Linear Comp on my LC45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Got a CMMG comp yesterday, and tried it out today. Can't say it made any difference in noise, recoil, or anything else. But since it doesn't add any significant weight I'll leave it on. Makes the rifle look more tacticoolish tho so probably wouldn't be welcome in NYC, etc.
;)

comp2.jpg

NikA

Buckeye
That's a linear compensator, and probably too short of one to make any real noise difference.

The following link is what CMMG used to put on their .45 ACP PCCs, looks like they discontinued it for something more TactiCool. If you're interested, I have one pulled off a new CMMG .45. Might have some other options as well. I think they're a bit silly so swap them for thread protectors or suppressor mounts.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
That's a linear compensator, and probably too short of one to make any real noise difference.

The following link is what CMMG used to put on their .45 ACP PCCs, looks like they discontinued it for something more TactiCool. If you're interested, I have one pulled off a new CMMG .45. Might have some other options as well. I think they're a bit silly so swap them for thread protectors or suppressor mounts.

Thanks, but I'm not going to try out or buy something else for this. I might just take a dremel to the one I have and sharpen the points to turn it into a very short circular bayonet tho. ;)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
.45 ACP doesn't have enough pressure to make comps effective... part of the reason .38 Super took over USPSA and IPSC comps way back in the late 70s, early 80s.
Hickok45 got ahold of one a few days ago. Put a really long can on it, and said he'd be doing a review soon. Video here shows it and a few shots.

Since the 45ACP is basically sub-sonic with most all ammo, it should(?) be easy to suppress. Keeping the bullet well below speed of sound is the big factor if you want quiet. Hickok's typical shooting area isn't a good place to 'test' a suppressor. The trees will reflect quite a bit of sound back to the shooter/recording device.
As far as the linear comp(blast forwarder) devices, the results I've seen are questionable. Something like a .223 or short barrel 6.5 Creedmoor are noticeably easier on the ears. I use them on my pickup/UTV rifles which are usually fired w/o ear pro in the field. A 22 or 9mm doesn't seem to be helped all that much by the 'wannabe sound suppressors' and basically only real benefit comes from extending barrel length.

Got a CMMG comp yesterday, and tried it out today. Can't say it made any difference in noise, recoil, or anything else. But since it doesn't add any significant weight I'll leave it on. Makes the rifle look more tacticoolish tho so probably wouldn't be welcome in NYC, etc.
;)

View attachment 41036
Not all "Linear Comps" work the same. Several of mine while not "Hearing Safe" make a difference behind the gun. A 45acp carbine should almost be hearing safe anyway. Perfect for HD in confined spaces. Try the Kaw Valley or Wing Tactical versions

Last edited:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Since the 45ACP is basically sub-sonic with most all ammo, it should(?) be easy to suppress. Keeping the bullet well below speed of sound is the big factor if you want quiet. Hickok's typical shooting area isn't a good place to 'test' a suppressor. The trees will reflect quite a bit of sound back to the shooter/recording device.
As far as the linear comp(blast forwarder) devices, the results I've seen are questionable. Something like a .223 or short barrel 6.5 Creedmoor are noticeably easier on the ears. I use them on my pickup/UTV rifles which are usually fired w/o ear pro in the field. A 22 or 9mm doesn't seem to be helped all that much by the 'wannabe sound suppressors' and basically only real benefit comes from extending barrel length.
I shoot all kinds of .45 ACP rounds out of my .45LV Ruger Blackhawk, and speceral different rounds that are super sonic (above 750 mph = about ~1,100 fps. None of these are very loud until you get above .1200 fps. Of course, .45 LC is a totally different story.

Latest posts