JWH Hammer Kit 'review'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Always-fixin'

Bearcat
A little piece back I inquired if anyone was familiar with the JWH brand of target hammer for the 10/22, and while I got lots of folks telling me what the 'better' option was, no one seemed familiar with the JWH. I got one and finally got around to installing it so I thought I'd post my impression of it. I'm not much of an 'expert' on triggers, so take it for what it's worth.

I got the kit 'cause my kids were having a difficult time with the trigger pull on a new 10/22. By the time I got the hammer kit a couple/few hundred rounds later it was starting to lighten up a bit on it's own, but my crude measuring system I devised still put it at about 6.5 lb. to about 7.25 lb. The JWH kit says it will take the pull down to 2.5 to 3 pounds, which I was worried might be a little TOO light for the kids to be safe, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. With the kit installed the pull is now about 4.8 to 5.2 lbs which is just about perfect. Oddly, I didn't really do anything else while I was in there except polish a few surfaces with only a rag and some oil, but the trigger is significantly better now. The pull weight is more consistent, from .75 lb typical variance to only .4 lb. It's a noticeably lighter pull with much less creep and a cleaner break. I had been tempted to sell the kit on to someone else, but now I'm glad I tried it out, I really like it. One side note; I did NOT replace the hammer spring with the one from the kit. I didn't want anything to make the bolt harder to pull back.