Ruger Red Label 28GA-New Upland Bird Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

After a short search I found a Ruger Red Label 28Ga and it came with a Brand New Set of Briley Original Ruger Red Label 410 Bore 28" Tubes.

Stoked for this to be my second Ruger and my primary upland hunting O/U. While it is in mint condition and I plan to keep it that way, it will be hunted. No Safe Queen here.

Couple of my other 28Ga shotguns just because.

Attachments

• IMG_5518.jpeg
    IMG_5518.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 84
Sub-gauges, especially the .410, always intrigued me. I've owned a few, but for whatever reason, I always let them get away.

I paid little attention to the 28 gauge until later years.

I kind've thought 28 gauge ammo would be slightly more available, and slightly more affordable. I just checked with TargetSports... They have very few choices, so at least tonight, 28 gauge is only slightly more available than .410, but the price is close.

I love beautiful shotguns. And whenever I think of 28 gauge, I can only picture it in a really nice shotgun. And that's another of my problems. My safe queens seldom leave the house.

You have a very nice shotgun.

Last edited:
Sub-gauges, especially the .410, always intrigued me. I've owned a few, but for whatever reason, I always let them get away.

I paid little attention to the 28 gauge until later years.

I kind've thought 28 gauge ammo would be slightly more available, and slightly more affordable. I just checked with TargetSports... They have very few choices, so at least tonight, 28 gauge is only slightly more available than .410, but the price is close.

I love beautiful shotguns. And whenever I think of 28 gauge, I can only picture it in a really nice shotgun. And that's another of my problems. My safe queens seldom leave the house.

You have a very nice shotgun.

I've been reloading 28ga for waterfowl already and saving a ton. Can reload a box of pure steel for under $13, a box of TSS duplex for around $32-$45, and box of pure TSS for about $43-$58. The reason for the big range of cost on the last two is dependent on how much TSS is put in each shell. Really saves a ton of money reloading 410 and 28ga.

Thank you for the comment!

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
After a short search I found a Ruger Red Label 28Ga and it came with a Brand New Set of Briley Original Ruger Red Label 410 Bore 28" Tubes.

Stoked for this to be my second Ruger and my primary upland hunting O/U. While it is in mint condition and I plan to keep it that way, it will be hunted. No Safe Queen here.

Couple of my other 28Ga shotguns just because.
I have to say I am a little bit jealous that is the exact Red Label that I want if I ever get the chance to buy one. The 28 gauge has always intrigued me though I have never shot one but I love 410s as well. Nice set and good luck hunting

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
Love the 28!

Its my go to when it comes to grouse, woodcock and bunnies.

I buy flats of Winchester AA sporting clay loads in 7.5. Shoot that at the range and use the same stuff for upland birds

Usually use Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5 for bunnies.

Seems like the little 28 hits above its weight class

hedrok

Single-Sixer
I switched from 12ga to 28ga for trap when my neck and shoulder would no longer tolerate the recoil. Now, I won't shoot 12ga at all for any sport.
Reloads cost about $5-6 per box and take about an hour per hundred on a Mec Junior…so it's pretty inexpensive, comparatively.
OK…so my scores dropped a bit…but at my age, I wasn't going to set any records anyway. I do this for fun…not to see how much abuse my body can stand. I can still shoot 6-8 rounds and enjoy it. 12ga would be 2 rounds maximum.
BTW…bdeman…I'm jealous…That's a great gun!! I'm sure you'll find it a joy to shoot. And…Welcome!

I bought a 50th anniversary 28 gauge when they came out. It was my pheasant gun. I sold it for a big profit, but really regret it now. Nice thing about the Red Label 28 is that it wasn't just a set of 28-gauge barrels on a 20-gauge shotgun but was sized down.

Latest posts