sp101 2013 22lr heavy hammer spring replacement question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
Hi,
I have a 2013 stainless sp101 22lr that has that heavy 16# hammer spring in it.
Woolf makes a kit that has a 13, 14, and 15# hammer spring.
Has anybody successfully used one of the Woolf replacement hammer springs and had good results that did not produce a large number of light hits?

Thanks for your input if you've been down this road.

Cheers,

Crab

contender

Ruger Guru
Many people seen to think a lighter spring is the best option for a smoother action.

I prefer to use the factory weights to allow for reliable ignition of ammo. Instead of trying to "lighten" the action, I prefer to have the action smoothed up by a gunsmith or even my ham fisted stoning & polishing.

I've handled a world champion & world record holder's gun. He prefers to use HEAVIER springs,, but you can't tell it because the gun has a good action job, and is SMOOTH!

But to answer the OP's question, I've not personally swapped out any of my springs,, but I have seen it done a bunch.

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I have Woolf springs in my SP101 .22LR. I will tell you if you go to light on your hammer spring you will have a lot of misfires. I don't remember what I one I settled on but the 9lb one was to light in mine and I think I went with the 10 lb spring. They are fairly easy to switch out, start with the lowest and work your way up till you're getting no misfires

I've tried the Woolf kit and it didn't work too well for me. I think I've switched back to the factory spring but I'm still getting 3-5 misfires/cylinder. I'm going to have to take all my springs to the range and spend the day confirming that. I would also note that when I got this pistol new the front sight was not indexed correctly and I had one of the MIM parts broke, so this pistol has been back to the factory twice already. Ruger is famous for their customer service (which is why I buy them) so IF I can't solve the problem I hope they can fix this

In spite of polishing the innards of my SP101 in .22LR, no spring other than the factory Ram 2500 spring would reliably ignite any .22 ammo I've ever tried. I reinstalled the factory spring, and promptly sold the revolver to someone who was less critical of the trigger pull.

James also

Bearcat
Many people seen to think a lighter spring is the best option for a smoother action.

I prefer to use the factory weights to allow for reliable ignition of ammo. Instead of trying to "lighten" the action, I prefer to have the action smoothed up by a gunsmith or even my ham fisted stoning & polishing.

I've handled a world champion & world record holder's gun. He prefers to use HEAVIER springs,, but you can't tell it because the gun has a good action job, and is SMOOTH!

But to answer the OP's question, I've not personally swapped out any of my springs,, but I have seen it done a bunch.
We had that problem with building PPC revolvers. For reloaders the answer was use Federal primers, They are the softest of all primers to ignite

contender

Ruger Guru
I shoot a revolver in USPSA. Federal primers are considered the best ones to use by most folks. As in; "easier to ignite."
But as noted,, the discussion here is rimfires.