Marlin (Remlin made in 2019) 1894 CS, .357/38 lever gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Just picked up this Marlin 1894 CS, .357/.38 yesterday. This carbine was made in March of 2019 and was one of the last of the Remington Marlins. It only had about 10 rounds through it according to the dealer. I just bought one of the new Ruger/Marlin 1894 .44Mag carbines and when I first looked at it I thought it was one of the long awaited .357/38 models from them.

Even though it was one of the infamous "RemLins", I bought it anyway and took it home. The action was very smooth and when I got it home, I found that A-Zoom snap caps fed very smoothly also. This gun came with the original box and papers and looks almost unfired.

I may not keep this one since I already have 4 .357/.38 lever action carbines ( Marline 1894 CS, Chiappa trapper SRC, Winchester/Miroku model 73, and a Rossi model 92).

Trooper Joe

It looks nice, I remember seeing some of the Remington Marlins on gun shop shelfs. I handled only one but the fit and finish was really bad. I don't recall cycling the action. I do recall I would NEVER buy one if that was what passed inspection at the time.

hittman

Staff member
Nice one!
I've still never owned a lever action but if I were gonna get one ….. that looks like the ticket.
Prefer 41 Mag but 357 be a good choice too!

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I also purchased a late production Remlin( 336C). I took a chance and did very well. Fit, finish and function is very good. The action was a little crunchy but I lubed it and worked the action for a couple hours sitting watching the tube over a couple days. It loosened up very nicely. It shoots as good as can be given older eyes and buckhorn sights.

jgt

Buckeye
I bought one made by Remington for my sister-in-law. It had been a demo model. It was nice. The only negative I found was razor sharp edges of the receiver and a trigger that was about nine pounds. I did a fluff & buff inside and found the machining much smoother than my Marlin. I got the trigger sear down to a crisp five pounds and called it good because of it going to an inexperienced shooter. I didn't try for any less because it was good enough for hunting and home protection. When I sighted it in, it only took a minor adjustment of the rear sight to get it to shoot to point of aim.

For you guys that want a smooth action in your Marlins. There are several videos on youtube from the SASS guys that show you how to get a REALLY smooth action with very little work. They will also show you what to do to keep from getting the Marlin Jam due to the lifter
Marlins have very stiff actions, but it can be fixed. I shoot SASS and have Marlins from 45-70 to 22 and they are all VERY smooth. Same goes for my Henry, 66s and 73.

1693585042130.png

1693585066530.png

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Just came back from the range. This one is a keeper (I can now boast 5 .357/.38 lever guns). One ragged hole with .357 or .38 at 30 feet. The trigger really is smoothing out (especially after about 100 dry fires this morning). Showed this to my local dealer today. He says these are about a $1,200 gun. I got it for $1,150.

My last three "JM" Marlins all had issues. This one seems flawless.

Trooper Joe

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Got to fire a Remlin made one in 44 magnum 2 years back. Did feed and eject OK. Just overall finish not so great. Heard the newest from Ruger in 44 magnum has hit the dealers and fit and finish are great including the wood. Price is steep but expected that. Prefer an 1894 over the 336 even.

Revolver caliber lever action carbines are 'fun guns' with a moderate level of useful capability. I have a matched pair of Win 94 'Trappers' (357 & 44) that I bought for a customer who decided he couldn't afford later. Used but not abused, I took the 44 deer hunting and it worked fine. Not sure if I've ever fired the 357. They'll make attractive additions to my estate sale I suppose.

Just came back from the range. This one is a keeper (I can now boast 5 .357/.38 lever guns). One ragged hole with .357 or .38 at 30 feet. The trigger really is smoothing out (especially after about 100 dry fires this morning). Showed this to my local dealer today. He says these are about a $1,200 gun. I got it for $1,150.

My last three "JM" Marlins all had issues. This one seems flawless.

Trooper Joe

That's the dirty little secret no one talks about. Lots of later model JM's weren't quite up to speed. I used to be on the Marlin Forum but got tired of the complaining. Truth is many of the old machines were wore out. Remington didn't get a prize when they bought the company. The old employees had to make up for the short work of the machines. Employees kept things going, but employees were getting old. Guessing that's the real reason JM sold.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
That's the dirty little secret no one talks about. Lots of later model JM's weren't quite up to speed. I used to be on the Marlin Forum but got tired of the complaining. Truth is many of the old machines were wore out. Remington didn't get a prize when they bought the company. The old employees had to make up for the short work of the machines. Employees kept things going, but employees were getting old. Guessing that's the real reason JM sold.
I said that three months ago in this topic.