Lever Gun - Decisions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hugh

Buckeye
Because my favorite cartridge is .357 Magnum I have been holding out for a .357 lever gun. Maybe I should just go for a Winchester 94 .30-30. Haven't seen a .357 lever gun I really like, or want to shell out the bucks for, and am not getting any younger. Just haven't wanted to start with a new caliber.

Decisions.

Hugh

Buckeye
Thanks. The Model 92 is what I have seen the most of. I keep looking in local gun shows and my favorite pawn shop. So far no joy. It does have a nice feel/weight, and one jumps out at me locally it's going home with me.

Otony

Blackhawk
Buckeye Bill said:
I have held these and for the price, they seem like a nice rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=322136546

I have one of those and it is delightful. My only gripe is that the wood is pretty much orange, :shock: Not a huge problem, I will eventually pull the stocks and refinish with a nice, brown stain. One thing to be careful about with the Rossi carbines is the forend. I understand it can be a bugger to get off.

I also have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy .357 with a 20" octagon barrel. It is a nicer gun in many ways than the Rossi, but at the expense of quite a bit more weight. Not as handy, but then very few rifles are as handy as a 16" barreled 1892!

Kanook

Buckeye
I''ve got a early Rossi, pre safety, that is very accurate. I will admit though that my 77/357 is just as accurate, easier to scope, but that's a bolt, and you didn't ask about that.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The Rossi's are the least expensive way to go and they are usually readily available, different barrel lengths, levers,and blue or SS. I'm not real keen on the safety system on the Rossi, at least appearance wise. I have one of the few current production Winchester saddle ring carbines with the tang safety and 20" barrel. They made the trapper and large loop lever guns, but they are all hard to find. Bob! :)

pisgah

Buckeye
If you can find a Rossi with the Hartford brand, they seem to me to be a bit slicker than the run-of-the-mill. Mine, a 24"(octagonal barrel) rifle in .45 Colt, is as smooth-running, good-looking, and accurate a levergun as you could reasonably expect to find from any manufacurer. The only things changed on mine -- I got a steel mag follower to replace the plastic it came with and a bolt safety plug, both from Steve's Gunz and both quality items.

Iceaxe

Bearcat
How about a Henry Big Boy in .357?

I have the H001 which is a lever .22
Not sure i can make any direct comparison for you but as for my little Henry:

The action is as smooth as silk. Almost seems like there aren't any moving parts inside.
Took mine apart once for a detail cleaning (despite their recommendation against it) and found it to be solidly built.

I am very tempted to get a "pistol" caliber Henry rifle myself.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have quite a few leverguns in pistol caliber cartridges but was never quite satisfied with accuracy or range, so I got a Marlin in 30-30 and I am now as pleased as punch. The 30-30 is not a high-powered cartridge but is definitely a step up from the 357/44mag in both accuracy and range. It is a little harder to reload because of the bottle-neck shape but not any worse than going to the next logical step in reloading. :D :D

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Hugh said:
Because my favorite cartridge is .357 Magnum I have been holding out for a .357 lever gun. Maybe I should just go for a Winchester 94 .30-30. Haven't seen a .357 lever gun I really like, or want to shell out the bucks for, and am not getting any younger. Just haven't wanted to start with a new caliber.

Decisions.

I'd take it that not liking what was offered in 357 means Marlin? I agree with respect to the new Marlins made by Remington, they're poorly executed. If that's what fueled your decision perhaps an older Marlin is worthwhile? I have a few and they are much, much better made than the new ones. Still, as much as I like them a rifle using a pistol cartridge is a little underwhelming. Aside from my Ruger 96 and Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt there doesn't seem to be a whole long of bang coming out of the barrel.

The Henrys are very well made and a great choice in 357 Magnum, the Rossi/Taurus line of 92s are OK too. There are other rifles and calibers out there though. The Ruger 96 in 44 Magnum is very neat and handy. If you can find a Winchester 88 they use a detach magazine and can be had in 308 - prices on 88s are pretty good and they're not hard to find. The 35 Remington is not all that popular, but it's a great caliber.

A Winchester in 30.30 WCF is hard to beat.

ar15ed

Single-Sixer
i agree! the 30-30 is a very old and often overlooked (at least in modern times!) cartridge. i like 'em! every growing lad needs a winchester 30-30!

nekvermont

Buckeye
When I think lever action I think Winchester. One of my Winchesters is a model 94 30-30 that was my grandfathers and just happens to of been manufactured in the same year I was born, 1955. I think a pre 1964 winchester 30-30 can be picked up for around $500 and to me is a wonderful old gun with some history and something that can be passed down the family line with pride. Good luck in your quest.

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
I really like my lever action Savage 99 in 300 Savage. You can load it close to 30-30 and upto 30-06. Only problem is getting brass, they only makes it once a year.

Coop

Blackhawk
In 1995 my wife, Annie, and I started off competing in CAS matches each with our own NIB 16" barrel .357Mag/.38Special Winchester Model 94 AE Lever guns. Holds 9 shots of .357 Mag and both function very well with .357 cartridges. However, with .38Special, FORGET IT!! Great plinking/truck type guns, and very sturdy.

They have been pretty much idle the last several years as we now both shoot Uberti rifles in CAS.

Coop

pisgah

Buckeye
>Still, as much as I like them a rifle using a pistol cartridge is a little underwhelming. Aside from my Ruger 96 and >Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt there doesn't seem to be a whole long of bang coming out of the barrel.

Don't be deceived -- there are .357 loads that come close to the .35 Remington in a rifle, as wacky as that may sound at first blush -- and they aren't wacky loads, either.

There are plenty of choices for .357, .44, or .30-30 in lever guns. Although the .357 and .44 guns are handy, accurate, and maybe even novel, do not discount the old .30-30. In spite of its age, it is still a very useful but under-rated cartridge. The .30-30 is also a reloaders dream.

I very much appreciate the revolver-cartridge lever guns, but with all of the lever guns that have passed in-and-out of my gun safe, I'm never without a .30-30.

WAYNO.

gatling

Blackhawk
I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag and another 1894 in .38 Special. The .38 is a bit special (pardon the pun) so it will probably never be fired (at least by me). The .44 is awesome and I shoot it a lot. Mine was made in the 1970s and it is a lot of fun to shoot. I think if you find a clean used Marlin (not one of the newer ones) you would be very happy with it.

431356_10150617722901801_1642778577_n.jpg