issues with function if / when it starts to drift.

The reality is that you really only need a dime sized circle in the back area of the slide where the serrations are located. When you have tiny guns like this one, you have to be careful how you place your hand when racking the slide. You want to keep it well away from the ejection port because this can cause malfunctions / double feeds if the brass or round gets caught when manipulating the slide. Not something you want.

Practice drawing from that holster. As I mentioned earlier, that grip tape is going to grab hold of the inside of the holster. Add some tension from the inside of your pocket and I'd be concerned that it wouldn't draw when you need it... or the holster would come out of the pocket along with the gun.

I appreciate your concern and knowledge with this grip tape. I will definitely watch it now that you brought it to my attention about the glue walking out and the tape moving. I started as I posted just putting a piece on the front side of the slide and one on the rear side of the slide. Then as other's mentioned it would look better with one piece that's how I got this far.
You also brought up a good point about drawing it in that wallet holster and the whole thing comes out because the tape held it in the holster.

It gave me something to do and it won't be hard to remove so I'll watch it as you suggested and take it from there.
Thanks.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
daka said:
Ruger Redhawk
Nice job, you know you can make yourself crazy with this stuff.....OK, good enough ... or is it <vbg>
I'm just going to make a small area to grab....
This is going on a gun, or 2, that never get holstered...range guns..I don't have a problem with the LCP...besides it only gets fired about every month or so just to keep it going...

Thanks and I have to agree you can let stuff drive you crazy. For me it's just a short walk, it's almost like an obsession now LOL.
Last night the wife went to bed and I went down in the basement and redid it again, that's it there won't be another change made. I know I said that before. If it doesn't work out after what tacticalreload brought to my attention I'll take it back off.

As I said I redid it for the last time. That half hole for lining up the slide release for taking it down bugged me that ragged hole. Then there was a bare spot by the extraction port. I took care of that too!

tacticalreload

Bearcat
As I mentioned, I probably wouldn't have gone to this extent personally, but I certainly do appreciate the fact that there are other people out there who are just as OCD as I am when it comes to guns. Good job lining up the holes. :)

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
tacticalreload said:
As I mentioned, I probably wouldn't have gone to this extent personally, but I certainly do appreciate the fact that there are other people out there who are just as OCD as I am when it comes to guns. Good job lining up the holes. :)

Thanks, I really hadn't planned on getting this involved in it. Being disabled I have plenty of time to piddle with stuff and actually enjoy doing it.
I really do appreciate you bringing up about the tape possibilities to my attention. I put this same tape on my early LCP months ago. It hasn't been carried very much but that tape hasn't moved any I'm aware of. One thing about it I can take it off allot faster then it went on. I am very particular about my guns, you get that way after messing with them for almost 45 yrs.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
daka said:
it's like an ongoing project...but you must have the time to do it, right?

That's my problem I have to much time on my hands. I got busted up almost 45 yrs ago in a motorcycle wreck and getting worse off as time goes on. The last year has been very hard on me. I can't take a step without using a cane or something I can hold on to.

I like having things I can do without being on my feet very long.
As far as doing anymore to this Sig that's as far as it's going putting the grip tape on it. I bet all total I have probably 6 hrs. or more doing it then going back and changing it. It gets time consuming if you want to do it right and make a neat job of it.
If you have any questions just ask. Make sure you have plenty of razor blades that Grip Tape is hard on them.

Tacticalreload has me wondering if I wasted allot of time for nothing. If it becomes a safety issue the grip tape goes. Safety first!

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
GunnyGene said:
daka said:
Is there any way to make the slide easier to rack, my wife likes my LCP but can't rack the slide

It's as much a matter of technique as hand/finger strength. See this: http://thewellarmedwoman.com/women-and-guns/shooting-techniques-and-handling/racking-the-slide-of-your-gun
The title of the thread got me to wondering why I rack a slide the way I do. (I'm a lefty). I tried the proper method as shown and then I remembered! I can't seem to quite release the slide fast enough to pull my hand away and it pinches the #$@& out of the skin on my right hand between the palm and web just at the junction of my thumb as the slide slams forward! Ahh well, another blood blister but this too shall heal! Try it left handed then maybe you'll see :twisted: On second thought, don't!!!!!!!!!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Colonel Daddy said:
GunnyGene said:
daka said:
Is there any way to make the slide easier to rack, my wife likes my LCP but can't rack the slide

It's as much a matter of technique as hand/finger strength. See this: http://thewellarmedwoman.com/women-and-guns/shooting-techniques-and-handling/racking-the-slide-of-your-gun
The title of the thread got me to wondering why I rack a slide the way I do. (I'm a lefty). I tried the proper method as shown and then I remembered! I can't seem to quite release the slide fast enough to pull my hand away and it pinches the #$@& out of the skin on my right hand between the palm and web just at the junction of my thumb as the slide slams forward! Ahh well, another blood blister but this too shall heal! Try it left handed then maybe you'll see :twisted: On second thought, don't!!!!!!!!!

If they keep making the recoil springs stronger, pretty soon you'll need a winch to rack the slide. I don't recall the GI 1911's having as hard a pull as even the common 9mm pistols that everyone has these days. I know I didn't have any trouble with a 1911 when I was 12yo or so.

oldlamehand

Bearcat
I have LCP Custom about 2 months. I feel racking the slide is smoehow hard sometimes. It is usually no problem for me if my hands aren't sweaty and slippery.
Racking the slide on my Glock 26 is easier for me. I don't think the spring resistance is stronger on LCP custom than on G26, but such a smal slide as on LCP is much harder to grip and hold firmly.
My wife struggles with LPC Custom slide.
Is it normal for LCP Custom that the slide "clicks" after aproximatelly 0.4 inch and it is possible to feel some kind of bigger resistance at this point or it is a manufacturing defect?
I have fired about 100 rounds from my LCP so far and this behaviour has not changed.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
daka said:

daka,
I have read all the answers to your post, and I would suggest the Ruger LCRx loaded with Ruger ARX ammo.
The revolver has an exposed hammer and with the ARX ammo the recoil should be manageable
for her. I have an LCP and it is a booger to rack. All smaller semi autos are that way, unless it is a .22 or
.22 Magnum. And unless a person is a top shot, a .22 is useless. You will just make them mad.
Blackie

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Ruger Redhawk said:
tacticalreload said:

I appreciate your concern and knowledge with this grip tape. I will definitely watch it now that you brought it to my attention about the glue walking out and the tape moving. I started as I posted just putting a piece on the front side of the slide and one on the rear side of the slide. Then as other's mentioned it would look better with one piece that's how I got this far.
You also brought up a good point about drawing it in that wallet holster and the whole thing comes out because the tape held it in the holster.

It gave me something to do and it won't be hard to remove so I'll watch it as you suggested and take it from there.
Thanks.

Redhawk,
I do not use a holster for my LCP, it is my backup. I cut a smooth piece of leather in the shape of
my back pocket on my Levi's and keep the rough side to the material in the pocket. No holster to worry
with being stuck and no printing. My Gramp taught me that trick.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
SR1911SHOOTER said:
Ruger Redhawk said:
tacticalreload said:

Thanks.

Redhawk,
I do not use a holster for my LCP, it is my backup. I cut a smooth piece of leather in the shape of
my back pocket on my Levi's and keep the rough side to the material in the pocket. No holster to worry

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have a couple of the Talon wallet holsters and I haven't had any problem drawing or removing the guns from them. I might carry a standard LCP without a holster but no way I'd try it with the new LCPII's.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
SR1911SHOOTER said:
Redhawk,

I would caution anyone who carries something with a lighter trigger pull (less than the standard 10+ pound traditional DA) in a pocket without something covering the trigger guard. It might be unlikely to cause a problem, but I always carry in a holster made of relatively stiff material when carrying in a pocket. This is even more important, IMO, with the LCP II.

coach

Hunter
The cornered cat tutorial has some good info. A little training in a women's only class would go a long way I bet. Look at any non-blowback action guns. The springs are typically lighter.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Update!
As much as I like that grip tape on my Sig P 238 not to mention the time I spent doing it I decided to take it off a few weeks ago. I saved it for a pattern just in case I decide to want it back on again. I didn't have a problem with it moving but as tacticalreload said it will make it harder to draw and be rough on the holster. I guess bottom line I just got tired of it. I left the couple pieces of grip tape on my Custom LCP but that usually stays home.

One of these days I'm probably going to take that Nitron black coated slide and glass bead blast it. I hit the edges of this P-238's slide with some 320 wet or dry paper. I G.B. Blasted the nose of the slide. It looks pretty nice at least I like it. The thumb safety and the slide release was showing holster wear already. I polished the high point of the slide release and removed the black from the thumb safety.

It's a carry gun and that's what I bought it for. It's going to show use and wear over time. It came out real good and it broke up the solid dull black finish. The pictures really don't show it as well as it looks in person. I know I have to much time on my hands.