Is Open Carry contributing to crime?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
" I find it interesting that the public as a whole is uncomfortable with seeing the average citizen armed but they have been condition that it is fine to see a person in uniform armed. The irony as I understand history is when this country was formed it was just the opposite."

Ironic isn't it?

A very good observation here.

Mental conditioning to make people act one way or another.

So,, by open carrying,, we can SLOWLY re-condition some people. But it is, and will be a hard, uphill battle.

Many good points showing the positive aspects of open carry. I may start carrying open more often. In higher-traffic areas. I still don't want to be the guy pushed into the fray in a mini-mart.

For me it is a personal issue that I'm well known in my town and run across folks who I've worked for all the time and really don't want to get into a discussion with either them or even a stranger about guns and such.... just me, I'm not good at confrontation of any kind. Also, to just be honest with yous guys and gals, the church I go to (actually it's called a fellowship) is the most liberal house of 'worship' here in Greenville and some of the folks there are.... well, I can't even explain how far out there in left field they are. But my personal commitment is that somebody needs to be out there with them to protect them. Contender is in a different demographic as well as he is a tad more open and assertive than me... also, I guess from a average person's view... a person in animal control should be more likely to carry a gun than a chimney sweep.

I am more likely to carry open on the rare occasion I go 'down home' to Edgefield county here in S.C. (Strom Thurmond's home town). It is a very rural part of S.C. and I feel much more 'gun friendly'. Besides that, no one remembers me there.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Contender is in a different demographic as well as he is a tad more open and assertive than me... also, I guess from a average person's view... a person in animal control should be more likely to carry a gun than a chimney sweep."

Yeah,, I guess I am a bit more assertive than many people. And I'm willing to stand my ground to defend my beliefs. And yes,, many folks do assume I'm a gun owner or carrier due to my job.

But by open carrying,, and allowing the public to see it,, points directly to making it more normal,, so that anybody,, even chimney sweeps wouldn't be suspect if carrying.

But I truly support AND defend the people who choose to only CCW.

Latest posts