I'm hooked.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

magnum711

Bearcat
I picked up my 4th single action Ruger Friday, and it's the best one yet.

To start the my journey, I always wanted a single six to toss around. I remember seeing them used for ~$125 in decent condition. Fast forward 20 years I get serious about buying one, and find they're double that price for half the condition. I finally found one for $150 that had about 10% blueing and rust pits to china. I cleaned it up and cold blued to a 70% gun. LOVE it!

Then I wanted to find a Blackhawk in .357. Well, as luck would have it, I found a local guy selling a OM 4 5/8" convertible with box. He was asking some crazy price or trade for ammo (this was back during the last crazy ammo drought). I traded him $311 worth of ammo for the gun. Woo hoo! I then found this site trying to figure out what I had really bought. (I still need to post pictures to see what I should do with it)

I was quite happy for a while, until Robb posted some pictures of a custom .41. I always wanted a .41 mag since selling a .44 mag Super Blackhawk (the only gun I don't regret selling :wink: ). I kept looking until i found the one I wanted. 4 5/8" NM, lightest of turn ring, and $350. It's mine! Now I got a big bore, and love it. I see what all the fuss is on the big, slow moving bullets. They're pretty sweet.

You'd think a guy would content. Nope. I have a couple custom guns, on different platforms, and I think the .41 could be better. Enter the latest purchase. A New Vaquero that is destined to converted to what I want. It's a blued .357 with a 5 1/2" barrel. I haven't shot yet (might not), but I absolutely love the steel grip frame (and size), steel ERH, and balance of the 5 1/2" barrel. It will be converted to a .41 mag with a Clement's pre-war adjustable rear sight, for the highlights. I'll probably dump the NM .41 when it's done, but that will free up some cash for the next Ruger custom. LOL.

You guys are a bad influence, and I appreciate it. :D

Phil

magnum711

Bearcat
They are like chips. I'm thinking that the next one might be a Vaquero sheriff, blued .41.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Rugeritis can NOT be cured but can only be put into remission by buying another Ruger. That is just a temporary relief though. I find myself looking for the next one even before I have fired the last one I bought. Signed....Hopeless in WA.

magnum711

Bearcat
I'm not worried about #1s, but I'd really like to get a Marlin 1894 CCL in 41 mag. I can't even find one for sale, let alone a good price. LOL. I may have to see if one of the S&W guys has one they'd trade for a 1026.

adam12

Single-Sixer
Wait a doggone minute! The Ruger #1 is the most beautiful production rifle made in the USA. Hands down.

OK, carry on........

bigbobg

Bearcat
magnum711 said:
I picked up my 4th single action Ruger Friday, and it's the best one yet.

To start the my journey, I always wanted a single six to toss around. I remember seeing them used for ~$125 in decent condition. Fast forward 20 years I get serious about buying one, and find they're double that price for half the condition. I finally found one for $150 that had about 10% blueing and rust pits to china. I cleaned it up and cold blued to a 70% gun. LOVE it!

Then I wanted to find a Blackhawk in .357. Well, as luck would have it, I found a local guy selling a OM 4 5/8" convertible with box. He was asking some crazy price or trade for ammo (this was back during the last crazy ammo drought). I traded him $311 worth of ammo for the gun. Woo hoo! I then found this site trying to figure out what I had really bought. (I still need to post pictures to see what I should do with it)

I was quite happy for a while, until Robb posted some pictures of a custom .41. I always wanted a .41 mag since selling a .44 mag Super Blackhawk (the only gun I don't regret selling :wink: ). I kept looking until i found the one I wanted. 4 5/8" NM, lightest of turn ring, and $350. It's mine! Now I got a big bore, and love it. I see what all the fuss is on the big, slow moving bullets. They're pretty sweet.

You'd think a guy would content. Nope. I have a couple custom guns, on different platforms, and I think the .41 could be better. Enter the latest purchase. A New Vaquero that is destined to converted to what I want. It's a blued .357 with a 5 1/2" barrel. I haven't shot yet (might not), but I absolutely love the steel grip frame (and size), steel ERH, and balance of the 5 1/2" barrel. It will be converted to a .41 mag with a Clement's pre-war adjustable rear sight, for the highlights. I'll probably dump the NM .41 when it's done, but that will free up some cash for the next Ruger custom. LOL.

You guys are a bad influence, and I appreciate it. :D

Phil
Hey, at least you're not out gambling and chasing women. :mrgreen:

ginzo

Single-Sixer
I'm on my 2nd already. Got the 1st one in April, this year. I like the Security series. Damn viscous virus. No known cure.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Good on you!

I will just make one observation: You mentioned you did not miss your .44 mag ...... I'll differ with that.

I know .41's and .44's ...... and bigger ........ before I would let go of a .44 ...... I'd take up handloading. The .41 will drive you to handload and if you load up the .41 with heavy bullets ...... the difference in recoil is slim.

You handload and you can take any of the cartridges from .357 on up (I am assuming the .32's are the same fish but I have not worked with them) and customize the loads to suit your taste. You don't need to step from the .44 to the .41 to lose recoil ......... it will follow you and if you go to .41 ...... you'll need to handload anyway! Checkmate!

Best regards

Three 44s