Just joined the SP101 club!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Damageinc

Bearcat
Just got my Ruger SP101 .357 w/3" barrel today at a gun show for $425. Also picked up a Hogue Monogrip to change out but may also consider another brand grip as well.

Here is a pic.

Sp101.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
...And the lock works great on a shed. :roll: :roll: :D

I have the same gun and like it a lot. I had to take some edges off around the trigger, trigger-guard and the hammer spur. I also put a spring kit in it after break-in and now it is purrrrrrr-ing like a kitten. I find I like the smaller Factory grip compaired to the Hogue soft rubber one. :D

...Jimbo

Damageinc

Bearcat
Thanks jazzman and jimbo. I will post some pics once I get the hogue grip on. Can't wait to fire it. The stock grip feels a little small in my hand so that plus the recoil factor is why I am replacing it.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Congrats. I definitely have 2, 3, or 4 more on the "list". LOL Gotta at least find the 9mm and .22, right? Shot mine for the 3rd time day before yesterday. Had some ammo trouble (posted on here), but the 2nd time shooting magnums through it wasn't near as bad as first. Which wasn't bad, just not used to the gun at all. Mine has the factory CTC grips, which I think are pretty comfortable. Maybe not the best, but I like them.

Hugh

Buckeye
Wow! Very nice. I have the 2-1/4" and am looking forward to the 3-1/16" .357. I have Trausch grips on mine and plan on the same grips when I get the 3-1/16".

Congratulations.

Mandan

Bearcat
Was looking at those whe I bought my LCR. Still want one. Just have not had the funding available to make the investment yet. I like the grips I have seen with the inserts (wood and other neat stuff)! Great looking revolver. Shoot and enjoy!

Damageinc":3pony1dc said:
Just got my Ruger SP101 .357 w/3" barrel today at a gun show for $425. Also picked up a Hogue Monogrip to change out but may also consider another brand grip as well.

Ironically, I sold a SP101 today, leaving me only one, in .22LR.

Grips? A very personal thing, but the original grips in your picture worked extremely well for me, making the SP101 much more controllable and comfortable than any other .357 revolver in its class. And, the size of the original grips help to keep the overall size and concealability of the SP101 in check.

As I said, grips are a very personal thing, but when a guy has a small-frame revolver with a 3" barrel, and then he's got plans to put bigger grips on it, then I wonder why a bigger revolver wasn't chosen to start with.

You'll do what you want, as I do what I want, but give the original grips a try. You just might be pleasantly surprised.8)

WAYNO.

Pinger

Bearcat
I just picked up an SP101 (.357 Magnum) in March and I love it. It's lots of fun! I know you're going to love it to.

DonD":3jjwg3zy said:
I have fairly large hands and the stock grip lets the trigger guard beat my middle finger to death (unpleasant and the middle finger is required for driving in Albuquerque). For me the Hogues are a vast improvement, I'll deal with their greater bulk. Don

A common complaint. I have very wide fingers and hands. These grips don't have room for all your fingers. If your pinky resides beneath the grip, there is plenty of room to get your driving finger away from the trigger guard.

Whatever works!

WAYNO.

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
Yeah, but that stock grip does an awesome job of handling recoil.....welcome to the club.

Damageinc

Bearcat
Thanks for all the input guys. I will try both grips to see which feels best but the stock grip feels a little small in my hands.

I have heard alot of people change the grips due to the recoil with hot .357 rounds and I have never filed .357 before sooooo I will have to try them both.

welder

Buckeye
I have one in .357 3" and 9mm 3". They are great. I must say I like the 9mm better and haven't fired the .357 since I got the 9mm. I have the Hogue grip on the .357 and factory on the 9. I guess that doesn't help much but it works for me. Congrats on the Sp. you'll really like it I'm sure. :D

ray1970

Single-Sixer
don't be afraid to give other grips a chance... I found that even a set of wood grips could make recoil tolerable if they fit your hand well....

DSCF1761.jpg

OysterMan

Bearcat
Those are some fine looking grips.

My 2.25" SP101 came with the CTC grips. Though I have large hands and might find larger grips more comfortable the gun the way I have it now (I had the springs changed and the internals "cleaned-up") is proving to serve it's role for me nicely, so I'm gonna stick with the laser grips.

Damageinc

Bearcat
I like the wood grips too. I was wondering if they reduce the recoil any. Thank you for the info.

ray1970":13wxqlic said:
don't be afraid to give other grips a chance... I found that even a set of wood grips could make recoil tolerable if they fit your hand well....

DSCF1761.jpg

ray1970

Single-Sixer
Damageinc":4kybfqwa said:
I like the wood grips too. I was wondering if they reduce the recoil any. Thank you for the info.

I wouldn't necessarily say the wooden grips "reduce recoil".... but having a firm, full grip on the revolver helps control the recoil better... if that makes sense.

Damageinc

Bearcat
Well I got to the range to shoot the new SP101 .357 w/3" barrel and Hogue grip.

Started out with .38 special +P Remington which was a bit snappy but felt good to shoot and not to much to handle.

Then we shot .357 124 grain JSP from Remington. This has a bigger kick then the .38 +P. The .357 was still manageable although I would not want to shoot 100 rounds straight with it. I shot 10 rounds of the .357. We also shot .38 Special WWB which was like shooting .22 after the .38 +P and .357 loads.

The cylinder did bind up a bit due to the build up but I gave it a good cleaning and lube and will see how it shoots next time.