Interesting Ruger info at Assoc. of Firearm & Toolmark Examiners web site

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've used the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners (AFTE) web site for years, to identify cartridge case headstamps. While poking around the site this morning, I realized they have a professional journal (duh). Because I'm not a member, I could not access complete articles without paying ($5 for non-members?), but a search using the keyword "Ruger" turned up some interesting abstracts:

Ruger Mark I Pistol Accidental Discharges - Examination revealed that if a cocked Ruger Mark I pistol with the safety in the OFF position was dropped muzzle down allowing the front of the trigger guard to be struck the pistol would discharge. It discharged 40 out of 41 times. If the safety is ON, the pistol did not discharge.

Ruger Blackhawk Automatic Revolver Conversion - A case report on an attempt to convert a Ruger Blackhawk revolver to fully automatic fire. The frame and cylinder from a Ruger Blackhawk were retrofitted with a 30 M-1 caliber barrel and gas piston. A longer cylinder pin was used to contact the gas piston of the M-1 barrel, which drove the pin to the rear upon firing the first cartridge. This action also rotated the cylinder to the next firing position. In concept, holding the trigger to the rear would accomplish fully automatic discharge. In practice, the full auto functioned only once during testing.

A "Hidden" Serial Number on the Ruger Bearcat - The author reports that Ruger Bearcats with a brass colored trigger guard have a duplicate serial number on the inside top of the trigger guard.

Examination of a Ruger Security-Six Revolver For Accidental Discharge - By closing the cylinder of a Ruger Security-Six when the hammer is cocked, the extractor can lift the pawl up, pulling the trigger back. This can cause the transfer bar to engage, and the hammer to fall, resulting in an accidental discharge.

Ruger Security-Six Rifling Specifications - After the first years of production of the Ruger Security-Six in calibers 357 Magnum and 38 Special, new rifling specifications began to be phased into production in 1972. Both rifling specifications are listed.

Anyone interested can find the AFTE web site at:

The searchable journal index is at:

:)

Last edited:
most common knowledge of working on them over the years, as well as production methods ( the so called "hidden") serial number was to keep the "fitted" parts, the brass anodized trigger guard to the black/blue anodized aluminum main frame.... and if you drop about ANY firearm that is "cocked and loaded" on an angle that opposes the position of the hammer .sear,. it will dislodge and go bang, and on and on guess it makes for good reading for the 'neophytes' much like dropping the slide on a 1911 "match" gun and the hammer/sear, bounces and goes "bang" and on and on,,,yes High Standard's too...:unsure::cool:
also like "fooling the trigger on an M-1 carbine and get it to go off in a few extra round "bursts",,,been there, seen that , done that....lots of "Old stuff" being recycled, as I always call it ,"more Ruger lore" in this case....read the books and see the pictures from "back then".....racks of Bearcats being "assembled"...ah , so many memories...:cool::rolleyes:;)

most common knowledge of working on them over the years... ah , so many memories...:cool::rolleyes:;)

Any idea what the change in rifling specs was on the Security Six revolvers, back in 1972? Number of lands/grooves, or twist rate, or what? Or why Ruger might have changed it? The only Ruger revolvers I've owned were single action, and only one of those was .38/.357, so I didn't pay much attention to changes in the Security Six when it was being produced. (Would definitely grab one now, if I found one at the right price!)

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:
they were getting all kinds of suggestions and ideas when they were trying so hard to get the 'law enforcement ' market back then but lots of pressure from S&W onne reason they "tried" with the 9mm revolvers but short lived too complicated for "combat situations"...same with the 38/357 with bullets weight and length of barrel needed again around and around, more ammo fit in ANY magazine versus a cylindered revolver, do the math and how many officers to put in a zone car with the weapons they carried, I know in Cleveland back then the time of the riots, late 1960s ALL the LE were out gunned by the 'perps' on the street ,I still recall the mayor marching on Hough Ave. with Ahmed Evans, with their 30 cal M-1 carbines, well oh well lots to be learned and still to be found out..............as for the Six series revolvers and our work with /on them and then no longer made nor supported by the factory, and the newer bigger GPs and the L frame S&W , bigger ,better hold up better, BUT still ONLY 6 rounds.....duh NOT rocket science for the LE "on the street"... :unsure: :(

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Ruger Blackhawk Automatic Revolver Conversion - A case report on an attempt to convert a Ruger Blackhawk revolver to fully automatic fire. The frame and cylinder from a Ruger Blackhawk were retrofitted with a 30 M-1 caliber barrel and gas piston. A longer cylinder pin was used to contact the gas piston of the M-1 barrel, which drove the pin to the rear upon firing the first cartridge. This action also rotated the cylinder to the next firing position. In concept, holding the trigger to the rear would accomplish fully automatic discharge. In practice, the full auto functioned only once during testing.
Wow! I never associate a Blackhawk with full-auto fire :D