Lever Gun - Decisions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
I believe my "new" favorite lever is the Turnbull 50-110 I had built. Took a Browning 71 and had DT convert it to 50-110 Winchester, 22" oct. barrel, full mag tube and add checkering. They did a great job.

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
I've had my Win 94 30 Gun since 1954/55, WWII years vintage gave to me by my grandpa... never saw a need to replace or upgrade it. It did it all on the ranch back in those days - all vermin, all predators, all big game up to elk. Even shot cook pot fodder with it sometimes - pine hens and sharptail, cottontails and snowshoes, etc by just creasing or spot on the head.

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
2012-05-11_15-45-08_947_Harry.jpg

Unless you just don't like the Marlin, that'd be my first choice. I found a 1982 1894c 357 with Williams Fire sights for cheap cheap cheap. It's a hoot to shoot with 38's

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I used to have a stainless Rossi in .44 mag. I loved it. I only sold it because a buddy needed it for bear defense (in AK). I would get a Rossi again .44 mag, or .357 if that is what I liked. I would not exclude a Marlin or Henry though. Pick them up and hold them and see which one you like and then buy it. Not that hard of a recipe really.

Major T

Blackhawk
My .357 Cowboy is a bit heavy, but I like it anyway. The regular models are trimmer, but new is shoddy, and the older CT made ones are getting pricey.

There are several companies importing 92 clones of differing fit and finish. Some of the better ones seem to be from Navy Arms.

Or you could search out a Browning 92 and drop from $1000 up for it.

Unfortunately, for those of us on fixed retirement funds, the dollar is just not worth much!

Best wishes, jack

6gun

Hunter
Hugh said:
Because my favorite cartridge is .357 Magnum I have been holding out for a .357 lever gun. Maybe I should just go for a Winchester 94 .30-30. Haven't seen a .357 lever gun I really like, or want to shell out the bucks for, and am not getting any younger. Just haven't wanted to start with a new caliber.

Decisions.
I would go with a Winchester 94 357 mag. if you can find one been looking for one myself for some time now, one other option would be a Henrys 357 mag. if you don't mind loading the tube like a old 22.

single action

Single-Sixer
I have a problem deciding on what caliber in lever guns myself so over the years I have picked up Savage 99 in 300 and .22 H.P. Winchester 94 in 30-30, 25-35, 375 Big Bore, Winchester 64 in .32 special, Winchester 95 in .405, My first lever a Marlin 30-30 model 336 and of course sundry number ones which are kinda lever actions, just brought home a Winchester 92 in .45 colt with a ladder tang sight. But the one that has brought home the most venison is the Marlin in 30-30 it cannot be beat. Yup deciding is tough, have not done well at making one decision. I believe I have a monkey on my back....sa love dem old levers....

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I had 2 .357 lever actions but had to get rid of one. I couldn't decide which one to keep so this is the one I kept based on the prices I was offered. The other was a Henry Bigboy which I liked a lot too. I shoot this one for CAS and it does great with the .38 specials.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php