Is my PC9 collectible?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Desmoface

Bearcat
Hello everyone, newbie here from NE Ohio. I happened to be reading online about my old Ruger rifle sitting in the closet, and as it turns out, I think it was one of the earlier pc9's. I was wondering if there is any collector value for an older pc9? I know they were only made for a relatively short time and mine is pretty old - I bought it new in 1997. Here are some pictures, including the ser#. Thanks in advance.

PC9 by desmoface, on Flickr

PC9a by desmoface, on Flickr

PC9Ser by desmoface, on Flickr

Thanks for reading.

Steve

9x19

Hunter
The earliest guns were marked "Police Carbine", still the prices have gone way up in recent years, even on those just marked "Carbine".

Desmoface

Bearcat
LOL Blume 357. What got me looking is I'm thinking about trading it in on a benelli supernova for home defense. A little research on its value led me to find that it may be first yr production based on the ser#.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve

jor-el

Bearcat
I think most people looking for a PC9 or other pistol caliber carbines are looking for something to use not to collect.
It's a niche item that answers a question few people are asking.
Myself, I'm in the market for one with a narrow set of circumstances to justify my desire for one.
I currently live in one of the worst ban states possible. A "featureless" firearm which the PC9 qualifies as would allow cheap practice with 9mm ammo with hunting/defense applications a 10/22 would not provide.
The only issue I have is that there is something of an expiration date as Ruger is shutting down most of the parts production for the PC9 as I understand it. W/O a source of repair parts the PC becomes an expensive club.

Specs

Single-Sixer
Interesting. Mine is marked "Police Carbine" but has a slightly newer SN. Chet on the forum here is the go to guy on SN history.

chet15

Hawkeye
My notes show 470-00620 to 470-01913 and 470-04669-up being marked "Ruger Carbine".
Ruger Police Carbine guns are known from 470-00010 to 470-00023 (probably up to 470-00500) and 470-02957 to 470-03903, so there were two different spans were Ruger used the Police Carbine rollmark.
Ruger rid the rollmark of the word "Police" to make it sound not so "militant".
Chet15

welder

Buckeye
jor-el said:
The only issue I have is that there is something of an expiration date as Ruger is shutting down most of the parts production for the PC9 as I understand it. W/O a source of repair parts the PC becomes an expensive club.

Jor-el,
Do you have any more information as to when that might happen. I really like these little carbines and was hoping to pick one up but if Ruger stops supporting them I may just keep on trying to get a KelTec 2000 that would work with the Glock mag.

I can't buy a recoil spring, cup or clip for the P95's I bought months ago and don't want to have that happen with the carbine.

jor-el

Bearcat
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=17554&pageNumber=1

Most of the critical parts, firing pin, extractor, ejector, and all the springs are special order only.

I'm probably wrong, but I remember it being mentioned either on arfcom or Perfect Union that PC9 and PC4 parts were coming to an end.

The price of unpopular weapons choices...

So, how many broken PC9s have been mentioned here. .... at least that have not been modified first?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a gun has a problem only because parts are no longer available... on the very rare chance that a part breaks, it sure seems to me like a good gun smith could make the part.

welder

Buckeye
I personally like the idea of a company supporting a product it sold me, but hey that's just me. I'm funny that way. YMMV

BTW, I just received a large box of parts and supplies for a tractor that was made in 1952, still factory supported by my dealer.

blume357 said:
So, how many broken PC9s have been mentioned here. .... at least that have not been modified first?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a gun has a problem only because parts are no longer available... on the very rare chance that a part breaks, it sure seems to me like a good gun smith could make the part.

What he said. :mrgreen:

jor-el said:
The price of unpopular weapons choices...

Unpopular? Maybe to the folks who've no experience with them. These are a great gun. Always have been. I still contend it was dealers that killed this gun. If they decide what's not gonna sell, and then do not stock them, then I guarantee it can't sell. The prophesy is fulfilled.

And to the OP...Are these collectable? Well, not collectable like a painting. But desirable? Yes. When we compare the prices these PC4's and PC9's are selling for today, and compare these prices to the $400 they sold for new, boy it seems they've really gone up in value. But, when the PC's were originally available, Mini-14's and AR-15's were close to the same price as the PC back then.

So now, Mini's and AR's have increased in cost, roughly double, as has the PC. So no, I don't think the PC has appreciated in value because of collectability, but it's increased in cost because of inflation. And the folks that appreciate these little guns are willing to pay the going rate. They don't remain for sale very long.

WAYNO.

Shooter973

Bearcat
I'll never live long enough to wear out my PC 9, they like all other Rugers are built like a tank.i own a lot of Rugers and have never had one break.
I own several Rugers that have gone out of production, and I still shoot them, A lot.
P series hand guns, Ruger model one handguns,and rifles, never a broken one in the bunch. Spare parts for these don't scare me in the least.

57springer

Buckeye
welder said:
I personally like the idea of a company supporting a product it sold me, but hey that's just me. I'm funny that way. YMMV

BTW, I just received a large box of parts and supplies for a tractor that was made in 1952, still factory supported by my dealer.
Yes I agree they should support it . I bought one used, about 2 years ago at Cabelas took it home and on the third shot the whole trigger group fell apart in pieces, called Ruger about fixing it no deal. I am a big ruger fan but ,these are junk... bought a 9mm high point to replace it , now have over 5000 rounds through it and NEVER a ftf fte not one . :roll:

Ruger45

Blackhawk
And just for giggles here is one on GB NIB http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=455017440

57springer said:
Yes I agree they should support it . I bought one used, about 2 years ago at Cabelas took it home and on the third shot the whole trigger group fell apart in pieces, called Ruger about fixing it no deal. I am a big ruger fan but ,these are junk... bought a 9mm high point to replace it , now have over 5000 rounds through it and NEVER a ftf fte not one . :roll:

blume357 said:

Sounds like the exploding trigger group was a by-product of Bubba! :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

welder

Buckeye
Most likely. The PC9 is profoundly robust if it's anything. They were designed to be cop proof and a look inside bears that out.

Latest posts