Knife sharpening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Here's a couple of my favorites. I don't sharpen so much any more as I've gotten older. I just don't use my knives nearly as much.
20220810_040215.jpg
20220810_040028.jpg
as much.

I use a Smith's carbide ceramic combo next to the bed. Usually a few swipes on the ceramic and I'm good to go usually. If it needs more attention I have a diamond block with 4 grits

Threespears

Single-Sixer
I'll try to get one.
Thanks.
I was gifted one 20 years ago.
I since have gifted many.
if you are going to sharpen a few knives at a time this is a good way to go…

if EVERYONE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD wants you t sharpen for them…
there might be other options

deac45

Single-Sixer
Smith makes a kit very similar to the Lansky. I have both... I prefer the Smith as the stones are wider and I can be more consistent with the strokes. The Smith's clamp seems to be more stable on the blade also which means a more consistent angle is held. Consistent angle is the key to a good sharp edge.

I've tried many different sharpening techniques / methods / brands of sharpeners / styles / etc.

I don't like electric sharpeners. I tried the Trizor electric by Chef's Choice. I gave that away. I have the Work Sharp electric hand held sharpener right now. Both take off too much metal.

I have a wet stone, good, but difficult to maintain a consistent angle. I've tried the Lansky sharpener. It's also good, but you have to fiddle with it too much.

I bought the Work Sharp Precision unit pictured above in a post. I liked it, but they don't have an ultra fine grit stone. Or didn't when I had mine. So you get your knives sharp, but not as sharp as possible with that.

Contender talked me into buying the Wicked Edge system. They are made in America, and every bit as good as they say. I'm very happy with it. I only wish I would have bought the more expensive model.

http://www.wickededgeusa.com

I think for folks that buy throw-away knives it's probably not worth it to spend more that $20-30 on a sharpener if at all. But if you've been buying (or receiving) knives for decades, receiving them from father / grandfather, or own any of considerable value, then it makes perfect sense to get a good sharpening system. The idea of sharpening is simple, but what the expensive setups do is maintain the perfect angle throughout the sharpening process, and some flip the knife over (or get you access to the other side) within a split second or in real-time (like for the wicked edge), and these systems usually have a collection of quality stones and some setups easily handle different lengths of blades. After checking out a lot of systems and taking a while to eventually to commit to it, I eventually opted for a Hapstone setup. They come in a variety of configurations at different price points. If I didn't get it, I think I would have gotten the KME. Some guys like the TSPROF setup which is similar to the Hapstone. Another important detail to watch for is the clamp(s) that hold the blade so it doesn't get in the way of getting the angle you want. If you were on a tight budget but still wanted a solid, compact setup with quality stones, check out the KME.

EDIT: I should mention that the Hapstone system, which is completely modular and allows for many changes and upgrades, also has an option for blade support that is magnetic so you don't have to worry about the stone contacting the clamp.

Last edited:

tbone

Single-Sixer
I made a lot of knives out of old files. I used a Lansky for several years , then went to the diamond Lansky. I have had to replace it 3 times over the years because I wore it out. I have never found anything faster or easier to use. You can also buy single stones. I wear out the med and fine much faster than the coarse and x-coarse. The only thing I don't like is it won't work with a small pocket knife very well.
3 I had handy.
20231023_092637.jpg

dstegjas

Single-Sixer
I've tried a lot of sharpeners over the years and landed on the Lansky system. For some reason I could never use the diamond version very well. So I've stuck with the stone version. it's consistent and gives you a razors edge.

Sharpening a knife isn't that hard, but you have to take your time with it. In a pinch, I've even sharpened a pocket knife on the bottom of a coffee cup.

Latest posts