Preferred spring kit for ruger lcp 2 22LR?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kevguth

Bearcat
Hello everyone, my new ruger lcp2 in 22LR is arriving. I'm concerned about ammunition reliability. I've read several opinions on ammunition type already. What else I've come across is replacing some of the springs.

My question is, for those who have done it, which spring kit did you use and do you recommend it?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

As noted above,, I'd FIRST try the gun out with a few different types of ammo. All too often,, people read internet hype thinking something is "wrong" with an "as shipped" factory built gun.
I can attest to the fact that is not the case in general. I have shot hundreds of guns, w/o ANY modifications from the factory,, that were just fine.
That's not to say that I've never tinkered with a gun, to tweak things a bit to make it better for a specific purpose.
But in general,,, a good cleaning, internally, then shooting a new gun for a few hundred rounds is all many ever need.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Have not used this but have been very happy with other Mcarbo springs and parts.I have built several others. AK,Marlin60,S&W.They have good how to videos and will spend time on the phone with you. https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-lcp-2-accessories.aspx You might want to swap out the take down pin also. I did on my LCP MAX. The head on the factory pin can snap off. Watch all the videos first then order.Also Mcarbo's YouTube channel for more. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW1MvigK0UMxxlM1C3TZ_Sg

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Contender is right. Shoot as many brands as you can first. I have a "first day" box of about 15? different 22s just to see what cycles. What works in your gun may not work in it's twin.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
Pay attention to loading the magazines. CCI Mini Mags will run in a LCP II all day. CCI standard velocity runs good, too.
Why waste time trying to get other ammo to work?

I have had no reason to tinker with mine at all. Just be sure to use proper ammo. Though I never hear of it here, I find Aguila Super Extra works great, as well as CCI Stinger, and even CCI Blazer. Just skip low velocities, especially sub-sonics, which WILL cause problems.

kevguth

Bearcat
Thank you everyone for your reply. Just wanted to provide an update.

I took it to the range today after an initial dismantling, cleaning, and lubricating.

I shot 100 rounds of CCI minimag (purchased a day ago). There were 2 failures to fire (round #25 and round #95). On these two rounds, you could see where the firing pin had struck the rim. Both were put back through and fired uneventfully the second time. Zero failures to feed, zero failures to eject.

Then I shot 25 rounds of cheaper federal range ammo and had 2 more failures to fire. One of the two rounds failed to fire twice, so I didn't try a third time.

Looks like I'll stick with CCI minimag for now.

kevguth

Bearcat
Pay attention to loading the magazines. CCI Mini Mags will run in a LCP II all day. CCI standard velocity runs good, too.
Why waste time trying to get other ammo to work?
What do you mean by "pay attention to loading the magazines"?

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
Use the supplied Ruger loader and follow the instructions for loading. The ammo will rim lock if you don't pay attention, in my experience.

kevguth

Bearcat
Use the supplied Ruger loader and follow the instructions for loading. The ammo will rim lock if you don't pay attention, in my experience.
Thank you. Interesting. I purchased the display model and the loader was missing from the box. Because I don't use a loader for my 9mm firearms I didn't sweat not having it. I guess I'll have to look into this more. Not sure I cannot physically accomplish with my finger what the Ruger loader does.