Need some serious input none of those half rigging engineering deals.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Sorry dont mean to sound rude. Does anyone have experience with re drilling a small hole that almost halfway overlaps a hole that was drilled wrong. If what i got does not affect poi i will not worry about redrilling.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I was thinking of using diamond and stone bits in dremmel to enlarge slightly and move the side of the hole over to where it needs to be. Then fill with jb weld.
Wait about 36 hrs then center punch and redrill and tap. Its just for a sight ,nothing that needs to handle alot of stress jyst hold sight from pivoting on the other screw. Thanks

Hoofnit

Bearcat
There is no good way to accomplish this without a milling machine, use a screw to plug the hole in the wrong spot, use red loctite or black super glue, wait 24 hours, locate new hole and use a 2 flute end mill slightly smaller than or equal to desired hole size (because of the cutting geometry it wont walk into the old hole) size with appropriate drill bit & tap...hopefully the plug stays in place.
Alternatively and probably the "do it right" solution is to locate the new hole & determine the size required from that location to encompass the hole in error, use an end mill of the closest size to remove it and fabricate a plug, threaded or tig welded in place, drill & thread a new hole in the appropriate new location...
or install a plug and tig weld, use sand or kitty litter to slow cooling after welding,( to keep it annealed) relocate new hole, drill and tap...

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Thankyou very much Hoofnit
I dont have the knowledge or equipment to do this. Sounds like you really know what you are talking about.
You must have a good history in Nachine tool and gun smithing.

Guessing this might provide some context for anyone offering advice:

As always IIRC, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

A brass punch moving the front sight in the direction it needs to be pushed won't work. Thats easy peasy. I have pushed a few sights front and back where that was possible. Your problem about drilling needs to be done in a gun shop with a person who knows what they're doing.

NikA

Buckeye
The "best" method would probably be to fill the first hole with welding/brazing and drill the new hole. Doesn't sound like that's an option. May be time to involve someone that knows what they're doing...

el caminero

Single-Sixer
Sorry dont mean to sound rude. Does anyone have experience with re drilling a small hole that almost halfway overlaps a hole that was drilled wrong. If what i got does not affect poi i will not worry about redrilling.
My thought would be, tap the error hole, run a screw in it, the loktite or superglue is good if you cant silversolder it, finish the surface, drill new hole.

s4s4u

Hunter
The answer is no, there is no easy way to accomplish this. As has been mentioned, weld/fill the old hole(s) and mill smooth and then drill a new hole. Can we see a picture so we can see what the issue is?

I will try one more time.
USE ONE HOLE that is all that is required. I told you in one other post those holes are a little hard to D&T due to the angles and trying to get it lined up and clamped in place. Now you and the rifle are both screwed

From previous post.
The way I adjust my Lyman Tang Sights ( I only use the one factory hole) to a 90 degree vertical position if required. Take a thin piece of cardboard or two and place under one side of the sight then tighten down SNUG. Now adjust the front sight as required. The Marble Tang sights have windage adjustment.
DO NOT mess with the threaded tang receiver hole. All you will do is screw it up. This isn't rocket science. It is a pistol caliber 45 Colts that is only good for 100/200 yards or so.

Guessing this might provide some context for anyone offering advice:

As always IIRC, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

I have messed with a few tang sights both Lyman and Marbles.

1709222568821.png

1709222619879.png

1709222659349.png

The answer is no, there is no easy way to accomplish this. As has been mentioned, weld/fill the old hole(s) and mill smooth and then drill a new hole. Can we see a picture so we can see what the issue is?
I can tell you from past experience what took place. Both the Lyman and Marble Tang Sights have two holes in them for mounting to the tang of the receiver. The rear hole uses the factory hole that attaches the stock to the rifle. The front hole has to be drilled and tapped which isn't that easy to do. Yes I have done it a few times with success. BUT the 3rd Marlin from the left has an unuseable OFF CENTER hole. That can not be easily fixed so the sight is held on with only the rear screw. Yea I screwed it up. :) 1000 and 1000s of 45 Colt rounds have been fired along with the rifle being thrown down on tables during SASS matches without a problem.

1709223667050.png

One screw on this 45-70 and the bolt straddles the sight when levering
1709223903978.png

Last edited:

Latest posts